BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 AM

Oh Anne, I'm so sorry you had to go through this but at the same time what a wonderful adventure even though it didn't seem like it at the time.

I once had to live in a 79 chevy van for about a year and a half. The last of that time while I was pregnant while ex hubby looked for work. In a way I loved it.

I want a place out in the sticks by myself living in either an old school bus which I also lived in as a kid while our family followed the crops or small trailer.
Something tells me that will happen after my husband passes. I just have this feeling that it's gonna happen.

I am following this with baited breath. Keep hanging in there Anne. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

The sun popped out and it warmed up.
I was so glad--had a major clean-up to get to.
I was hoping Big Ugly and his girls would stay in the back.

I got the tubs set back up--baled water from the cistern.
Through the years I would bale hundreds of buckets of water.

The best I could guess--the cistern was about 25-30 ft deep.
And about 4 ft wide.
It appeared to be a shale like lineer--I thought maybe a hign calcium
mix of concrete--with a light mix of small rocks---I am amazed how it stood through the years--serving a family.
I loved that pure water---there was an under ground pure artesian stream-many folks
benefitted from it.

I got the shovel and cleaned up the cow-evidence--put it a pile thinking garden fertilizer.
Keeping busy was taken care of for me--living in this place never left time to be bored.

It would be a long day--of repairing--and redoing my sauna--
I made my coffee as my tub-water heated and I loved the smell of the oak smoke.
Coffee had a bit of the flavor I noticed--

Through the years--filling my tubs--starting the fires--would be a ritual I did without even thinking.

Cooking out doors became a thing I did and got to the point I didnt even think about.

After I went to work in the wood-pile I would crave a stove in the house.

Tomorrow was my day to clean the postmans/friend/business owners house.
There I would meet some strange folks.

Living this isolated--area-I found an isolationist mentally---and I learned to become the same mind set.
You are on your own----you will figure it out or you will not survive.
You become more aware---more self-sufficent.

I loved it--I became stronger--my mind began to clear--my physical body responded to the
strengh training--

Things began to be so much clearer---and I fell in love-with a life--of my chose on my terms---well as far as nature would let me.

I caught myself--looking across the meadow---watching the sun stream through the beautiful oaks--the smell of the pines and I swear to this day,the old house smiled back.

Last edited by Txanne; 09-01-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: correct
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM

You make me smell the smoke and taste the coffee.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 PM

I need to explain that this is not fiction.

I give these people that came into my life adjective type names--as I dont have permission from them to use their names and I respect their privacy.

I was amazed at all the different personalities---and levels of knowledge.

And as in on-grid city life---some of them were very verbous and difficult.

They resented the intrusion of NEW FOLKS----I think it wasnt necessarily mis-trust as much as it was they didnt have time to break new folks into the way of the road(thats what Hopewell was called.)

The Road was 10 miles long,with many off-shoots--into the woods--many went out the other-end from me.

I would learn the sound of their cars/trucks.
In the dark I would be able to say to myself--there goes so-in-so--and when their kids learned to drive I knew when it was the kids,just by the way they tested the the limits of the vehicle.

I would immediately know a strangers' vehicle and my mind went on alert.

Watched many furneral processions go to Mustang cememtary-- an if a place can be beautiful,quiet and very dignified place this was a unique place.

There 2 wooden bridges on this 10 mile strencth and when we had 10-12 inch rains both would wash out.
And of course the new idiots would just have to try it---dont remember how many cars would be pulled out of the creeks----they'd sit there bobbing up and down.
The last 7 miles was a cliche/rock mixed road---but my part was a mudders dream.

Mud would ball up under fender wells--stop you in your tracks--cliche is a miserable dirt.
And wet it was a driving task-master--Stay in the ruts--dont be a hot dogger and try to make new ones.
Some of the old-timers Would show up at your door and Advise you of that fact. LOL
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 PM

As I tried to make a home--I wondered around the 50 acres.
I discovered a pond the other side of the meadow.

Its was a hog wallow---thats when I learned about the hog problem.

Ranchers hated them.
They rooted up grass land and the dumb cows would stumble and break legs etc and of besides the grass the cows were kings and queens.

I would hear the hog hunters when it was cold--they hunted with dogs and many of the dogs lost the fight.
An old boar tusker could rip a dog open in one swipe.
The trick was to bred dogs that were big and strong.
They were taught to grab the ears and for some reason that would bring the hogs down.

I would have a unique experience with a litter of orphaned pigglets--and one special little girl pig who become to think she was a dog. But that come later--it was an adventure.

I had a built in entertainment center with her---hilarious.

As I walked back to the house 2 young boys about 15 rode by on their horses.
Of course they stopped to chat.
They were kinda of sad boys--and as the years rolled by--one in particular would come to talkto me---their folks were the hell raisers on the Road.

He asked if he could visit---I was a little hesitatant---but as the mother of 3 boys--I could hear it in his voice--he needed to talk.

You may escape the city--but the problem seem to be the same-only isolated more.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM

It was warm enough to undo the plastic of the interior kitchen door and try to put something over it,to close it solid.

I went back to the dump and retrieved the plywood.
This was a slanted room--you almost had to duck down to walk through the door. I saw a problem immediately--always a problem.

My salvaged piece of ply wood was too tall.
I knew my handsaw wouldnt cut through it.
geez what todo?
Didnt have eletricity for my skill saw--

At the old back-porch--there was about a 2ft step down---the lights came on--If I laid it just right I could jump off on it and break it---it worked,wasnt clean but doable.

About 6wks later while my hamstring was healing---I cripped around slowly and decided from now on not to use gravity as a tool as I went about my home repairs.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:00 PM

My rats began to stink-- dead rats have a particular oder--lord do they.
But they werent eatting my sweetrolls.

I could hear things in the attic at nite--assumed it was possums--they would come to the warmth of the woodburner heat from the ceiling.

But the dust they made come through the ceiling--would get into my bed.
Problem solved---I had a very short 4 step ladder---I got my plastic and my T-50 and with alot of over-head effort--I plastizzzzzied the ceiling--nomore dusta nd God knows what else from the critters--yuck.

And I noticed more warmth also in the 2 west rooms--Idea: Problem solved,I would put plastic on all the ceiling---and the next long wnter I would tackle the walls.

I was in hopes of a garden but the cows were still here.
The owner was having trouble with fence boundries on his new pasture and needed to leave them a little longer--Oh well--

I was glad Big Ugly had been polled because of his love affair with my truck--I can only imagine him slinging his head and slicing my truck up with the horns and his huge strengh.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Time began to slip by.
I didnt have as many bad days--the depression began to lift and I was thinking more clearly.

I knew I had to get a handle on my eatting habits.

I made myself caste iron skillet cornbread on my out-door stove.
I had the big dutch-over cooker--I was learning to block the wind from my (stove).
If I needed heat I blocked it--if I just need to cook easy I unblocked it.

And one day I wanted a chocolate cake--I got my best caste iron one--my slicker I called it and greased and floured just like I normally would--mixed the cake and put it on my (stove) in about 10 minutes I could tell she was cooking--the last few minutes I put the dutch-oven lid on her--whala Choco late cake.
A little crispy on the bottom--an an oak flavor also.
It was good tho-problem solved.

I learned to cook on a stove that was at the mercy of nature--I cooked out there in the cold--wind--rain--heat and whatever came.

I had the huge skillet--I'd fry a whole chicken up--put the lest overs in a baggie and into the ice chest.

I had found on one of my wandering trips,a yard sale.

And of all the things I used the most were some heavy duty packing pads--used for shippinf furniture.
Got 2 of them and used them to cover the ice chest--kept ice for much longer times.
They were a dollar a piece--

I had decided with as much paper work as I had to go through I needed a box at the road for mail.
That was my greatest comfort.
I ordered every catalog that I could---had BWM and Countryside coming.
I wrote letters to pen pals and waited and waited for books to come--and the evenings were mine.
I read and discovered that the odds were againest me--I shouldnt be surviving this life.
I should have already turned tail and run--or died or gotten hurt.

Naw--there's something in the human spirit--and for those of you that read this will know what I mean.
Dont quit--dont back up and never ever stop dreaming.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 AM

The weather warmed quickly--time was running out on my truck.
I had called my oldest and ask him to take up the payments--but
I needed something to drive---that was to become a problem,again.

He got his credit union to loan him the money to pay it off. And he bought me a hunk of junk in return for what I had in it--It was a nice vehile--and I'd rrather lose my part than lose the truck to the morgage Co.

I was sad when he came for it---We had bought it because at first when Jim got sick,before we moved to San Antonio--we had to drive so far -far treatment and so often.

When my son showed up he had a huge free standing cabinet in the back. I got over the disappointment of the trade of trucks and we lugged the heavy monster into my someday
kitchen.
It was wonderful-how I needed it--it had bottom doors I could close things up in and had 4 shelfs on the top---how great it would be to get stuff out of boxes.

He had taken the old cabinet out of a MP railroad house they were moving to a historial district.
He had brought hammer and nails to fix it to the wall--if it ever fell over it could kill you or hurt you bad.
Thats what we thought.
The first nail pinged and jumped backwards---wow tough old wall. He kept on till he found a spot that would take a nail---jus one. Sparks flew--with each pounding.

I took the old cabinet when I left the old house.
My only reminder except the old burner--which has almost rusted down now.

Next he showed me the tricks to the old truck---boy--was it tricky.
The distributor would slip and it would die--never seem todo it when you were on the road--only at stop light--with a dozen behind you. Thats was fun.

The boys were headed to Mo. on a job--and that kinda scared me--they would be a long way off.

But I had plenty to keep me busy.

I had been notified that I was needed in Dallas for an affidavit in the long ago lawsuit Jim had filed.

I drove in to Houston--to get my DIL's car--as it was my sons little setp-side chevy was there he had taken a Co. truck.
It took 2 days--I was exhausted.
I didnt realize how quiet it had been and how use to the peace and quiet I was.

I finally got back and after resting and gathering up tippy--I headed back out to my home.

Tooling off down the road--I saw a big pile of trash(really gutter and such) I wheeled over and thought well all they can do is say no.

Knocking on the door was kinda scary---A man ans. the door--I ask him if it was possible for me to have the gutter at the curb?

Sure but ya gotta take it all. Oh Lord what had I done?
I had to get a plan quick--I had plenty of rope(one of my deals I always had rope).
Put the tail gate down--long pieces in--elbows and shorter pieces on top.
Tied it down--strange looking mess.

I told old Tippy as she wagged her tail when I got in the truck ready to go--I just got us a
way to build a water catchment system--she actted like she knew what I was talking ,
that was good because I had no idea how I was going to get the gutter nailed to the old house below the roof.
But I did know how I was going to build one for the Cistern---
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Master Pontificator

I just came across this thread and have enjoyed reading it and will continue to follow it. You are a good writer and knowing its true and your personal story makes it even more interesting.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 AM

Oh my, Annie! What an inspirational woman you are! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I look forward to reading as much of it as you are comfortable with writing.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM

I finally got home.
Unloaded my treasure/trash.

There was a partial tin shed--I think at one time is was for keeping wood dry anout 20ft. from the cistern.
The years and cows had knocked it down and it only had 2 sides still standing---
I started my fire for coffee and began to think--what kind of roof drop I needed to catch water.
The shed was of tin--about 12ft long--the tin had been salvaged--it had holes in the ends.
(open ends).

In the mean time--it was nice and warm--opened up the house--had to find sticks to hold the windows up--as I worked on the livingroom(guess that what it had been)I heard a little mewing---I went out front and listened--the grass was so tall I couldnt see anything.

Going towards the road--I saw the sourse---it was a tiny white kitten--and there by its side was a puppy about 6-8 wks old--A collie puppy!!!
Who had thrown these babies out?? My God--Its a wonder the coyototes hadnt killed them.
Poor babies--I gathered them up and took them inthe house.

I made the kitten some can milk and wet down some of Tippys dogfood.
They were starving to death--shaking and afraid.
I was furious.

The kitten later went to a home of a relative--the collie puppy would live to be 17y/o and a story was written about him.

I called him Charlie Brown---and if I went into town he andTippy both went--I would say you wanta to go to town Charlie? He would hop into the truck--from the on he was called DownTown Charlie Brown.

Through the years--I would have many dogs dumped off--some so sick--and a danger to the ones I had adopted and was able to get back inshape.
It was so very hard to put them down--But my life was far from easy and I had to make some tough decisions--and it was always so sad.

I had boxes--so I made the babies a bed--they stayed to gather---Tippy was spaded and had never had a litter But she tookover the nursery---As I trained them to potty outside,she would monitor.
I was glad for her--she had something todo besides worry about me.

Back to my water-shed---I would have to go back to my dump---there were some plastic pipe about the right lengths.
Needed to prop the shed back up.

I have pictures of the watershed.
I wasnt exactly proud of myself---but thrilled I had thought it out and came up with an idea to save precious water.
At onetime the pics were published in Countryside mag.BWH didnt publish them---guess they had enough todo--this was in the early years and I am sure they had plenty of more important projects to publish.

It looked like a 4 legged spider--sloped to the front--since there were holes in the tin and holes where the gutter had been attached to the roof---after I had dug holes for 2 new poles and got them steaded-I wire the gutter to the shed . I had to wire pieces togather
to slope it to the Cistern.
I couldn't test it--to its flow until it rained. And the day it did rain I was out in it--watching and ajusting the down-slope on the pipe--and you cant know how I felt--the acomplisment--I had to block up the middle--the weight of the water sagged it--I had another idea.
If I could stabilize the pipe I could calk the seams--my brain was working again---and through the rest I had to rework the pipe---storms blowng through would show me my weak points in my system.

Durning a long drought--this old cistern would save my life.
I learnd to purify my water--and survive.
It was my priorty---to maintain my source of water.

A funny note---sometime durning all this a frog--a long skinny green frog fell into the cistern and stayed there for a long time--I felt sorry for him--He wouldnt let me fish him out,so I threw a small chunk of 2x4 into it so he didnt have to tread water all the time.
He kept the bugs cleaned out--worked for me.

I learned to live with my creature neighbors--Except the scorpians and there was alot of them.
They would bite me 8 times one winter---
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 PM

The Chinaberry had pushed the roof on the westside--the leaking roof had started rotting the wood.
Termites began to take over that side.
Scorpians came for them--and the heat of the house that winter.
I didnt realize they were there until one dropped in my bed and biting me on the arm.

There were 2 kinds--long skinny ones--their bite wasnt as potent as the short fat ones.
I had one bite meon the foot as I fed my little crew--I stayed up all nite with that bite.
My heart raced--I shook---I had it in my mind,I'd whip them--yeah right--Nature at its finest.
They had survived for 1000's of years.

The old postman would tell me what to do---and cedar became my friend.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Master Pontificator

Annie, you are one strong woman to stay in a house filled with scorpions! And to think I am scared of the giant spiders in our new place...I guess I need to toughen up a bit!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM

I had bought the 2 rain barrels.
I had watched where the rain drained off the old tin roof.
I had set them on on the corners--east side.
But it was a fickel catchment system, I fit rained hard it missed the barrels--gentlely they caught the water.

I had to figure out how to attach gutter to the eves of the house.
And I would have to go see my postman neighbor--hated to have to ask or borrow but this
was important.

Took off down the road---yep I forgot about the muddidnt know how this old truck would do in the boggy mess--dropped her down a gear and my goodness she took off like a bull elephant--didnt bother her one bit--but I did drag the tail pipe off--no problem,I'd pick it up on the way back--too hot to handle now.

I wish I could describe the drive--over hanging oaks--the wooden-bridges--the creek bubbling along--quiet--serene.
I got to the postmans house--the wood pile was in full force.
It took a minute to find the old fellow--he was in his early 70's,but totally active. I think he kept more busy because of his wifes recent passing--kinda like me-but I leanred as the years went by--He had many money making ideas--although his youngest son,had spending ideas.

I told him what I needed todo and told I apolized but I needed a cordless drill==did he have one?
He said let me come help you. He loaded a ladder and some screws and his drill--Big nice one--we were gonna need it.

Off we went down the road--I stopped and picked up the tail-pipe--mud and all.
We got set up and I had my short ladder---hhe had also brought some strapping--that saved my bacon,because the wood was so tough and the gutter sun-stressed it would have shattered trying to screw into the gutter.
He was tall so I was on the top of my ladder--being as tall as my 5'5" frame could be.
It took us a good 2 hours--the tough old wood ate at the batteries--but in the end we had my rain gutter up and all I had todo wa moniter the rain--to get the most out of my gutters.
I have also taken rain-gutter bath.
In the summer it would be so hot--firing up the tubs was almost to much just to bathe.
By this time it had warmed up---spring went by so fast that first year--lost the cool nites and nice mild days.

And would be offerd a job==that thrilled me--exsasperated me and in the end almost killed me.

My old home was taking shape.
My postman friend came down one day and said he didnt want to embrass me but did I need some furniture?
His son an dil had bought some new stuff.
I told him let me come take a look--yeah Like I was going to turn it down.

It was a brown plaid set--sofa and chair--it was way to big for their little house--YEP
I'll take it--so he helped me load it and off we went.

Remembering how old the house is--you'll know the doors werent all that wide.
We fought that old couch--finally just man-handling in.
Whala==I had a chair--to sit in in my house---progress.
And a couch for company--what company? Shouldnt have even thought it.

I thanked him---and off he went.

One thing I learned--dont get to syrupy with folks--they dont trust that.
And the day would come I would be able to help fight a fire that would almost get his house and the wood-pile, cause by careless weekend warriors--a boon to us backwoods folks.

I had been cleaning his house every Monday---and his DIL ask me todo hers.
I did one time----it took me 2 wks chasing my money.
The old postman ask me--one day when he stopped with my mail--if she had paid me?
I hesitated and said NO! He took out his wallet and paid me on the spot.

I would learn that she was a big problem--with money--she'd let people work for a couple of weeks--telling they had to seel some wood first---then she'd fire them--Unpaid.
She and the son couldnt go in to the small town 7 miles away---too people mad and threating them---dont blame them.

It would be rocky start---working in the wood pile---but it would be a job I mastered and became yard boss---and for 61/2 years it would keep me in the small comforts of food and clothes and animal food for all the critters abandoned or that I found.

And I bought more books---reading was my great joy.
And about this time--the spring over summer hitting full force--I learned how hot the old house would get and I would find a place in the back of the 50 to pray--to meditate.

This would bring me more connection to My God---Prayer mellowed my mind--gave me great courage and I would need it.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 PM

I had to go in to the feed store.
Needed more kerosene for my lamps.

I noticed some activity---someone new behind the register--that bothered me--as I had begun to detest change.

It was,as I checked out having gotten my kerosene and having also bought one of my best investments--a pair of good leather gloves-I could pull them in at the wraist and keep critters off my hands and protect them while I gathered dead-fall firewood, the new owners.
Through the years he would be there to help me---laugh at me and someone I could trust.
He upgraded and added some more things---

At first people were stand-offish to him--boy I understood that---but they warmed up--he and his wife were likebale people.

Off I went to the house--passing my teen neighbor riding his horse.
I knew I would have a visitor--in abit--and I did.

The boy stopped and talked along time. His mother had left them--I suppose for greener pastures.
I had to tell him,he had to live his life--let his parents fight it through.
Such a good kid.
And seem to grow with every day---

There are somethings that will be hard to talk about----but I wll muddle through them.

But it was a good day--I fixed me some black tea and honey and went to read on the front porch----thats when the humming birds started diving into my tea--as I sat very still they would perch on the edge of my coffee cup and drink---all colors and tiny babies.
Amazing!! I needed some feeders--on the list ---and I knew I had readin one of my ((books)) how to mix it.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM

My guy that owned the cattle would come one weekend and get the girls--the bull last.

He mooed and snorted all day--he came to the front looking for them--and he seemed puzzled at where his buddy the truck was.

He was friendly enough,gentle but a bull as is a bull and I didnt get too close to him--except for the nite he tried the back porch sleeping thing.

I would really miss them---but not the mess they created--in my back-yard kitchen.

I wouldnt see the cow guy again.
And I missed him too.

It grew hotter and hotter---I had to think about leaving the wooden doors open.
I needed a cross breeze--lord that ole house was ornery--tin roof turn her into an easy bake oven.
I would get desperately hot before I got brave enough to leave them open at night.

I had fished salt water all my life----so I knew how todo that--and had never fresh water fished---worm fishing is a whole lot squishyer than sqiud or shrimp---but I got over it.
A couple of times a week I would go back to the pond-now that the cows were gone.

I would take my butt-bucket--the milk crate I used for a table and catch 6-8 pan fryers--perch mostly. I knew how to gut and gill fish and scale them--I had taught my boys.
The bass I threw back--too small--let'em grow.

I cleaned them at the pond--came home and fired up my big caste iron skillet---Gourmet meal---fried up crisp perch---life was good.

One evening as I sat on the porch--just before twlight--cooling off--I caught something moving out the corner of my left eye.
I sat very still---it was a Female wolf--with a pup---Big beautiful animal---the pup looked like it was half shepard--didnt know if that happened I'd have to ask one more dumb question.
She payed me no attention--just trotted easily by about 10-15 ft from me---there would be times the next couple of years I would see her---standing way off--watching.
I put out dog food thinking if she eats she wont be killing calves---I dont know if worked.

Except for the unbearable heat--life was taking shape.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM

I thought if I just opened the back door and the front of the house windows I would get a breeze--moving time---I took my bed and chest into the east side room and tried the leaving the backdoor open.

Problem---of couse.

Mice were a problem --rats were gone.
And enter the scre of a life time--a very long rat snake--non-poisenous here--but they can give you a scare.

The next morning I fired up the out-door stove--and wanted pancakes --made my coffee.
I had vowed to eat good in the mornings--

I had the coffee simmering---skillet heating,wouldnt take but a few minutes to mix the batter.
I reached for the flour--knowing excatly where it was--and thought why is it cold and felt like that.
And as I turned around to look and big(yes) rat snake started to uncoil--he was waiting for a mouse--ok Problem.
I didnt want to kill him---no reason too--it wasnt a threat to me physically--so I grabbed the broom to slip under him--and move him/her out doors.
Snakes shouldnt hiss at me---I stepped out too the back porch--grabbed my very sharp hoe--tried one more time to remove it--NOPE!!
So--by the time I got through with him/her it was in about 40 pieces--and what a mess:
Flour sugar oatmeal all over the place--including pots andd pans--anything that got in the way of me and the snake.

I needed that cup of coffee and forget the pancakes--holy crap---what drama and I had to laugh---good thing I wasnt afraid of snakes---but it took a couple of days before I stopped being spooked everytime I went into the kitchen. Giggle
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Wow, Annie, You have walked the walk and talked the talk.

I have an idea maybe that you might think about. Amazon.com has a section where you can publish your book for free and you can sell for a price like .99 cents. They (Amazon) will get like .30 cents of that and you get the rest. Several people over on SB has done that. I've been thinking of doing that myself.

Keep it up Annie. I wish I could give you a big ol hug.

Last edited by txplowgirl; 09-04-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM

Now that the cows were gone i could finally go to the back and practice with my shotgun.

I found an old bottomless bucket in the dump.
I hung it so it would be the height of a 6ft tall man--the average height.
Where the bucket would be chest high.
I didnt want to practice wounding,I want to practice stopping my enenmy,period.

So with ammo in hand--I took my .20ga. and started shooting.
At 25 ft---50ft.---75ft. and then at 100ft.

I got different patterns-----and saw what my ammo would do.
Scary.

I chose the 25 and 50 ft shots. to practice the most.
If I had an enemy any closer--it would be stopped and there would be no need to call a Dr.
But the further away the shot--the more I would need to practice---and I spent alot of time back there---and a 5 shot reload--I needed to be able to do it quicky.
Time after time--shot after shot--and at the risk of bringing on a fight about my time--I wont discuss that here--but I was proficient--it became a no think--shoot reload shoot reload.(and thats not of course a clip--single shot at a time reloads.( mine loaded one shell at atime--would hold 5--which I kept in her)
At last I felt pretty much able to defend myself--carried the old shotgun everywhere.

With all the critters-instead of keeping her in a gun case--I had an old sock I put over the muzzle----to keep dirt out also.
And there was no struggle--to get her out of the case.

The silly pistol--that would only sting a big muscled up guy--I kept around too.

Kinda upset the nearest neighbor--he called the old deputy---I took him back and showed him what I had been doing.
Not catering to the neighbor but to be friendly with the officer---as he knew I had already had a breakin and the terrible death of Zipper the calf.
Deputy didnt say a word--got in his car and left.

End of that.

Next day--I heard a tractor out front---my neighbor with the black Ford came with his brushhog to help get the weeds and brush off the meadow--and he mowed around the house.
From then on I mowed with an old 22" cut mower I brought with me---it was a big chore but I was physically up to the job.

Since the cows were gone--the weeds took over.
It was a relief to beable to walk around without looking for snakes.