BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Hands-On How-To

Hands-On How-To This board is ONLY for detailed, instructional posts about how to do or make something. General conversation about a topic belongs in the appropriate board.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Default Solar distiller

I'm trying to come up with different designs for a solar distiller.

1. One would be a gallon jug (glass) that sits in the sun with a tube that runs into another glass gallon jug (in the shade).

2. A shallow pan that sits in a cold frame and as the the moisture condensates on the underside of the glass it is directed into a container.

These designs seem great for summer but what about winter? metal container over fire with a metal tube (worm as we say in moonshining) and condensate into a glass jug?

Has anyone tried these or something else? How much distilling could I expect?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Take a tea kettle the kind you fill through the spout, remove the plastic part that covers the spout, get a rubber stopper that fits snugly into the spout, drill a hole in the rubber stopper, fill the tea kettle a little less than half full with your mash, insert the stopper into the spout and push the copper tube from your condenser into the hole in the stopper.
For solar use, you can use a parabolic mirror, which would be kind of spendy or a series of hand mirrors arranged in an oval shape.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Merchant, I like your idea of a parabolic mirror. Do you think a stainless steel mixing bowel (polished) would work? As far as mirrors are concerned I have the mirrors (about 15 of them, 16"x24"). The problem is how to focus them and control their position as the sun moves.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 PM

An easy to find form for a parabolic mirror would be a defunct satellite TV dish antenna. Simply line it with tin foil (aluminum foil these days) and use the pick up as the starting point for the focal point.
Way back in the olden days we used the “flying saucer” snow sleds that looked like a shallow dish about 3 feet in diameter. They worked really well to act as a “big ear” so we could listen to the drive in movies we watched from a friends rooftop. Don’t know if they still make them though.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheradar View Post
Merchant, I like your idea of a parabolic mirror. Do you think a stainless steel mixing bowel (polished) would work? As far as mirrors are concerned I have the mirrors (about 15 of them, 16"x24"). The problem is how to focus them and control their position as the sun moves.

It would depend on the size, and focal point, the mirror is working like a magnifying glass focusing the suns heat in a smaller area
Old 07-23-2015, 12:37 AM

http://images.slideplayer.us/7/16757...es/slide_4.jpg