BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Default question for deer hunters on soap

I have been ask to do some hunter's soap for hunting and fishing and what some call bug off soap for a county fair coming up, if you are a deer hunter would the scent of the soap repel the deer, or would it not matter being that most hunters are in a tree stand or blind?
Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

To a bowhunter, scent is everything. If you check places like Cabella's or Bass Pro, you'll find special scentless soaps. Deer will shy away at any scent that they don't recognize or that they might find threatening. They make a living at being cautious.

I even rinse my hunting clothes several times after washing, and then store them in a plastic bag with fresh pine and cedar to get a strong natural scent on them. If you could make a soap that smelled good and familiar to deer (apple, or natural pine for example), I bet you could find some customers. But, stay away from any artificial or chemical smells.

As for the bug repellent, I honestly don't know. If it's something natural in your local area that deer would be familiar with, it would be worth giving it a try!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Master Pontificator

Thank you grumble
Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Jean, for bug repellent...

chrysanthemums have a chemical in them that is used for natural bug repellent. I've successfully used wormwood, tansy, artemesias - silver king, silver mound that kind of plant - with some lavender, to make "wooly booly" sachets to hang in my closet to repel moths and silver fish.

Lavender is just a good all-round plant to have. You can even flavor butter with it! I need to try getting it started inside this winter and try planting some out again.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM

I've often wondered about a pine scent body soap..............
Is there such a thing ? Can you make such a thing ?
What kind of "natural nature" scents can you make / add to laundry soap.
Or shower soap for that matter.

I know there are a hundred body and laundry soaps for sale for this. But always wondered about home made or common available products to add to the laundry or shower.

I have talked to people who rave about (fill in the blank) laundry or shower soap, but they smell like after shave on there way out to the woods............. (chuckle)

Good luck