BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Medicinal plants

It's my understanding that although the whole purple coneflower boosts immunity, the best punch comes from making a tincture of a mature plant's roots (3-4 yrs old). I began to divide the multitude and plant in four different locations so I could rotate (and easily keep track of) where I took roots.

I made the most magnificent tincture this past fall, and oh, it is quite horrid-tasting, too. But so darned effective, I can't complain! Two days ago I started being sniffly and snotty; I let it escalate until yesterday afternoon and began hitting it with several small doses of the A.T. (awful tincture) and this morning I'm nearly clear.

I love plants!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Sage -
You discovered the secret of echinacea! It tastes so darn bad your body gets better just so it won't have to endure any more of that stuff!

I dig the roots in the fall, scrape 'em like a carrot, then chop the woody roots and put the choppings into grain alcohol and seal the bottle. Six weeks in the dark and I have the best immune booster I've ever found - and a few drops under the tongue or up to 15 drops in a glass of water will beat bronchitis back like nothing else does!

My friend's kids call it ICK-inacea!

My guess is the root could also be dug any time the ground isn't frozen - all that power for the next year's growth is stored in the root. As soon as the stems start sprouting, the plant's powers go up the stem to create new life. (At least, that's the way I was taught!)
Old 03-31-2007, 01:19 AM

I am growing thyme along with some herbs for cooking. Thyme is great for treating bronchitis and sore throats. I started to develop bronchitis about a week ago, and I would add some thyme to boiling water and inhale the steam. It cleared up quickly. I also made a very unpleasant tea made up of both thyme and sage for my sore throat.

I am a little new to growing and preparing remedies. I didn't even know what a tincture was...lol. But, I found this website that gave a list of remedy types and how to prepare them.

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/i....asp#morebelow
Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Inactive Member

Onion Cure for colds.

At the VERY first sign of a cold, puree an onion, use a bit of water to make an applesauce consitancy.

As for Dosage ....
a brown haired or back haired adult 1tsp. every 8 hours for 3 doses

redhead 1 tsp. every 4 hours for 6 doses

blondes 3/4 tsp. everry 8 hours for 3 doses

children depending on age 1/8 to 1/2 tsp follow for hair color.

let the onionsause slide slowly down your throat...it will sting! nothing to eat or drink for 15 mins.

Why the difference in hair color? It has to do with a person's general disposition, browns/blacks more even tempered. Redheds firery and blonds sensitive. I learned this from a practicing herbilist.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe
How do you make lemon balm tea? I have lots of it but only use it for lemon flavor in iced tea. I need to know how much to use and how long to steep. Any help is appreciated.
I took about 5 or 6 or more long fresh sprigs of it, about as tall as a quart jar, rinsed of bugs and dust a little and stuffed them in said quart jar, boiled water and poured it over them. I lidded the jar and let it cool on its own. Later i fridged it. Later I poured it over ice (which dilutes it a bit) and drank it.

Yum. You can always dilute strong tea, but it's darned hard to make it stronger once it's made.

Good stuff!

I did basically the same with coneflower leaves and flowers, and with catnip flowering tops. the flowers from the catnip come pretty loose in the tea, but eh.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Inactive Member

I do not grow any plants in my garden. With what I find around here, other then the few "I wish I could finds" this is what I have gathered so far this year. I live in the country in Wisconsin. No wait, when we go to town, that is the country. We live where what I call is heaven on earth
These I have listed below I have found more then I will ever be able to use for years! I only have what I will need until next spring. Then it will be harvest time again. My proch smells just lovely now tho.

-St. Johns Wort
-Evening Primrose
-Yarrow
-Camomile (the pineapple plant version)
-Plantain
-Heal-All (turns out THIS was the little pretty flower I could not figure out what it was growing all over my hillside)
-Brudock
-Milk Weed (we pick and eat the buds before they flower. They are awesome tasting. Leave some for the butterflies tho and their lovely smell!)
-Mullein
-Raspberry and blackberries(leaves and berries)
-Catnip
-Various other kind of mints plants
-Dandelion
-Wild onion and garlic
-Ferns
-GoldenRod
-Golden Seal
-Our Hawthron trees
-15 varities of apple trees
-Stinging Nettle
-Ginseng( have not found this yet, but I KNOW it grown abountly around here. My fiance Uncle use to dig it every year in the fall. Scatter the seeds before you do tho, to keep the plant going) This is the only one I dont have drying or put up yet.

This is a quick list of what I can see that is hanging to dry on my porch right now. I have used dry plants for a while now, but due to my inventory growing every year, I am running out of room. This is why I was questioning tintures. Looking into making the oils as well this year.

There are a couple plants, that no matter where I look, I can not find what they are. I have not given up the serach for them tho, I will find out what they are.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs
-Milk Weed (we pick and eat the buds before they flower. *They are awesome tasting. *Leave some for the butterflies tho and their lovely smell!)
Actually, I've been growing milkweed in my yard for three years, yes I'm sure folks think I'm quite mad.

What I've found is
a. First-years don't produce flowers
b. If I harvest the early flower bud balls, the plant will produce more.
c. They don't produce at the same rate at the same time, so there's always some that are too far along for me.
d. I also eat the top 4 leaves, since that's how I learned from the tribal people.

There are milkweed bugs and monarchs all over the plants (about 30 or so of them). And the sphynx moths are busy, busy, lol.

I froze my 2nd picking. I haven't tried that before.

I totally don't boil and change the water like some instructions say. I just steam them and season them and eat them. Heh.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 PM

I grow thyme, basil, comfrey, marjoram, oregano, chamomile, and echinacea. From around and near my home I use St. John's wort, evening primrose, clover, plantain, wild raspberry, blackberry, and strawberry leaves, mullein, bladder campion, thistle, curly dock, burdock, heal all or self-heal, yarrow, and much, much more!

Best regards
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Passed On

Wink Dandylions

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/kallas82.html
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Default Making teas

REMINDER: You do NOT have to dry herbs first to make tea. Just shake and rinse the fresh herb (for bugs and dust) and pour just-boiled water over it.

You'll get used to the correct amounts for reach herb.