BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Default Need Ideas for Another Income Stream

So after 3 tough years, I am out of the woods - but broke. I have a job that covers the necessities but I need some extra income to rebuild my emergency fund and put away for the future.

I have a lot of time but not a lot of money to get something started. Zoning laws prohibit anything like chickens or bees. I'm good with my hands and have a construction background. I don't mind hard work.

I have applied at Taskrabbit www.taskrabbit.com but they aren't in my area yet.

One working idea is soap making - with a focus on making a product that is cheaper than what is in stores and that is built on a sustainable business model. Still working that idea out.

I'd love to work at a gun shop but none are hiring.

Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Go to a gunsmithing school, get your FFL, and put an ad in the paper? Build cabinets or furniture? Something I got my kids doing as teens was to build small greenhouses.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Try Ebay. Get a PayPAl account. Buy at garage sales, Goodwill etc. and sell on Ebay. Typical would be $3 for shoes at Goodwill and sell on Ebay for $40. Pay $15 for shipping/paypal/ebay fees and the rest is yours!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM

It's not enough to live on but if you choose a subject that you're interested in and know something about, then put together an informational site about it, adding pages to it periodically, in time you'll have traffic, and can sell Google Adwords. I have web sites about the Bible, ocelots, cats, Upper Peninsula pasties, reactive attachment disorder, and some others. My Bible site brings in from $200-400 a month in Google Adwords, and my RAD site does better than that. Review books on the same or related subjects, and you can sell books through an Amazon affiliate. Between all of my sites, I bring in from $200-800 a month from Amazon, the higher amounts generally in the months before Christmas. I badly need to find time to update my sites, because I haven't touched them in years, but they're still bringing in money. This isn't a quick cash scheme though, as it can take some time for you to get enough traffic to make money from it, and some sites just don't make money for some reason.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your input so far...keep those ideas rollin' in.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 AM

This is intriguing! How long did it take you to get the web traffic needed to make that amount of money? How does one find out about Google Adwords?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
This is intriguing! How long did it take you to get the web traffic needed to make that amount of money?
My best producing site - the Bible site - was up for years before I even thought about monetizing it, but the reactive attachment disorder site began making money almost immediately.

We don't do a lot of that anymore because there are just too many shysters claiming to do search engine optimization these days. Never send money to someone who promises to have your site listed in a thousand directories, since there less than a half dozen that count, and these people couldn't get your site listed any easier than you could yourself.

My wife was actually one of the first two people to do that, even before they had a name for it. Some significant directories, such as Yahoo, require a payment for listing your site. They do list sites for free but they have to be informational sites that offer value to their directory, and it takes awhile; although they've listed a couple of my sites that I hadn't even submitted to them. If anyone else on the Internet links to your site, Google will find and list it. My wife and I met working for the Open Directory Project, which was the directory that began Google. When I am working on a site, I don't want it listed anywhere until it's ready to go, yet I have had Google find and list sites that couldn't possibly have been linked to by anyone. Google spiders the Internet constantly, so it's not hard to be listed there, and perhaps as much as 80% of my traffic comes from Google, the trick being to have your site listed on the first page or two of results from keywords or phrases that someone might use to find your product of site topic. Very few people will look beyond the first couple of pages

If you google "reactive attachment disorder", my RadKid.Org site comes up as the sixth result. For many years, it was reliably the number one result. It has dropped because I haven't added anything to it for years. I can get it back up again if I were to add some pages to it and make other modifications, in order to keep the spiders interested.

Google, and the other directories, change their algorithm often, so discourage scammers from gaming the system. Generally, although there are a lot of tricks that can be used to give your site a boost in the rankings, what they are looking for is to have the most valuable sites showing up high in the rankings. So the best way to get traffic is to make your site worth visiting and something that others will direct people to. This is why I suggest choosing a topic that you have a genuine interest in, then concentrating on putting together as much useful information about that topic as you can. Build it, and they will come... although it sometimes takes awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
How does one find out about Google Adwords?
Actually, I misspoke. Google Adwords is the other end of it. Google Adsense is what you would want, and you'll find that by googling "Google Adsense". They don't accept every site into the program but I've never had them turn me down.

With Google Adsense, you would insert a bit of code into your site that will display advertisements, generally related to your topic. The advertiser pays Google, and Google pays you a percentage of what the advertiser has bid. If you look at my RadKid.Org site, you will see that I don't overdo either the number of Google ads or the Amazon links. Many sites won't link to your site if you have too many ads, and some directories will not list your site for free if it's too heavily loaded with ads. Also, I have found that when readers see too many ads, they don't click on any of them. I usually use a single Google ad because when I do that, the one that shows up will be the one from the advertiser who has bid the most, and which will subsequently pay me the most per click.

There is much more involved, but the main thing is to focus on providing information to your readers. My Bible site is the first one that I built, apart from the home page that it is a part of. It perhaps helps that many of my readers think that I am the same Ken Anderson who is a noted Christian author, although I certainly never make that claim. That site was up for years before I tried to sell anything. I started getting emails from people asking me where they could find certain books or Bible translations. I would hunt it up for them, and email them a response. After awhile, I thought it might be easier if I just linked to the most common requests. I became an Amazon affiliate and that site has been selling a lot of books ever since. At least a dozen times, churches have ordered pew Bibles from my site, giving me hundreds of sales at once. The ones that sell the most are the ones that I have been able to personally review, then even the ones that I gave a bad review to seem to sell.

I'm afraid that I'm taking over this thread though. If there is an interest, perhaps I could begin another thread on this topic. I don't earn enough to live on through Google Adsense or the Amazon affiliate but if I were to lose a job, it would pay my mortgage and insurance until I found something else.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Great information! I appreciate it. Please do start another thread if you have time.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Do you hunt? Because, if you have experience in cutting up and freezing deer, you might be able to do it for money for other hunters.

Secondly, this is how my pantry pays for itself and also puts money in my pocket......

I rarely pay full price for the foods that we use a lot of. With a family of 4 I save perhaps $20 a week, which is the same as about $1000 a year.

Basically, when there is a most excellet sale on something we like I use the grocery money to buy as much as I can afford, and I put it in my pantry. Last week I bought 12 cans of green beans at 33 cents a can (limit of 12) and a couple of days before that I bought 12 cans of corn. In the future, when green beans and corn are NOT on sale we will eat them from the pantry and I restock such things when they come on sale again. I have noticed that most such foods go on sale every 2-3 months and so I simply never run out!

Also, if you have an Aldi's in your area they are a lot cheaper for any grain produce (stovetop stuffing, mac n cheese, etc). Their mac n cheese tastes just like Kraft but it is 35 cents a box! Take cash because Aldi's does not do checks or credit cards, and you bag your own groceries.

Lastly, everybody likes snacks. You can make a big batch of sweet rolls for 75 cents: just roll out bread dough, dribble well with melted butter or margerine, sprinkle heavily with brown sugar, dust generously with cinnamon, roll up, slice, raise and bake. Turn out HOT or the goodies will stick to the pan!

My bread dough recipe is very simple: 3 cups of flour, heaping teaspoon of salt, heaping teaspoon on yeast, tablespoon og sugar, tablespoon of oil, and a cup of water. I like to knead the dough in a bread machine I bought in the origional box at goodwill, but you can do it by hand if you are patient! I either make it into sweet rolls or I bake it as bread.

For bread, I spray the bread pan with pam, drop the dough in, raise and bake. That is all: no punching down, no double raising!

The bread is done when it is browned on top. I have tried baking it at different temperatures but it does not seem to matter: when it is brown it is done!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 PM

Default Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfander View Post

I'm afraid that I'm taking over this thread though. If there is an interest, perhaps I could begin another thread on this topic.
Take over and lead the way! A big "Yes, please!" to the thread idea!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 AM

Default Pizza Delivery

Tried to get a part-time job delivering pizza. I have a clean criminal / driving history and have had a stable job for many years. All I'm looking for is 15 - 20 hours of extra income.

I figured they's want to hire a guy with a track record of increasing responsibility, stability, reliable transporation and good people skills. How wrong I was.

Got turned down. They apparently want the youths...I was over qualified. I guess the manager thought I was going to show him up. Personally, I hire people all the time that are smarter and better qualified than myself.

Back to the drawing board...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Do you have a pick-up truck?

If so you could use it to make a little extra cash.

You could look into scrap metal recycling. Thats where you haul metal in and they pay you by the ton. Lots of people put metal things out by the road and hope that someone will haul them off. Thats free money right there. Aluminum, copper, and brass pay by the pound. So it pays to seperate it out.

You could also use your truck to maybe say do some hauling away of trash or brush. There is a dump near here (a really big one) that charges $25.00 a pickup load of trash. Find one in your area and what the rates are and charge accordingly.

Or haul brush off for folks, especially if you have a rural place to dump it off so it will compost down.

After a big storm, you could help clear downed trees (you would need a chainsaw for this) for a fee, then haul the wood off and sell it for firewood.

You could charge for helping someone move things. Or if your trucks big enough you could pull a trailer or a camper for someone.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom5farmboys View Post
Do you have a pick-up truck?

If so you could use it to make a little extra cash.

You could look into scrap metal recycling. Thats where you haul metal in and they pay you by the ton. Lots of people put metal things out by the road and hope that someone will haul them off. Thats free money right there. Aluminum, copper, and brass pay by the pound. So it pays to seperate it out.

You could also use your truck to maybe say do some hauling away of trash or brush. There is a dump near here (a really big one) that charges $25.00 a pickup load of trash. Find one in your area and what the rates are and charge accordingly.

Or haul brush off for folks, especially if you have a rural place to dump it off so it will compost down.

After a big storm, you could help clear downed trees (you would need a chainsaw for this) for a fee, then haul the wood off and sell it for firewood.

You could charge for helping someone move things. Or if your trucks big enough you could pull a trailer or a camper for someone.

Hope this helps.
LOL Mom/5 you beat me too it.

I have made extra cash hauling stuff.
Here is another idea.

A bereavement service.
Some people dont have the time or live out of the area when a loved one dies.
Get a surety bond---print up some cards---talk to funeral directors offering your service.
One that I did--reguired alot of packing----dishes knic-knacks---but they gave me lots of odds and ends furniture---i had a yard sale with tha---xtra bucks.
I know that sounds abit wierd---but now days people make alot of money thinking outside the box.

my truck is for hire---as long as I get paid.

annie
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm gonna second Annie's idea on clearing/packing houses for those who pass on. My MIL lived with us, when she died - only bringing her furniture and personal items. None of the kids live close and have busy families with kids, except us - and we live 6 hours away. Two years later, the sister is looking for a service who would clear the house: some to a dumpster... the rest to pack. And we're having trouble finding someone.

Might not be steady work... but I can think a few other situations where this kind of service would be a god-send.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM

I like the idea, and think it would be a really helpful service. Problem, as I see it, is what to call it?

Terminal services?
Final clearance?
Last house cleaning?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
I like the idea, and think it would be a really helpful service. Problem, as I see it, is what to call it?

Terminal services?
Final clearance?
Last house cleaning?
I call my Breavement Services
And I give a brief list of services
on my cards.

Heavy lifting means hiring xtra hands.
A heavy duty dolly and tie down rope.
Simple.

But my contract-----and you NEED it on paper as in any other business.
What you are being paid to do;
I did get a DBA for legal purposes just in case.
And I will not enter a house where theres valuable jewerlry--firearms .(never ever)

And I had one that paid very well---they didnt want any of dads things--he had donated much of it to charity .

And lots of older folks are moving to smaller places.

Just a thought
Txanne