BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

The lady that had the lake cottage came by to get her key--they had sold the place.
She was better and told me if I ever needed anything to call her.

I thanked her for the work--it had been a payday that I would miss.

Sunday morning as I sat on the porch--I knew I would to have work.
Find something to make money.
It was too far in the old truck--to try Huntsville--and this far out had its limitations,but I wasn't really worried or scared.

I had reached a calm---a trust.
My prayers and meditation had paid off--I had faith again.
I felt I had lost it--I had prayed so hard for Jims life tobe spared--it hadnt happen and I felt God had abandoned me.

I knew now---that He had directed my path here---Because if I hadnt had this trial and all its problems to occupy me---I would have spun off it to maddness.
I had spent 2 years with a dead man--(dying everyday isnt fun to see)and I didnt think I would make it .
But I had--Now here I was---and was figuring out how to survive.

It dawned on me that morning--I knew how to survive--it was in my DNA--I just had to let it loose---to go with what came naturally.

I felt relaxed--in my element--and I can remember thanking God for my trials and tribulations--because I had grown--matured in my spirit.

And how I loved this hateful old house--home.

Last edited by Txanne; 09-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM

The postman stopped and honked wth a certfied letter--from probate lawyer.

He ask how it was going--I said fine--he just shook his head.

I remembered the scorpians--and ask him how I could get rid of them.
Told him about the termites and had they had takenover rotting parts of the chinaberry side.

He told me to come down after he got in and he would give me some cedar shavings--I said ok---
He told me that cedar disorientants them and they starve to death.
He also said they were blind and were heat and movement seekers---made sense to me.
I hadnt looked that close at them--next time I would--shiver---geezzz I hated them.

I went down to his place---as I roundd the last curve,I had to slam on my brakes--there was a huge big black bull standing in the shade--I almost didnt see him in time--I would later learn--that this bull was a fence jumper--tear-downer and all round pest--he was headed to the lady cows(((he had a keen sense of smell--to put it nicely.)

He didnt charge or seem mean--but a bull was just that-unpredictable. I eased around him.
This would not me last encounter with him.

When I got to the postmans--he was waiting---told me to follow him.
He took me to a large metal building---with equiment from heaven if your a craftsman.
He was making coffee tables out of cedar.
Had jewelery boxes---little stools and was starting a cedar chest for his young granddaughter---wow multi--talented genlteman.

he got a box and handed me a broom--told sweep up the shavings and dust.
Go home and put it in a spray bottle--about a quart size. Let it sit over nite or longer.
Shake it good and spray around base-boards and hidey places.
I had enough to eventually spray around the base of the house.

Shortly after spraying the house---I found 5 dead black-widow spiders--Now that did scare me.
In the spring when they are hatching their young--they are vicious attackers.
I had read that in one of my books----

Anyway--I thanked him and on my way out I looked into the barn--3-sided)) so at one time it stored farm equiment--now it held wood splitters.

I saw how the logs outside were spray painter every 22 inches and chained on those painted lines.
The ((butts)) were then stacked for the guys on the splitters to bust--into wedge shaped pieces.
They had a long table set up--with a saran-wrap type paper--to wrap the short butts in---then they were stacked on pallets--and they had to be stacked right--snug--then they were pallitized--shrink wrapped so to speak.

I would learn in later days--that the pallets would weigh from 1200lbs to 1400lbs. depending on how green the wood was.

There wasnt but 3 guys splitting the short butts.
One sat using the uglliest splitter I had ever seen.
It wasn't shiney and new like Tractor Supply Had--oh no---this was an old 40 tonner-and would become my special tool---in a race to have 24 pallets aday ready to be loaded when the postmans son returned from his previous load.

The other 2 splitters were 25 tonners--light weight compared to the old one.
The guys were mexicans--I would end the end have the best crew anyone could ask for.
ALL DOCUMENTED--AS WE WERE CHECKED BY INS AND LOCAL COPS AND GAME WARDENS.

I knew I would work here.
I told the postman--if you need help let me know.
He did--early one morning--honk ing at my gate at the crack of dawn.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Snip>
This isnt a thread about how great I am/was.
It isnt about all the great things I discovered how to do.

Ita about having to grieve,survive and the emotional walk of recovering my life and doing
something I had never done before alone and unprepared.
Txanne
Well....you seem pretty frigging great to me! Although I'm sure you look at it as doing what you had to do. In this day of wussies (male or female) it's great to read about someone taking the bull by the horns...if you'll excuse the pun! If you could put this together into a book, I'd buy it!

May GOD continue to strengthen....and Bless you!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 AM

The days became miserably hot.
The dead rats stunk to high heaven---

My ritual was to fill my tubs in the mornings--start fires under them and my back-yard cook stove.
By the time coffee boiled and I had a cup---it would already be warm/hot.
The collie puppy Charlie Brown and the kitten were coming along nicely.
I had to watch them around the cistern---I had to build a wood-pecker wire cover for it--that went on my list---when I called in to the kids I would have someone bring me a roll of it.

I had the burner cleaned out---and even Had my books piled on it--LOL but true to our weather--a late cold front would put her back into action.

On rare nites I could dial up Alex Jones on my battery-powered radio---he would scare me so bad---that guy would have had me paranoid and hiding in the bushes if I listened very much.
Picked up a few Dallas football games--
Listening to the radio in these trees was as challeging as using a cell phone would be come.

I had hung a wire on some nails that had been there on the porch for years--and would have to twist and turn it--just to keep tuned in--what a lift.

Summer was in full bloom--needed work bad---money was running on empty.
Thank God for canned milk and veinna sauages---I had bought up as much canned stuff as I could afford---what I would give for a glass of sweet tea.

And on towards the of May---I was a little down.
Read--had the doors open--windows--it was so still.
Ole Tippy began to whine--she wasnt a whiner nor a barker--she paced and made sounds at the door.
Oh heck---
I got the gun and thought now what--had my maglite--my up close equalizer--stepped out the door.
Tippy shot acroos the yard-I called her back--and she walked around me like she was guiding me.

There was a cardboard box by the gate---when had they sat it there---I had only heard one truck--it had stop as ways up the road---potty break I assumed--but now I knew what they had done.

The box had 4 puppies in it---their eyes were still closed---well now what do I do?
You keep'em.
The pups looked like their mother or something had chewed them up--and of all things they were Rots--black and brown bundles.

I need to fed them--had canned milk---and I had some ear/ache medicine that had an eye dropper in it.
I got them each fed--supervised by Tippy of course---their wounds broke my heart--I had gotten a spray can of wound dressing--animal grade for myself.
It was an off shoot of tincture of violet.
I made a little tub of warm water--and bathed their wounds.
Dry them amd wraped them up.
I was up durning the nite to feed them---these wee new borns.
By morning one was dead---and 2 more would die in the next few days.

One left--I called him Dog---as he became a big bad looking dog.
Big muscled up---but as gentle as a lamb.
And my little neighbor,the horse rider fell in love with him--and would come help me feed him--The day would come when the boy turned into a man --graduated and went to Houston to live work and college--He would ask for Dog---Of course anything for a friend.
When he would ride his horse--by the house--he would whistle and off DOG would go--it was a blessing for the boy---hehad so little love or care from his family.
His younger brother had moved in wth his Mother---my young friend stayed to finish high school--lettering in footballl and making great grades.

Sometimes life is just like this----he/we got pas the bad times--he didnt know I grieved and he didnt know he gave me simple friendship--asking nothing in return.
We both won---He never knew he helped me pass some bad times.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 AM

All I can say Annie is wow, I have no other words. I hope i'm at least half the woman you are when i'm your age. So much Strength, Grit, Intestinal fortitude.

You ROCK girl! Lol
Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 PM

I turned my bath-tub into a washing machine---I had hot water--and a commode plunger.
Soak'em--wring the out---then rinse them in the tub.

I had plenty of trees--so I had good clothsline.
I had enough to wear--so I didnt need to wash as often--it took all day and it was saving me a bundle on gas and going to nasty laundry mats.

In the winters it was different--heavy sweats --were so heavy trying to wring them out.
I had to go to the in-town laundry.

Small things we take for granted on grid--can be a major problem off grid.
I learned to cook beans--stews in smaller portions--the heat and no frig. I knew food wouldnt keep in the heat.
I would build a small fire on one end of my out-side stove and when cooking was done--I'd move it to the cooler side to keep warm.

My pups were doing ok--at nite I would laugh at their antics. If they got to rough and get mad at each other Tippy would step in and separate them--She was something else.

Dog didnt get to bond with his mother and she wasn't able to give him his social skills and Tippy seem to know how todo that.

The seasonal creek that ran across the property--was home to lots of frogs of every kind.
She would hunt on the creeks--disturbing their sunbathing--thats where she got her first snake bite.
I heard something fall on the front porch---and I looked and she was down panting hard.
I grabbed her and saw the swelling--Oh my God---she was getting in bad shape fast.
I layed her down and jumped in the truck--drove like a maniac to the postmans house.

I ran--pounded on his door---ask him what do I do? He said NOTHING.
LET HER ALONE---offer water---but let her system try to work the poisen--lord have mercy.
For 3 days I watcher shiver--glassy eyed--I soothed her---talked to her--took the eye-dropper and gently fed her water.
The puppies whined---and somehow I think they gave her the fight she needed--on about the 4th day--she tried to stand---I mashed her up some veinna sauages---she ate--man I
was cheering and the puppies and kitten watched her ever so quietly--that nite they all curled up togather--

Cotton-mouth---rattlesnake--or copper-head didnt know--we had all three--bad.
The only affects I could see was her eyes--she seemed not to have her vision of old.
Once in awhile she would shiver---But she lived.

She also had a standing appointment with shunks--on yeah and no matter how much I fussed at her---she never got the message---Leave'em alone.
How she hated the tomato baths--I bought the cheapiest--tomato juice I could fine--

The old postman had come to see how she was doing---I told him she made it--He said I dont see how---But I knew--she couldnt leave us--me and the pups--she had to watch over us--and she did for many years.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Thank you. I needed some inspiration.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM

You ARE and HAVE ALWAYS been such an inspiration to me.....I really need to read these stories this morning as I await the verdict on my truck....

YOU have been one of my angels....I hope other angels are watching out for you this very day! love you so much! suzy
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
You ARE and HAVE ALWAYS been such an inspiration to me.....I really need to read these stories this morning as I await the verdict on my truck....

YOU have been one of my angels....I hope other angels are watching out for you this very day! love you so much! suzy

Annie needs tissue--thank you my friend.

Sincerely

annie
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Tippy had -had her shots--rabies and 7/1's--now I needed to get the pups wormed and early baby shots.

Add to the list.
Shots--daughter could give them-she raised doxies.
Son--brng wood-pecker wire.

It was so very hot----but in my mind set it was a way of life.
Shorts and tanks---tennis shoes--always.

From the time you open your eyes off-grid you are busy.
If it rained my cooking stove--heating water took on a new challenge.
I had found away to keep wood dry--except for cooking--wood wasnt a problem with it as warm as it was.
Showers were solar---

I never in all the years used a paper-plate or sterofoam cups.
I used dishes--I hated plastic--It was a thing--living out like I did, didnt mean I ate garbage or off the floor.

I hand sewed some pillows for my couch---I liked a tablecloth on my table.
Not only was that my bisquit making table---but I needed that homey touch.

The coming Christmas---I would decorate my tree---with pine-cones I collected--Different
sizes--that I walked over the 50 acres--collecting--that was a very special Christmas.
Each pine cone--I coated with glue that dried clear and sprinkled with glitter--in a big biscuit tray---the I super glued a ribbon to the big end for hanging.
It was a very pretty tree.

Routine sat in--It was the middle of June.
I was very fit---active--always something todo.

Life changed early one morning---before daylight.

I was yanked awake--by a horn honking---I jumped up thinking it wa one of the kids--Nope it was the postman---as me if i wanted a job----WOW!!! Yes I did.
That began the most ununusal thing I had ever done.

For the next 61/2 years--I would run a wood splitter---making little sticks out of logs.
I would later become yard boss---
I would be mad--glad and proud--aggravated--worn out and always working.

My life changed--from the middle of April until the 15th of Dec.
Seasonal work---
I would have to battle for my money.
I would have to fire men.
I would have to hunt for--hire and transport them.
Kept all the time worked logs

I changed oil in splitters----kept track of the gas needed for them and taught many of my workers how to split---wood with out losing fingers or toes-
And surpervise the chain saws---trying to keep idiots from cutting off a limb.
And had to make them aware--logs rolling off the folk lift--Would kill them---never go in the yard while the fork lift was moving---logs werent tied or chained for such short distances.

Worked in the freezing weather--rain--awful heat--fought the mud--and found some interesting critters in rotten tree trunks.
Figured out tree knots will put a hurting on you when you popped the off a hickory/oak butt.

Met some very interesting people.
Cut lowboys full of hickory for our special--BARBQUE cooking folks.(always on sundays)
Detectives looking for a killer--nope we didnt have him.
Dug my mexicans out of the bushes when INS showed up---
Fired smart-ass yankees running from the law--because that were always pushing their weight around--and when they got in my face---they got a surprise--I dont back up,I dont quit.
And when I have to come off my splitter to argue with them--I came with a 22in piece of oak.
And they got to walk back to town or ride with the Sheriff--we didnt need it and certainly wasn't going to put up with it.
I would fight the postmans daughter in law for money--to pay my crew--and put up with some real egos---the owners son--.

The postman never called me by my name--my name was Hun--he was my go to guy.
He had had a heart-attack on his 160 mile route---finished the route and then went to ER.
He retired----and we began our journey as friends---

Last edited by Txanne; 09-06-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 PM

This morning I wouldn't get coffee.
I told him to let me get dressed I'd be there.

I threw some veinna saug and crackers in a sack.
Grabbed a jug of water.
My gloves.

And my cap--it keep spider webs out of my hair.(not funny)
I didnt know excatly what I was doing--it payed money.
I am a quick study and knew I had the strengh todo it---thats very funny))

Got down to his house.
He showed me my splitter--geezzz a sissy one--25 tonner---rolled a log butt over to me--told me to sit on that--there wasnt but 2 mexicans there--it was just daylight.
One came over to show me how to start it--kind like a lawn mower--oh ok(except when its cold----thank God for cans of ether---but it was warm and we didnt have that trouble.
He helped me pile up so logbutts---I had noticed they ((loaded them by their side)Made sense--didnt have to jump up and down.
Showed me how to hold the log butt--up againest the back--and showed me how to follow the natural cracks in the wood.
The first time I popped that wood open--I was amazed---I knew that I knew---I liked this job.
My rude awaking came when we didnt knock off at 4---5----6 o'clock-- NO-we worked till dark!!!
I was worried about the pups--
I was hungary---my back was killing me--my shins were bruise all up and down both of them.
I was grimey---and so tired i could hardly move--but i was getting the hang of it--especially getting my shins out of the way.

One more thing-- butt was raw from sitting on that rough sawed tree butt--ohhh my goodness---wow I was on fire---I knew--I'd have a different butt bucket tomorrow.

I cringed thinking about my butt bobos---man that hurt--But I didnt say a word.
Finally got home---pups were ok--Tippy had her legs crossed---wanted out and the pups followed her--but they were hunagry so didnt have to chase them to get them back in.

I needed a sitz bath for my sore behind--that kind of friction--aint right--But I solar showered and fired up the out door cookstove--learned to set a lamp up ---between it and my maglite--I made coffee--got otu my thermos--I'd have coffee in the morning--needed it too.
SORE? I have never been that sore--bruised and hurt in every inch of my body---I could barely get out of bed.
What was I thinking?

Last edited by Txanne; 09-07-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM

The next morning i had my milk carton plastic crate--and a pillow---oh yeah.

I knew I had to work out my stiffness and sore muscles.
Within a week i was better--stamina was better---I was getting faster and my pile of split wood was getting higher.

Then the school yard bully showed up---a friend of thr Ego---He started piling wood on my side stack---I noticed it was different---The mexicans looked at me and then each other--and I saw he had the kind of wood I had split the day before.

I never in my life got ahold of anything as tough--slipped---folded over--shot out from under the wedge---what the hell had he given me---bout that time out came the postman.
After a through cussing the bully got up and walked off--I ask him what kind of wood is that? totally puzzled?
ELM--wet red elm--Oh my lord---I later learned to make them haul the elm to the side--let it dry for a couple of weeks or even longer---It would become our go to wood when we were out of regular hardwoods.( there is a trick to splitting it tho--had to wedge slice it)

The days started to go by----and kinda puzzled I asked when payday was?
When we make our first load! WHAT!!!
Told them I wanted my money every week--I wasnt on vacation--I needed money to live on--I didnt work free gratis.

The Mexs had agreed---oh no---I could see it coming.
Having trusted the postman--I ask him by the way--what ya paying me--7.00 an hr--Oh my God.
But--I had to calm down---I didnt have to worry about clothes--it wasnt but 7 miles down the rode--I'd hang with it until I had some money put back.

The goal was 24 pallets a day--aint happing---3 people? Good luck.
I got better and better--the wood was coming in fairly fast--later when we had 6-8 splitters going we couldnt keep wood.

Our job was to pile the wood deep---So it would be ready for the wrapper(s) every day.
We worked from daylight to dark---5-6 days a week---when the season was in full swing we worked 7 days a week.

I wondered why 22" butts?
Postman said they had experimented alot--any thing longer didnt load on the pallets right and they sold the pallets by how many bundles were on there.
Also to much over hang---cutt the shrink wrap and they didnt fit the trailer without hanging up--
I am surprised they made it to town(Houston,Huntville,Katy etc etc.) The Ego wrecked 3 trucks that I know of.
And they were the only ones that slpet late--when they did come out---it was gripe bitch fuss fume etc etc.

She--shudder--was a drama queen but she did it well dressed--nails done--false fanny in place and boobs too---wigs---make up false eye lashes---and heels--In A Wood Pile.
Geez.
The mexicans and I breathed a sigh of relief when they left the place--and it was usually noon-ish.
The postman usually fussed and fumed--people(walmart) calling about their order of wood(krogers)and they could only deliver between certain hours on certain days.
He was a very regimented man--he couldnt figure his Ego'ed son out--I didnt try.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM

There was an old woodburner in the (barn) where we later sat up the splitters.
Mostly in bad weather days--to break the wind or relief from the sun and heat.
That became our cook stove--mexicans and I share many meals---cooked there.
It beat starving to death.

This was a barn---cow operation.
When the cows were on this side of the pastures,we would shovel all the cow-paddys brfore we could even begin our days.
Of course the cows got into everything--!!!

My little guys adjusted.
The puppies bonded---

Son and wife came out to bring me somethings and DIL fell in love with the white kitten.
Son suggested we build an outhouse---worked for me.
He said next time he cameout he'd bring plywood--
It was a great plan would be a hirlarious under-taken.

Before they left--my DIL would make a very stupid mistake---she washed her long hair in my Rain Barrel--oh good grief.
We had a good round about that--I had to empty--drag the barrel close to the cistern--and scrub it down and bleach it---I was so mad I was livid.
I ask her you want to drank out of that barrel?
It had never dawned on her--that I didnt have running water.
Idiot!
From then on--I gave fair warning to everybody about my water.

The weeks rocked on and the weather blazed away.
The postman saw that I was paid.
And he was always running for chain saw blades--gas--etc.
And he alway asked if I needed anything--i would give him my list and money.

I began to use the little freezer---Now I could take out meat and let it defrost while I was working--many times we cooked it over theold woodburner or the small barbque pit that was there.
I worked so late--that there was never time to cook--having to fire up thr back-yard stove.

One Sat.we finished early and the postman ask me if I wanted to ride to WM-sure I hadnt been off the Road in along time.
I went home--solared showed and changed clothes.

He carried a big cooler in his big 4x4 Nissan Pup--I grabbed ice and some lamp oil--the kerosene was giving me headaches in this unbearable heat.
Pup food---and snack foods--and then he had to go to Tractor Suppy----it was a dream place.
It gave me ideas--like reading a catalog.
Boy could I spend some money in there.

I had learned to think way ahead.
We dont do that living in the cities--so close to any market we need---

I always used my sundays to clean---heating my water--cooking as much as I could eat.
And I did eat---I was using energy--and I knew I had to maintain.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM

The 2 mexicans and I were firing out some wood.
We had 5-6ft. stacks all the way around the barn.

The wrapper who only came now every 2-3 days to wrap bundles was loving it.
He got used to our speed.
He didnt profit him to drive all the way out for a few hours.
We had piles of wood all over the place.
They would move the wrapping table(s) all over---its very hard to get around and you had to be very careful.(The fork lift was used to move the tables they were very heavy)
We threw the wood into our piles---if you crossed into our paths---So be it--you got binged on what ever part of your body happened to get in the way.

My birthday--the first on the Road---came and went--I was so relieved I knew it would get cooler.
It did in the form of a raging 12 inch rain.
Great---but I had already figured out the mud--I wasnt driving it nor crossing those bridges which floated off their moorings at any given moment.
I had catching up todo on the place.

It rained for days---the woodpile lot was muddy and slopped up nasty mess
At first the Postman came and got me---the roads at that end were underwater.
Then the bridges floated---the mexicans could get in the back way---I wasnt driving 20 Xtra miles to make the Ego happy.

The pups and I were happy---and I ate cold canned soup and stew.
And sweetrolls.

As soon as production stopped I would look for a stove.
I had to do something different.

I had cooked outside all last winter--It had worked--cold miserable days and hot miserable days.
My cistern was running over--I hated losing that water--but had no way to save it.

The 2 sons came back home--their job ending.
And they swung by to visit.
The oldest fell in love with Charlie brown the collie pup--who was now a raging adolestant.
Thank God I didnt have any cords for him to chew up.
Dog never went through that--a big silent dog--didnt bark but was a sneaky attacker--which when he was older--he did if you got off you vehicle.
A few years later he would take CB--and he moved to MN. on a line job--CB lived to be a very old dog.
He was put down in 2011--He had a form of cancer---a beautiful loving smart dog.

By Dec. production had about shut down.
If they need a few pallets they would come get me.
The mexicans would leave in Dec. and return home.
They would be back in the spring.

The boys would came back out to build my outhouse----yeah it was funny.

Last edited by Txanne; 09-08-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM

Annie,

I look forward to reading your story every day! You are an inspiration. Please keep writing.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4pintn View Post
Annie,

I look forward to reading your story every day! You are an inspiration. Please keep writing.
Amen, keep talking - lots of us are listening.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
Amen, keep talking - lots of us are listening.
I'll second this...I haven't wanted to post in this thread...but I'm in it as soon as I see a new posting!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian
Amen, keep talking - lots of us are listening
And I'll third that. First thing I check when I sit down lol Love reading this thread.
hugs Annie
sissy
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 AM

I had almost hated my first winter---it was all new and I had nearly frozen.

This winter I was acclimated to the old house and had a handle on good chunks of wood.
There was always end butt waste from the logs.
I had hauled loads of them home--some fit righ in the burner--others need splitting.
I tried to pop them---but all they did was dig down in the dirt or pop over .Dangerous when your swinging an axe.

I knew what would help.
I went back to the dump and there I dug out an old brake drum--perfect.
I would prop the butts on it---and ti took awhile for me and the Axe to get the hang of it.
But once I did---I went to town on them.
Had piles of short pieces--think enough to bank the burner.

I love that Axe,too. Was very balanced---people would see me out---splitting and would look at me like I must be nuts.
These were our weekend warriors---Lord help us.
At one time I was Axe Annie---it was a fun time---the physical exercise was so good for me--my muscles had toughened up--I was tougher--I had lung power--

I tried to get as many loads of the butts as I could or the Ego would push them up in piles and spend wwinter burning them----dummy.
One time I went down for my loads--and SHE--fake fanny came out and told me I owed her 10.00 a load---What--?? I told I didnt think so---the old Postman came out and told her---a reminder I would hear many times---this was his place and I could take what I wanted.

I was well set for the winter.
I pretty much had the wood separated---driest on one side --greenie on another--covered by (ugh--yuck hateful blue tarps.)

Isnt it strange.
I sat first chair first for 4 years in music--had years of ballet lessons.
Top sales for Gm in 79-80.
Worked dry cleaning for years
Raised my kids
Studied for a degree in mental health
Nice clean dignified work and world.

And here I was---doing something that unbelieveabely made me so happy.
I loved to scout the woods--looking for and idenifying sign.
Fishing for my supper---saving water in a hole in the ground.
Going to sleep at nite to the sounds of nature---peaceful---peace at last.

I had no finger nail---my shins would take to years to clearup from all the dings from wood-knots.
My hair was geting long---sun-bleached--so shiney from the rain water.

If you ever find peace---hang on to it---dont let it go---follow your dreams. Fight it through.

The boys were coming to build my out-house.
We'd have out-stove bacon and eggs and camp-fire coffee.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 AM

Annie, the way you describe it I can feel the heat and cold and the headaches. Lol, like Sissy said, first thing I check when I get up and last thing before I go to bed.

You really need to make this into a book. I'm sure i'm not the only one who would buy it.