BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
It has cooled off now and many of our sewers/crafters will be starting our winter projects.

I am cutting-out/getting ready to sew more aprons.
Had an order for 4 tough plain janes from a small cafe with center pockets.

What are your plans?
Interest this winter--I know most have so much todo in the summer and for me it was too hot to work on my hobby/maybe make some money.

Whats your project?

Txannw
I'm hoping to finally finish a quilt I started last year. It's a fall quilt, using alternating star of the west and maple leaf blocks. All of the fabrics are either solid fall colors or prints (pumpkins, leaves, etc). It's larger than king sized & has over 1800 individual pieces. It's been a doozie!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBelle View Post
I'm hoping to finally finish a quilt I started last year. It's a fall quilt, using alternating star of the west and maple leaf blocks. All of the fabrics are either solid fall colors or prints (pumpkins, leaves, etc). It's larger than king sized & has over 1800 individual pieces. It's been a doozie!!
That is a challege---wow.
But a nice winter-foul weather project.
Nice!!
annie
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBelle View Post
Wow! I hope you'll share a photo of this masterpiece once it's complete!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM

I also have many projects that need to be completed. I have quilts to bind, upholstery fabric to make into bags, and material I want to make into table runners and placemats.

The new thing I want to try this winter is hula hoop weaving. I bought a hula hoop this summer for $3. Just cut the beginning loops from a t-shirt to warp the hoop. Then I will use strips saved from old or torn t-shirts to weave with. I want to try a rug, and then possibly weave cushions for my kitchen chairs. Instead of knotting all of the ends for fringe when I'm finished weaving, I'll leave extra on the cushions so they can be tied to the chairbacks. If interested, google "hula hoop t shirt weaving".
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwoman View Post
I also have many projects that need to be completed. I have quilts to bind, upholstery fabric to make into bags, and material I want to make into table runners and placemats.

The new thing I want to try this winter is hula hoop weaving. I bought a hula hoop this summer for $3. Just cut the beginning loops from a t-shirt to warp the hoop. Then I will use strips saved from old or torn t-shirts to weave with. I want to try a rug, and then possibly weave cushions for my kitchen chairs. Instead of knotting all of the ends for fringe when I'm finished weaving, I'll leave extra on the cushions so they can be tied to the chairbacks. If interested, google "hula hoop t shirt weaving".
How neat--never heard of hula hoop weaving---wow!!

Interesting new thing to try.
Thanks
Annie
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 AM

Well as usual I'm late to the party but I do have a project or two I'd like to work on this winter.

I too started a quilt last year, the maple leaf pattern, but I did something wrong along one edge and at the time I was so tired of working on it I just folded it up and put it away. I don't think it would take much to fix it--just get my seam ripper and rip out the strips along the edge that are messed up, and I *think* I need to cut some diamond shaped pieces for the edge (ran the quilt squares on-edge, diagonally to form diamonds instead of just rows of squares). If I can finish this I'm not going to get fancy with the batting or backing---I'll just put a thin blanket for the batting and a flat sheet for the backing, then I'll just tack it together and bind it with some binding I'll make from one of the fabrics I used.

The other project I'd like to do would be to make some doggy quilts. Nothing elaborate, just a 9 patch layout. I have a couple of pieces of fabric in my stash that are flannel and have dog footprints on them and would make really cute doggy quilts.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM

I have 2 quilts ready to send to the quilter - you'd think I'd stick them in a box and lick a stamp to send them on their way, I have a pattern and material ready for my next quilt, if I would only cut it out. Maybe after the Christmas cookie rush is past...

This Thursday I'm making duvet covers for my 3 nephews. Big projects like this make me really appreciate my serger!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

First grandbaby(granddaughter) is due March 1st, so I've been making cloth diapers, blankets, and burp cloths. Hope to get it all done on my Christmas break from work.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Wow Ladies----awesome.
BTW---welcome to the forum.

Ya put me to shame.

Txanne
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM

I finally forced myself to go online and get some baby fabric ordered. I too, have a granddaughter on the way, around the end of January. It won't quite be heirloom sewing - yet - but it will be hand embroidered. Bought some 168 thread count broadcloth. I hoping the higher thread count will be like sheets - a softer, smoother hand. The other that they had was only 68; and that made me think it was more like what Walmart has.

Bought a whole bolt of white flannel; hubs wants some gun cleaning pads and he went looking to buy cloth diapers... LOL!! I had to explain it to him.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 PM

Default Like I didn't have enough to do

DD brought BACK a quilt that I had just about finished so that I could finish quilting it! So it is in the frame and I am working on a wall hanging for DS's bedroom... evening star in red and santa! It was fun to have him pick out the pattern and fabric.
I got a whole bolt of calico at a thrift in my travels. Backing for a king size flying geese I started last year.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 AM

I have been sewing rice bags for family members so that they can warm them and wrap them around whatever ails them. Did a larger one that can flatten out and use for the lower back but it came in handy when my oldest son (who has bad knees and lots of pain with the changing of weather systems) got came in and said that he had been awake for hours hurting. Heated up the x-large rice bag I had made and covered both knees at once. Really helped his pain. Mother-in-law loves her medium sized one and uses almost every day.

Today, I tried my hand at making some bibs to use on the babies that I keep. I hate the ones that are too small or the velcro quits working. Made two before my machine quit working right. I am using my little Singer Featherweight I have used since I was 7 years old. I use to sit in my dad's shop and sew like my mom did. I have ordered my belt for my treadle so eventually I will get to try it out.

Next project to tackle are some feminine pads and pads for those times when you cough so much that you wet your pants. This will be an experiment to see how well it works as I have no pattern, just an idea in my head.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4pintn View Post
I have been sewing rice bags for family members so that they can warm them and wrap them around whatever ails them. Did a larger one that can flatten out and use for the lower back but it came in handy when my oldest son (who has bad knees and lots of pain with the changing of weather systems) got came in and said that he had been awake for hours hurting. Heated up the x-large rice bag I had made and covered both knees at once. Really helped his pain. Mother-in-law loves her medium sized one and uses almost every day.

Today, I tried my hand at making some bibs to use on the babies that I keep. I hate the ones that are too small or the velcro quits working. Made two before my machine quit working right. I am using my little Singer Featherweight I have used since I was 7 years old. I use to sit in my dad's shop and sew like my mom did. I have ordered my belt for my treadle so eventually I will get to try it out.

Next project to tackle are some feminine pads and pads for those times when you cough so much that you wet your pants. This will be an experiment to see how well it works as I have no pattern, just an idea in my head.
I need to make me some rice packs---what rice do you use---plain cheap white rice?
I glad you posted this---I have heating pads but afraid young doxie will chew it--Tks for the reminder.(lower back pain)
i have some flannel I can use.

annie
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM

These are positively wonderful! The one I have has some herbs mixed in... the one I notice the most is lavender. So you get the calming, relaxing aromatherapy effect at the same time you're adding some heat.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM

I just use cheap plain white rice. It works well for us.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 AM

The nice thing is that they conform to whatever hurts better than a heating pad. I can lay on a heating pad and it helps to break up congestion in my chest but I can't conform it well to the front of my chest where I feel like I need it. My arm was hurting last night from dipping christmas goodies and I wrapped around my arm and it really helped.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM

How far have we gotten with our winter projects?

I am so behind.
Praying so hard for a house to spread out in.
I can lay out everything and sew as time permits.

Annie
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM

We? WE?? Well, I haven't gotten anything done on finishing my maple leaf quilt. I have the urge to sew again, but I want to jump the gun and start another quilt, but then I feel guilty because I never even ripped out and fixed what I needed to on the one I started fall of '11.

I think the next quilt I do will be totally utilitarian, maybe one of those raggedy quilts. I love the way they look, and I'm thinking if I used 9" squares i would go quicker than piecing the maple leaf squares.

So me, I haven' gotten anywhere on my winter sewing. I'm ashamed.

How about you?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM

Mixed Results:

Made some baby blankets and large softy and cuddly throws, pillows for my son to sleep on, helped my daughter make some baby stuff for her hope chest; but now, two machines are out being fixed. Thinking about just breaking down and buying a new one rather than using handmedowns. Tired of having machines that don't work when you want to sew.

Oh yeah, the pad was a bust because I hadn't considered that they would leak through where the thread was sewed through the water proof barrier. Also, my daughter said that there needed to be a way to keep them from feeling like they were sliding around and maybe a larger foldover and snap area might help. Back to the drawing board AFTER I GET A MACHINE THAT WORKS!

I guess I will just practice knitting or crocheting or sew by hand for a while til I can get a machine.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 AM

I can see I am in fine company----I have been in a rum-dum stage.
We'll get it togather in the by and by huh?