BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 AM

Default Hello from an IA/NY hybrid - with a question

Hello all,

I'm happy to have found this forum. A little about me...I grew up in Iowa, moved to NYC in 2003 and am now in the process of transferring back to the midwest. I do freelance work in the city so I've considered continuing to take work out east but going back to Iowa for leisure in between jobs. If I'm honest with myself though, I'd prefer a permanent situation living a simpler life that's as self-reliant as possible. I've basically been done with the rat race for the past couple of years and I'm finally starting to put plans into action.

First off, I am looking to take a retreat in the early spring, which is what ultimately led me to this site. I've been searching everywhere for a small rustic cabin, preferably a decent distance from any city or township. I'd like to do a month or two of mental cleansing, going for daily runs in the country/woods/mountains, reading, etc. All searches I've come across are expensive tourist-type cabins, even ones claiming to be secluded and bare bones are very pricey. I'd be happy renting a cabin or shed from someone, given it had a roof over my head. Maybe electricity and water, but I'd consider going without those things.

Does anyone know where I might look? Anyone on this forum have such a thing and might consider taking me in?

Thanks!
jrkron

Last edited by jrkron; 09-07-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 AM

Welcome, I'm new here to. I'm in the suburbs and your retreat sounds like heaven to me. I'm very curious to see if anyone has a good response with information or an offer.

I know there is "couch surfing" and other concepts like that where you can stay with people for a short period. Maybe be a ranch hand or something like that. Maybe these are things they only put in stories and books but it sounds like it would be fun.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks abrickner. Ideally I'm searching for some solitude but I would be more than happy if a situation came up where I could lend a hand on site. I was in Iowa this past late spring & summer and I started a 1/2 acre chemical free garden with my uncle-- the first time either of us had ventured into such a thing. He owns about 75 acres but the majority of it is leased out to a 3rd party commercial farmer. It was a rough summer to start because of the drought but a lot was learned and I'm hoping to build upon that this next year. We ended up with a fraction of the corn we had intended but also got a good number of red & white onion, brocolli, kale, and radish. There are some pumpkins still going strong for the fall as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Hidy J, welcome from southern Oklahoma.

I don't have any info on exactly what you're looking for but check out www.caretakergazette.com

Ignore the For Sale stuff

People needing help or babysitting their places for a little while.

Last edited by txplowgirl; 09-08-2012 at 12:43 AM.