BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Default HS'ing when the SHTF

I come in here once in awhile and have begun to wonder?

IF the SHTF how will folks educate their little ones.

I think we have seriously neglected this part of the forum.

What will you do?
No public school?
Will you network and trade school lessons?

Do any of you have any thought on this?

TxAnne mentioned this in another thread but I didn't want to hijack that one so I started another thread as it is something that needs to be considered and I would love to hear other people's thoughts.

My thoughts...

My older children (my teenagers) do their core lessons (history, math, English, and science) on the computer. I did this to help with transcripts should they decide on college or a trade school. All their electives (Bible, art, life skills, literature, logic, foreign languages, etc) are from books.... as are all the younger children's schoolwork.

So we have educating covered until the 8th and for the most part beyond. I don't see where transcripts and credits would be necessary should the the SHTF. Up until about 75 - 100 years ago an 8th grade level education would have made a person "well educated."

Depending on the circumstances of a worse case scenario I'm not sure that technology and needing that knowledge as well as all the other electives would really be necessary since it would be more or less "survival mode." I think the "old pioneer skills" would be more necessary... gardening, hunting, foraging, animal husbandry, food preservation, ect.

Also another thought: if you have a Bible really you have a complete curriculum... history, science, language arts, basic math; learn and memorize poetry; diagram sentences; penmanship. It wasn't that long ago in our history that if a family owned a book, the Bible was it... and a lot of great people received their education from it. It wasn't until more institutional schooling became the main stream that more and more variety of books and subjects became necessary. Even in the early days of this country's educational histrory the Bible was the core and foundation of one's education.