BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Default ACOG equivalent (kinda), good combat optic

In an earlier thread (effective combat weapon), there was some discussion of useful optics on battle rifles.

I think I've found a relatively affordable winner.

My favorite optic, hands down, is the ACOG from Trijicon. It is an awesome, reliable, beastly sight. It never failed me in combat. I liked its scanning capabilities, its just right magnification, and its day/night/low light, battery free capability.

Of course, I was issued that sight, so all I had to do was hand it in at the end of my tour when I turned in my M4 and other junk.

I got home and looked at the price tag for an ACOG and decided right away I wasn't going to buy one- over a thousand bucks!!!

I started looking for a lower-cost equivalent, and had a heck of a time finding something decent for anywhere near my price range. A friend of mine in country had an EOTECH that I liked, it was a good sight. So I bought one and put it on a weapon- but it still wasn't what I was looking for.

I wanted something like an ACOG. I tried a few low-buck red dots with magnification, one even looked like my trusty ACOG- after messing with them I felt they would not hold up to the use I had put such optics through in the past. Some had reticles that were too bright, cheesy mounts, flimsy battery compartments, no stand-by capability, etc. It was a pretty frustrating search.

Yeah, I could have avoided all that by just buying an ACOG. But wow, that's a lot of jack. A perfectly good weapon costs about half of the price of the optic- no way. But at the same time, I know that compromise on quality isn't a good answer either.

What to do?

One day, an acquaintance knew I had been in the Army and he wanted to play show and tell with his zombie gun. What the heck, I thought, I'd look it over. I got a surprise- instead of the Tacti-cool special I had expected, he had a very solidly put together AR with the optic installed that led to the end of my search- A Burris.

His was a five power, I prefer about a three. But there was a lot to like about this optic.

First, the model number. I ended up buying a Burris AR-332 combat optic for 349 dollars, sold by Midway, Natchez, etc. It has an illuminated practical reticle, red or green. Most importantly, it works as a plain black reticle (with bullet drop compensator, like an ACOG) if you have no batteries. I like that.

It has good glass and good scanning capability, being a three power. The mounts are not cheesy. It is waterproof. The construction appears to be really heavy-duty, as to just appearing that way. The batteries are dead-common 2032s you can buy at Harbor Freight for 2 bucks per four pack- and most of the time you do not need to turn on the power, unlike most red-dots or my EOTECH.

The adjustments are 1/2 MOA, so you can tune it in well enough. It comes with flip-up covers (I like that, my ACOG had a stupid issue "bra") and rumor has it you can buy an anti-reflective cover for it.

The reticle works for snap shooting, close range work, and engaging targets at medium to long ranges. It's a good compromise, and will remind some of the old "donut of death" sights in the past.

My search was over. This is a sight with some compromises, but no serious ones. And the pluses are strong.

I have it mounted on a weapon I would have been fine with carrying in the Hindu Kush, given an M203 and PEQ-15. Give the Burris AR-332 a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I'm happy with it, as opposed to having to settle for an "adequate" optic.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Outstanding...........

Where is the "this thread needs pictures" smilie when you need it.

Enjoy
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Interesting..........
I like that kind of format. There are a lot of scopes with cross hairs with hash marks, but seems nothing like this that I have found.

Does anyone have that or something like that in a 1" diameter scope format ?
---------------- (has to be 1" round body)------------

Be sure to post a range test WITH PICTURES............
Enjoy
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Master Pontificator

The Burris sight is really awesome. I have one on order from Burris through my industry deal and look forward to getting it. I do have two EOTechs and I like them greatly, (One stands up to the Beowulf) they are rugged and useful.
I do however like the Burris and have shot with several of them, and when compared to the cost of an ACOG, they are by far a very decent compromise in my book.

I did some testing with the fAkeCOG by Bushnell, and after 19 rounds, despite being assured that they would stand up to the abuse of shotgun rounds, the Beowulf sent the lense rolling down the tubem never to be useful again. Stay away from the cheap stuff, I have a Tasco Red Dot on a crossbow, because it is a crossbow, for anything else, you get what you pay for.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM

I sure wish this thread had been started a week earlier. Today I'm expecting delivery of an EOTech 552.A65. Cost is about a hundred bucks more than the Burris.

If only I'd known earlier...

Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Master Pontificator

You will not be disappointed at all, trust me.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM

I hope so. Or I guess I hope not. That I won't be disappointed, that is. <GGG>

It's doggone hard to shop for such things when you can't hold them in your hand and see how they feel and look through the reticule. Mostly what sold me were the reviews and how knowledgeable the reviewers sounded.

But, if it comes in like it should, I'll nail it to the rifle tonight and try to blow it off the rail tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Pitdog - I'm lurking out here, reading learning, etc. But I gotta ask - how do you like the Beowulf? Hubby just got his barrel, will add it to a receiver... and surely needs a scope for it, given it's range.

Any quirks - besides recoil??
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM

I reloaded 200 rounds for a friend. He didn't want to take out a second mortgage to buy a box of the ammo. Even that, with my labor for free, cost him a bunch.

The gun will sure kick butt, though.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM

I've been instructed to ask Pitdog, if his has a muzzle break or not... apparently this also makes a difference.

To my uneducated eye, there's not a lot of difference between the typical AR upper and the Beowult... until one looks closely at the barrel. Haha!

Grumble, the ammo is NOT cheap. Odd side story: Alexander Arms is located in the old Radford Armory building. Hubs worked there during college.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdog View Post
I did some testing with the fAkeCOG by Bushnell, and after 19 rounds, despite being assured that they would stand up to the abuse of shotgun rounds, the Beowulf sent the lense rolling down the tubem never to be useful again. Stay away from the cheap stuff, I have a Tasco Red Dot on a crossbow, because it is a crossbow, for anything else, you get what you pay for.
Hunting Rhino in W.V. or a resurgence of Catamounts?

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 09-06-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Master Pontificator

White- I refuse to call you an idiot- I love my Beowulfs. I have several in different variations, and let's just say I have a very DEEP first hand knowledge and depth of experience with the Beowulf.
The recoil is pretty ugly depending on how much and how often you want to shoot it. When I was testing them back in the day, I always fired the NON muzzle break rifles first, because they hurt. I saved the ones WITH breaks for later so that they didn't kill my shoulder. If I was shooting accuracy test guns along with Wulfs, I shot them last. After being beaten by them, it made me a bit edgy when getting behind the scope.
The .50 needs a break for fun shooting, I make one myself for them. Because .50 Beowulf is a Copyrighted name, mine a for .50 caliber AR uppers with 49/64x20 threads, just avoiding trouble. I have shot everyone out there on the market, and all of them help, some more than others, stay away from the 'gill' breaks i.e. the ones with fish gill type angled slots on the side. They work ok, but will devastate anyone to the sides of the shooter.
If he has an aftermarket barrel, like one of the Liberty Barrels, he will need an upper with an enlarged ejection port. Of course the barrel, and a bolt with properly modified extractor that will actually work. Extractors even from AA are not always right and 80% of repairs at AA are extraction related. Beyond that, modify a standard AR magazine and go with it. Be prepared for grins and laughs with the first couple of rounds.
If you scope it, make sure it is a good scope or optic. Anything cheap- it will destroy it.

Sgt- The Beowulf is merely a big effing toy, not a great deal of practicality for me, but I have one that is historic, one that is experimental, and one that is just cool as well as another for testing with a short barrel. No Catamounts around to get me, and Rhinos stayed out of the garden.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdog View Post
Sgt- The Beowulf is merely a big effing toy, not a great deal of practicality for me, but I have one that is historic, one that is experimental, and one that is just cool as well as another for testing with a short barrel. No Catamounts around to get me, and Rhinos stayed out of the garden.
Nice toy! I have seen one good purpose. With 45-70 like ballistics it makes a nice wild boar gun. 45-70s are typically lever guns, and take practice for a fast follow up. The Beowulf is a good choice is dense brush for hogs and face eating users of bath salts.

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Master Pontificator

It is a good hog gun for sure, they have killed about everything there is to kill, even some dangerous game animals. It is also super good for killing vehicles and shooting through walls, if that is your thing of course. Definetly a very useful tool for the right application. In Grizzly country, I'd carry it in a heartbeat.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanks, Pitdog - hubs is now in awe of your collection.

His has the tank break on it; ordered it that way. He still has one on backorder (I have no idea what it is)... so THANKS - now he'll feel he has to collect 'em just to stay in the guy-competition!! LOL! (just kidding... the .50 on the dock was originally my idea, anyway...)

We're "bug in" people - except for the biggest hurricanes - and this one I consider our perimeter "enforcer", in an extreme SHTF situation.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Master Pontificator

Hubs need not be too impressed, save for the historic Beowulf they are collections of jumbled parts that I got from scrap or rejection and made them work, so- they are nothing to brag about, just things I pieced together.
The .50 is a definite turn off to would be aggressors because it quickly and efficiently disables vehicles-timing chains, water pumps and cyclinders are nothing to the Wulf.
Also if they are taking cover behind stuff like barn walls or car doors, they may as well NOT be taking cover at all, Wulf just drives pieces of the substrate forward through the wound channel.
Funny what I begin to remember as I rant!

Your Hubby worked at the Arsenal? Are you all local?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM

No. We used to live in the Northern Shen Valley; hubs went to school in Blacksburg - Tech. That's when he worked for the armory. Now, we've "retired" (a misnomer) to the Outer Banks. Just down the road a piece.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Master Pontificator

I know Blacksburg very well. Christiansburg, from Roanoke to Bristol is my yard.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM

That's pretty good country to be self-reliant in. You're fortunate.