BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Default Infrared trail cam flash?

Does an infrared trail cam have a visible flash when it goes off? I'm looking for an inexpensive camera for light security purposes and have never used a trail cam. I'm sure an led flash would be seen and alert someone whose picture is being taken, but how about infrared.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Mine glows red in the nighttime infrared mode. It's visible, but doesn't light up the whole area like a flash would.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM

I've got a Leupold brand camera. Near enough to the house, by the bird feeders that if it had a "flash" to it I think it would be noticeable.

Have got over 900 pictures so far about 1/2 at night and according to the time stamp many while I would still be up and about. Never noticed anything obvious..........

But then I'm mostly electrical gadget illiterate............

Good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 AM

I have a primos truth camera that is totally silent. No flash, noise, lights etc. It takes 3 seconds before the camera goes off. It has a menu for number of pictures to be taken per each occurrence, I picked 5. The amount of pictures is around 6,000 with a 16 gig sd card. I put mine in an old electrical meter can that is locked to a post and is painted camo. The post is located in some bushes. The two D cell batteries will last about 9 months. It has a range of about 75 feet. So far all I have pictures of is me getting the mail, taking the garbage out and mowing, (stray cats) thank goodness. One complaint I have is that at night the tag number of the car will not show up due to the tag light of the car. The type of car can be id'd. I do not care for the delay in picture taking but all game camera's have this feature that cannot be turned off.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 AM

That delay before the picture snaps bug me too, unless the vehicle is slow, my camera doesn't always catch it. Still moving the camera angle about. Up here with the winter cold I was going through batteries like mad, so bought the plug in attachment.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

There's a good short article on Trail Cams in the Outdoor Life Magazine, page 24, Sept 2012.

Can I type this?... outdoorlife.com... "Trail Cam Tech"

The best new thing about the newest cameras is this... the old Infrared flash was at 850 nanometers, and it was visable to both burglars and deer. The new Infrared flash is at 940 nanometers... and the deer cant see it; and the burglars cant see it, when it goes off !! This is what Ive been waiting for!! I plan to buy many of these!! Several around my house, and several down on my favorite trails.

Ironclad
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Master Pontificator

Usually the flash will be in IR if the camera is in IR.

About the cars, if you are on your own land and you have a delay in the camera, why not put something on your drive that will slow a car down enough to get a good picture? Maybe a barrel. That way they will either slow down and drive around it or get out and move it.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:33 AM

I have a Primos Truth Cam 35, a Primos Truth Cam 46 and a Bushnell Trophy Cam. I have never walked up to one of them at night but testing them out in a dark room, it appears that the infrared lights will glow red while taking a photo. Bears, moose, deer and hares notice the camera right away and night, but whether this is from an audible click that they produce or whether it is the red lights, I don't know, but the deer don't seem to notice the camera when it is photographing them during the day, but they are instantly alerted when it takes a photo of them at night. On some of the night photos, there is a glare such as might be produced by a flash, however. Primos (and other manufacturers) make trail cameras that are not supposed to produce a visible light, but I haven't tried one of them.