BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Default All Grain Leftovers

I've been brewing all grain for awhile now and don't know what to do with all the grain leftovers.

You take cracked wheat, rye, barley, etc and crack it. Now soak and run hot water through it to get the stratches converted to sugar. The liquid you get is wort and the start of your beer.

Now I have about 1/2 to 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of husks and I assume some usable wheat or other grain "bits". I assume most people though this away but I at least add it to the compost. Does anyone else do something different with em? Could you save it to make bread or something? Have a recipe?

My place isn't big enough for animals but I guess you could add it to feed? I tried a bit, not bad
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrickner View Post
I've been brewing all grain for awhile now and don't know what to do with all the grain leftovers.

You take cracked wheat, rye, barley, etc and crack it. Now soak and run hot water through it to get the stratches converted to sugar. The liquid you get is wort and the start of your beer.

Now I have about 1/2 to 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of husks and I assume some usable wheat or other grain "bits". I assume most people though this away but I at least add it to the compost. Does anyone else do something different with em? Could you save it to make bread or something? Have a recipe?

My place isn't big enough for animals but I guess you could add it to feed? I tried a bit, not bad
I generally roll my bread in it once it's dried and bake it to add a nice flavor and a bit of a crunch to the bread.

Suppose you could also grind it to flour to produce a low starch flour to dust bread and add nuttyness.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 AM

I gallon size bags, freeze and use as needed for baking, hot cereal, etc. Of give to me when I get home and I will feed it to the chickens and hogs. May work out a trade if you are close enough
Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM

If you know anyone with chickens trade it for eggs would be what I'd look at.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM

I compost mine, but you can feed it to chickens, hogs, etc. Just not horses or ruminants is what I hear as they can get excessive stomach irritation from the enzymes. You can make bread out of it but it is more of an additive like a cup to a double batch of bread. If you are doing all grain, that is a lot of bread to use up 9 lbs of spent grain!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8sh00ter View Post
I compost mine, but you can feed it to chickens, hogs, etc. Just not horses or ruminants is what I hear as they can get excessive stomach irritation from the enzymes. You can make bread out of it but it is more of an additive like a cup to a double batch of bread. If you are doing all grain, that is a lot of bread to use up 9 lbs of spent grain!
Thats why I been dusting my bread with it. 1 pound of wheat = 2 cups of wheat
2 cups of wheat = 3 cups of flour. After forming my bread and scoring I've since began baking the left overs dry. Once dry I mill them till it's a fine flour. I then dust my loaves with it.

You'd have 54 cups. I use about 1/4-1/2 cup depending on the loaf. Remember to dust before the final rise or before the bake. That comes out to 216 loaves or 108 loaves. With that many loaves. Can go to the farmers market and sell some fresh bread or trade it for some other goodies.

Typically I bring it to the bakers at the farmers market who buy it from me then buy other stuff. I have 4 beers going at a time. Currently I've got a russian imperial stout going when they are done. I'll have 88 pounds of left over grains, 528 cups of milled flour, enough for 1056 or 2112 loaves, 5 six gallon buckets and a 3 gallon bucket for the nice bread makers. Should last them awhile lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 AM

MMmm, stout. I like stout. Which is creepy, because I don't like most ales or lagers (especially lagers).

Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyPitcher View Post
MMmm, stout. I like stout. Which is creepy, because I don't like most ales or lagers (especially lagers).
I've got a recipe for chocolate cherry stout...not sure about it haven't tried it, it's next on my list of things to do.