BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-10-2008, 01:21 AM

Default Essential Oils

Anyone use Essential oils (eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, ...) Which ones and what do you use them for?

Homesteading Dad n KY
Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Essential Oils

Yes, we use several kinds. They are great for balms and salves. Thyme oil in boiling water to breath in to clear airways.

CLove oil for mouth sores and tooth aches.

Eucalyptus oil, same as thyme oil.

Lavender oil for balms and creams.

Some day I would like to get a small still and make my own essential oils - they sell small units quite reasonably. Even nicer than the oil is the water generated from the process - like lavender water.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM

What would a still cost and who sells them?????
Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteadingnky
What would a still cost and who sells them?????
Here's a start - but if you google. essential oil distiller you get quite a few choices.

http://www.heartmagic.com/EOoptions.html
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the link. I glanced at it and it looks really cool. I hadn't even considered getting a still but you just gave me a project to research for sure. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM

You can make a primitive type of still by putting a small pot centered inside a larger pot (put it up on a trivit or something so it wont float away from the center of the pot) and a large bowl that will fit tightly on top of the large pot. Put what you want distilled (Finely chopped up) in the larger pot and fill with water up to the bottom of the small pot. Put the bowl on top round side down. Bring the whole thing to a slow simmer. The essential oil and water will evaporate rise up to the bowl and roll back to the center and drip into the small pot. After awhile open it up and your essential oil will be floating on top of the water in the small pot. You can put ice or cold water in the bowl to speed up the process (It makes the steam and oil condense quicker.) You might want to try this with stronger essential oils to start like orange peel oil, to get the idea and then try the more delicate oils.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM

We use Peppermint oil for headaches. Just put a drop on your finger and rub in a circular motion on your temples being very careful not to get it in your eyes. Works Great! I also like to put 3-4 drops on my shirt collar when Iím really tired especially if Iím driving. It seems to help keep me alert.

We also use eucalyptus oil if we have a stuffy nose or sinus issues. You can boil water and place several drop of oil/oils (you can safely and effectively mix peppermint and eucalyptus oils together and we do) in the water and place your head over the water and a towel over your head and breath it in. Be careful that you donít get burned on the pan or bowl of hot water.

My wife has made hot/cold packs from flannel and rice and we like to put the oils on the hot packs and warm them, then place it on your forehead. Youíll be amazed at how good it feels and how much it helps.

I know that we have only scratched the surface of whatís out there. There are many different essential oils with most having many different uses. If anyone else uses essential oils please let us know which ones and how you use them as we are hungry to learn and get more ourselves.

Thanks.
Homesteading Dad
Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 AM

Used the eucalyptus oil today. Put it in boiling water and put my head just over it and covered it with a towel and breathed it in. My ears been giving me fits this week. The steam and oil worked like a charm when nothing else was. It relieved the pressure in my ear and I felt a lot better with in minutes. Good stuff!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 PM

I use lavender oil on burns and wen trying to get some sleep. I use clove oil in vodka to make a rudimentary mouthwash when Bob had some oral surgery. We use tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and many more.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Does anyone know of a good website with essential oil recipes? I use to have a file of recipes to make oils and creams for massages, aches and pains, lotions, etc. , but it's mysteriously disappeared. And of course, now I'm ready to start making at home remedies and treatments and I have nothing to start with. :-[ Any help to start would be much appreciated! ;D Thanks!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunaRB
Does anyone know of a good website with essential oil recipes? *I use to have a file of recipes to make oils and creams for massages, aches and pains, lotions, etc. , but it's mysteriously disappeared. *And of course, now I'm ready to start making at home remedies and treatments and I have nothing to start with. *:-[ *Any help to start would be much appreciated! ;D *Thanks!
Here are a few to start with
http://www.ehow.com/how_4723513_esse...paign=yssp_art

http://www.earthyfamily.com/arom-use.htm

http://www.naturesgift.com/methods.htm

http://healing.about.com/cs/aromathe...entialoils.htm

Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 PM

HomesteadingKY, I've used essential oils from Young Living. They're super expensive, but I loved them. (I think it was $60 for 6 or 8 tiny bottles assorted and that was several years ago.) If I could afford it, I'd get helichrysum oil again. That stuff has amazing healing properties.

One thing I read in the literature from this company is that the skin cells on the bottom of your feet and palms of your hands are different from other skin cells - they allow quicker absorption of oils (or anything else for that matter) - so if it's something you want in your blood stream, rub it on the soles of your feet!
8)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 AM

Tea tree oil is a great natural antiseptic.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:58 PM

Lemon oil works well for any swollen area. My husband uses it on Baker's cysts. He goes to a naturalpathic practitioner that suggests it.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:10 PM

my favorite is a Swiss mixture called Olbas that we use for several things. Headaches, rub some of it into the nape of your neck. take a couple of drops in water for upset stomach, for sinus put a drop on a piece of tissue and stick in your nose and inhale.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn View Post

One thing I read in the literature from this company is that the skin cells on the bottom of your feet and palms of your hands are different from other skin cells - they allow quicker absorption of oils (or anything else for that matter) - so if it's something you want in your blood stream, rub it on the soles of your feet!
8)
They say that there are more pores per square inch on the feet and palms than anywhere else. That is the whole reflexology idea. You can soak your feet in anything you want absorbed or in a drying agent like epsom salts if you want something pulled out.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Default essential oils

I first started using essential oils because my young son wouldn't take any medicine, so I was desperate for something to be able to apply topically. My first experience was using Peppermint, diluted with grapeseed oil as a carrier, rubbed on the bottoms of his feet, shoulders, chest and back to bring down a high fever. I remember after I applied the oil, I left the room to wash my hands, and when I came back in, he was comfortable enough that he had already fallen asleep. I couldn't believe it! Several months later, I was diagnosed with Strep, and I used Deliverance (an anti-viral anti bacterial blend from Butterfly Express) to deal with the pain and the infection. It worked like a charm...after that I was hooked! By now, I have pretty much replaced everything in my medicine cabinet with essential oils, and occasionally herbs that I also get from Butterfly Express. Here is just a few of the things we use oils for at our house:
Lavender: great on minor burns, prevents infection in bug bites, natural anti-histamine
Peppermint: Fever, itching from rashes (diluted with water), headache, tummy ache, indegestion
Inside Out-a blend from Butterfly Express- balances anything related to digestion. I've seen it halt explosive diarrhea in minutes, as well as relieve constipation. Also works on vomiting and nausea. a MUST have in our home!
Tea Tree: a good first response for flu. Whenever we feel like we are coming down with something, we put a few drops in the back, or dab it on throat, over sinuses, behind neck, etc, and what we are coming down with usually never fully develops
Purify-another Butterfly Express blend-a summertime must have, neutralizes poisons from bug bites/stings. If I can get this on right away, there is little to no pain or swelling, even on the wasp bite we had this summer!
oh, I can go on and on! myrtle to relieve stuffy nose, cypress zaps runny nose, Aspire (a Butterfly Express blend) for cough, Breezey (from Butterfly Express) fro upper respiratory infections. We just use these amazing oils everywhere in our family. I even clean with them, and use them as air fresheners (there's a Butterfly Blend called Housewarming (cinnamon, orange and vanilla, oh my!) Anyway, the blends I've mentioned we get at Butterfly Express, but any high quality company would have similar blends, such as their own respiratory blend, digestive blend, etc. I've just found Butterfly Express to have consistent high quality and the are very affordable. Hope this helps!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM

I've just started using essential oils in natural cleaners and such.
Baking soda with tea tree oil for cleaning shower stall/tub, etc in the bathroom.
Lavender on the filters in the vacuum.
Mineral oil and geranium for wood.