BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Gov't-Mandated 4-Gallon Minimum Gas Purchases

Next from the EPA: Four-Gallon-Minimum Gas Purchases

The Environmental Protection Agency is going to require all consumers to buy at least four gallons of gasoline from certain gas pumps after the new E15 ethanol-gasoline blend is introduced into the market.
The new regulation was revealed in an Aug. 1 letter to the American Motorcyclist Association, which expressed concern that the vast majority of motorcycles and ATVs in use today aren’t designed to operate on E15 fuel and residual fuel from a pump that serves multiple blends might harm these tanks.
“The use of E15 will lower fuel efficiency and possibly cause premature engine failure,” Wayne Allard, AMA vice president for government relations, wrote in a June 20 letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. “Use of E15 fuel voids many manufacturer warranties. In off-road engines, the effects can even be dangerous for users.”
The EPA responded that it requires that retail stations with blender pumps either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing greater than 10 percent ethanol.

The rest of the story
Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Apparently, the solution to a stupid, unworkable law is to pass another stupid unworkable law to fix the problems of the first stupid unworkable law.

And if that doesn't work, well we'll just pass another stupid unworkable law!

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Not only that, but how many motorcycles have a 4 gal tank? There are still 2-cycle bikes on the road, too.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Not only that, but how many motorcycles have a 4 gal tank? There are still 2-cycle bikes on the road, too.
I think that's the whole point.

They want to mandate this fuel into the distribution network that's not useable in motorcycles and other small engines.

But most stations have gas pumps that mix the various blends and there's enough piping that a small engine with a small tank might end up with this destructive fuel even when they choose another blend due to what's still in the lines from the previous customer.

Their "fix" is to make it so you can't buy less than 4 gallons from these types of pumps, thereby forcing motorcycle and small engine consumers to go to stations that don't use these pumps or have other pumps available.

IMHO, the real "fix" is stop burning our food in our gas tanks.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Well, a) I object to being mandated to buy a minimum of anything. If I only want 1 gal.... I should be able to buy only 1 gal. and b) we already know what E85 does to marine engines -- everyone with a boat and even a trolling motor, now has to include additives to the fuel to keep the gas from fouling the engine.

Can't the government just leave well enough alone? Corn is for eating.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 PM

I went to the EPA website and found nothing in any regulation that said this. There was a discussion about how much fuel might be in you average length of fuel hose on a pump (1/2 gallon) but nothing about putting min limits on how much a person had to buy.

Interesting that there was a mention in an article that the average lifespan of an car engine was only 100K miles and light truck was 120K miles. I dont see it as all my vehicles have exceed that by many miles and keep on working quite well.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I went to the EPA website and found nothing in any regulation that said this. There was a discussion about how much fuel might be in you average length of fuel hose on a pump (1/2 gallon) but nothing about putting min limits on how much a person had to buy.
I just pointed to an article, but I wouldn't expect the EPA to list it until it was enacted.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 AM

Both my wifes and my harley have 4.3gal tanks but we are selective where we buy fuel we will not use any ethanol in our bikes
Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post

Can't the government just leave well enough alone? Corn is for eating.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a trick question.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:23 AM

My 1940 Harley burns regular UNleaded gas. When we lived in Northern Arizona it was no problem, but since moving to Kali in '01, I have to run this crap gas and keep rebuilding the carb. And rebuild kits for the Linkert M-16 are getting scarce. This SUCKS!! ......pigz
Old 08-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Master Pontificator

There isn't a gas station anywhere near me that sells straight gasoline. I have to put a few ounces of ethanol fuel conditioner and some sea foam in my intruder every 3.2 gal fill up.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 PM

The intake seals in my '71 FLH keep eroding, I also had to up my mainjet size to keep my engine from knocking on the crap they sell as gasoline these days...
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM

I understand that Sta-Bil makes a stabilizer that is blue that is for problems with ethanol in the gas.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
Apparently, the solution to a stupid, unworkable law is to pass another stupid unworkable law to fix the problems of the first stupid unworkable law.

And if that doesn't work, well we'll just pass another stupid unworkable law!
This is perfect, so right on and thank you for a serious laugh out loud moment. The timing was perfect for me as I was getting seriously uptight and just plain mad about all the bull that just keeps rushing in at us. Seriously, love this and I do appreciate the laughter. We need to keep our heads and laughter is a good way to help keep us sane!