BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Sports & Games

Sports & Games Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, bowling, swimming, badminton, skiing, ping-pong, skateboarding...if it's a sport or game, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default 2012 Summer Olympics

I'm surprised no one has said anything about this so far.......

Did anyone watch the opening ? I think the opening and closing are the best parts and enjoy them a lot. The copper things they carried with each country as they entered made a beautiful display with the torch. Many are whining about the fact it is too short to see outside of the stadium. Get over it.

Mohamed Allie was there. Not much left of the guy anymore. Paul McCartney was good. Sounded just a little off. But then he is about 70, I think.

Many years ago Rune Arledge the big cahoona announcer for the Olympics said you will never see any of the shooting sports, trap skeet biathlon, on TV anymore at the Olympics because of there "militaristic" aspect.

Local news did a nice story about the American woman who got a gold in trap shooting. She is 34 yo. and has been competing, and meddled in every Olympics since she was 17.

I don't always watch a whole event. Just parts of a lot of them. Last night watch a little of the pairs women diving. Volleyball, and some gymnastics.

Anyone else enjoy this ?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM

I watch part of the opening. I like to see the teams as they enter, just to see how many come from that country. The larger teams like US Russia and China have huge teams. Sometimes only a single person is from a country like Somoa.

The events I wanted to see ...as far as I know ...were not televised and are already over. Skeet shooting and fencing.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM

I don't quite know what the purpose of the Olympics is. In ancient Greece, it was to select the best athletes and warriors. Now-a-days, I guess the skill and athletic aspect doesn't count for as much as the pageantry of the show. I'm just the opposite of you Wyo, I never watch the ceremonies (or halftime of the Superbowl, for that matter).

I watched a few minutes of women's basketball and had to turn it off. I've seen more skill in a grade school pickup game. The score was something like 22-18 towards the end of the game. And these are "athletes" we paid good money to send to London?

Here's where I'm gonna get in trouble again. IMO, either the contests are to determine the best athletes, or they're hype. If women can't compete against men, they should have their own Olympics, like the Special Olympics, and not waste broadcast time and detract from the REAL athletes. In school, nobody bought tickets for the Junior Varsity games, they were free. Why pay to watch second or third rate athletes? Same with the women's competitions. If they can't compete head-to-head with anyone in that sport, why give them prime time air time? Either they're wanting to be the best, or they expect accolades for being third rate.

Some of the events are in a bit of different class. For example, the beach volleyball. Now, I've watched a lot of beach volleyball, but I watched it for the T&A, not for the athletic skills involved. The one event that really shouldn't be put in my mold of "only the best compete" is women's gymnastics. Those kids are in a class by themselves, and even though they can't go head to head with male gymnasts, they can do things the men can't (besides crying, I mean).

If they did have "A Team" and "B Team" Olympics, women's gymnastics would fund the rest of the B Team's events, just like football funds all athletic programs at major universities.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM

I was really dissapointed with the opening program - 4 hours of the history of the Brits... not my cup-of-tea.

While I was watching I was trying to see it through the eyes of the other billion people who were watching it too - it had nothing to do with athletics and the commentators had to keep explaining the politics behind the different scenarios, so I can't imagine how it translated for the smaller countries who spent too much money sending their handfuls of hopefuls into that same arena.

This Olympics has a much bigger problem then the opening act - who forgot to sell all of those blocks of tickets? Empty seats as far as the eye can see! It will probably boil down to a computer glitch where entire areas of seats weren't entered into the computers to be accounted for. I think the Brits had too big of a year - the wedding, the jubilee and now the games... I've seen enough of those folks for awhile.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM

I wonder if the Olympics were to become a 'best of the best' and not gender divided, whether we would see women athletes rise to the level of male athletes. Set the bar higher, so to say. I don't see how a man is any better equipped to shoot trap than a woman. Though basic physiology dictates that in strength, a man is certainly advantaged over women. You know that there are women who are just monsters who might be able to fill the gap though. You will never know until they compete with the boys, I guess.

We just bought a shotgun, and I fully anticipate being knocked on my butt by it. I'll have to try to find a table of loads vs power, calculate the force and compare it to my 120 lbs to find my odds of staying on my feet. Won't keep me from trying, though.

Lord knows I would lose the tractor pull olympic event (they must have that as an event now?). I'm too light to trigger the safety switch in the seat. The thing keep shutting off on me.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Sorry, but I had to laugh at the seat cut off thing. I can imagine you driving over a plowed field and bouncing, the engine starting and stopping. All the neighbors would come over to watch.

You stole my thunder about the skeet shooting woman medalist. Bet she'd hold her own in ANY company. Same for the little BB gun shooters (they try to make it sound better by calling the event, "10mm Airgun."

I bet you won't have any trouble with the shotgun. Believe it or not, small people do better with heavy recoil than big solid people. The reason is that the smaller body moves with the recoil more easily, while a big person absorbs the full impulse. Just don't try to push too hard against the recoil, let your shoulders move. Think of yourself as a spring, not a tree trunk.

As for women competing in strength-related events against men, you must be right. I remember pictures of some of the Olympian women put forward by the Soviet Union. <G>
Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Quite frankly............. I don't care if they don't change a thing as far as the games are organized.

However, I do think that if a network gets a contract......... I'm sure it is a big fat one at that.......... They should be required to do a minimum of coverage on all sports. Summer or winter. Trap, skeet, and biathlon get little to no coverage and are just as much an athletic event as any......... If no one believes that, you try to keep up with those people......

Even if they show it at 2am they could do a short showing on the athletes, the mental and technical stuff of the sport. Just like they do others. The people doing these sports are getting short changed, I think........

Of course they should do longer segments on gymnastics for instance. That is a money maker for the network.

But they ALL deserve there moment of fame I think.........
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM

Something definitely seems to lacking or even "forced" about this year's games. Like everyone's just hoping they can get through it... and go back to their lives.

OH: and lots of women can be strong without being built like "Olga"... or some Soviet-era weightlifter.

Here's a conundrum: if the PC-party line is that we're "all winners"... equally gifted... etc... how come we do a world-wide competition to determine "the best in the world"? And this is supposed to be an valuable use of resources, time, and money?

Corollary: I might've gotten up on the wrong side, this morning.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM

"OH: and lots of women can be strong without being built like "Olga"... or some Soviet-era weightlifter."

Big controversy today about the 16 yo Chinese swimmer-girl who beat her own best time by 5 seconds to win the Gold. Her time was so good that she would have beaten the men's Gold Medal winner by almost a second. This is an event where hundredths of a second matter. From the pictures I've seen, she just looks like a normal, sweet 16 yo girl. A bit on the thick side, but pretty "un-Olga-ish."

If it turns out that the Chinese didn't cheat or use drugs on her, it will help prove my point that it is the best athletes that should compete, not the best and the PC third string.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 PM

I saw where the British didn't send their countrywide champ in tae kwon do - because of some weird idea they had that he wouldn't be interesting to watch. Apparently he takes his time, taking his opponent apart methodically.

I think maybe I just don't understand sports anymore. The idea is to win, right? Be better or faster than somebody else? Even football's been ruined - for me, anyway. It's no longer the same game.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 PM

Yep, I can jump on that pony. Sports of any type, other then the neighborhood pickup games, are about selling advertising time, not about the game itself.

Even so, I'll still be watching the Packers as much as possible this fall. <G>
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 PM

Packers?!? Boo! Go Bears!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM

Do Bears fans eat at Chik-Fil-A?

I'm sorely disappointed in you, Faith. And to think that I used to consider you a nice person. Sigh. I live only to be let down in my expectations of people.

But then, what can we expect from a common grease monkey?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM

I aint impressed with'em this time.
Kinda ho-hum and I dont have cable/sat

And those stupid looking ((uniforms)) That cause for a bad whupping.

I am waiting for football season--watched all the golf I
can handle.

annie

Last edited by Txanne; 08-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM

can handle.

annie
-----------
Good God woman, why are you torturing yourself like that. Would use the TV to watch the Little Mermaid movie on DVD before I would watch golf..........

Of course I'm the only guy in this country that thinks football also is a waste of clean air........... I would rather watch the History channel or Animal Planet.

Last night watched the US womens gymnastic team do there floor routines. Enjoyed it.
I don't keep track of the medal count. Just enjoy the events and ceremonies.

Wyo
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
can handle.

annie
-----------
Good God woman, why are you torturing yourself like that. Would use the TV to watch the Little Mermaid movie on DVD before I would watch golf..........

Of course I'm the only guy in this country that thinks football also is a waste of clean air........... I would rather watch the History channel or Animal Planet.

Last night watched the US womens gymnastic team do there floor routines. Enjoyed it.
I don't keep track of the medal count. Just enjoy the events and ceremonies.

Wyo

WYO

I dont like golf--but there are one or 2 I will watch play.
They shall remain un-named.

I have many DVD's

I have no cable/sat dish--my antenna is hanging in a tree
out side---on good days I pick up 5 religious channels--one hispanic channel-at least the music is good-and 2 local chatty cathy channels---at nite I watch all the CSI's my knew
2 favortes---Persom of Interest--and Hi--5-o

Oh heck--I watch Tiger Woods--for what ever his sex life was/is(at least he had one LOL)
that man can play golf.

Txanne
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years

I am totally an OLYMPICS fan! When I was a wee widdle girl, my daddy rounded up the whole family round the telly every 4 years in the winter and the summer (back then), and we all participated in the entire experience together! It was great fun, we learned alot about the different countries participating, and had great discussions about the big Soviet/American, and also the East German/American "rivalry" in the various sporting events !!! It was a terrific way to learn about other cultures/peoples from all over the world, and started me on the road to being tolerant and accepting of people from other cultures. It also ignited my desire and my subsequent travels around the world! Nowadays, I have many international dear friends!

Then amazingly, when the OLYMPICS came to Los Angeles, I was lucky enough to be chosen to become one of the employees to work the Games!!! What a phenomenal experience (behind the scenes) that was, and I strongly believe that my early/young exposure to people of other cultures allowed me to experience the OLYMPICS in a way that many people just are not able to and can't possibly fathom!

Needless to say, I am still a huge fan, and for 2 weeks every 2 years, my friends know where to find me! The lighting of the Olympic Cauldron during the Opening Ceremonies always brings the tears to my eyes, as does the extinguishing of the flame during the Closing Ceremonies...

SunshineGirl
Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM

What was said.............
Having raise an interracial and international family, we are very cultural and geographical savvy. And from the military, and other work, having met people from all over the world the opportunity to deal with people is always fun.
------
There has been some injuries at the games. Heard a weightlifter blew out an elbow. A volleyball ? player blew out a knee. That's all I have heard about.
----------
Enjoy
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
What was said.............
Having raise an interracial and international family, we are very cultural and geographical savvy. And from the military, and other work, having met people from all over the world the opportunity to deal with people is always fun.
------
There has been some injuries at the games. Heard a weightlifter blew out an elbow. A volleyball ? player blew out a knee. That's all I have heard about.
----------
Enjoy
WYO

I blew out my elbows working--not playing games--Now I want my Gold Medal!!!

Just teasing my friend

Txanne
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 AM

Heard something about how the winners are upset about having to pay taxes on the money they get if they win a medal. I didn't know the athletes where compensated in cash. Some senator is trying to pass a bill saying the money should be non taxable why I don't know.