BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Default One down

Got DD's quilt done. Already have another in the frame and the parts I cut last winter for the flying geese located and 11 blocks done.
I tried to add a pic but file is too big and I am too dumb to resize it. It is a red and white Irish chain. Good first project for her.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Crackergirl, YOU ARE NOT DUMB!!!! You're just computer challenged like me.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Got most of what I started out to finish done..... two weeks of cold and rain really help motivate me. Ha!

I got a Valentine's day jumper made up for dd's birthday....just need to do the shoulder buttons.

Stuffmart had a lot of fabrics on clearance. I got some really pretty calicoes.... will probably become spring dresses for DD if I don't make me a few nursing tops. Also got some really fun Pink Panther flannel for a nightgown for dd's birthday too.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well, it's our turn for rain - maybe some sleet & snow, too. I guess I need to "help" hubs finish up his closet, and clean up the table I use to cut out fabric... grand-daughter Harper should be here in 6 days at the latest. And I still need to get started!!!!!

No, I've not used my machine in.... 4-5 years. No, I haven't set up a sewing space yet... just piled rolling carts in there and stuffed things in cabinets... and made one "organization" pass.

I sure hope I still work well under pressure! Otherwise, hubs will be hearing some new words, in creative combinations...

LOL...
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 AM

well, I don't know how long it will take my friend to fix mine and my daughter's old sewing machines, so, I found one on craigslist that someone purchased with the intentions of using and couldn't find the time to do so. I am going to get it along with material, scissors, cutting board, and all other accessories for sewing that she had purchased on Sunday. My daughter is dying to start sewing again.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4pintn View Post
well, I don't know how long it will take my friend to fix mine and my daughter's old sewing machines, so, I found one on craigslist that someone purchased with the intentions of using and couldn't find the time to do so. I am going to get it along with material, scissors, cutting board, and all other accessories for sewing that she had purchased on Sunday. My daughter is dying to start sewing again.
There should be a whole society of Moms like you.
Well done Mo4pintn.

Annie
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 AM

I haven't even started any of the things I intended to do. I bought a pound skein of baby blue yarn and a crochet hook to start an afghan for the grandson and guess I left the in DD's vehicle because I can't for the life of me find them. Guess that means I should dig up the green one I'm working on for the 7 year old, maybe I'll get it done by the time she's 8? I also need to decide on a color for one for the now 2 year old. Boy, talk about being behind, that's me.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Got the sewing machine.

Picked up the sewing machine and stuff this morning. GOOD DEAL!!!

Daughter is already cutting out the material to make a baby bath towel. She is learning sooo much. So proud of her. I wish I could take pictures and upload them to share with you, but when I try to upload them, it tells me that the pictures are too big and I don't know how to fix them.

Getting my 2nd daughter's sewing supplies and equipment set up over the next few months (even though she is not that interested yet). I want to have them ready WHEN she takes and interest.

While oldest daugter is sewing, I will continue to try to learn to knit and crochet.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 AM

Default Finally

On pattern number 5, I have a workable pattern that my oldest daughter likes for feminine pads. It still isn't perfect, but she says she can't even feel it on unless she is sitting in a hard chair or slightly when she is walking. I count that a success!!!!!!!

She started trying them this morning when she needed one and has been giving me feedback on what feels right and what doesn't. Need to make several more tonight before going to bed so she has enough and wash the ones she used and then try to get my second daughter to try them eventually. This should save us a lot of money..... Yeah!!!

Next project she says is a "wet bag" to keep in the bathroom so that she can put them in it after wearing and then put them in the washroom in a bucket of water to soak til washtime. Wish me luck because the next major future project she wants to try is for us to make underwear. Whew! I hope we can.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM

I made some bloomers a long time ago, they were really neat. Wore them out. They came almost to my knee (didn't ride up into certain uncomfortable places if you know what I mean). I made them out of a lightweight white ribbed t-shirt material I got an entire bolt of at Wal Mart when they had their $1/yd fabric rack. I made a few pair with elastic waists and legs and a few that had just a drawstring waist and leg that had a cuff with a little drawstring that tied on the side of the cuff. I wore the elastic ones with jeans, and the drawstring ones with dresses or night clothes. Used a pattern but I don't recall if it was Simplicity or Butterick, but it was one of the patterns for making clothing from the Civil War era. Pattern was for bloomers and a chemise and something else, can't recall what, maybe a corset of some kind. I modified it a bit.

Last edited by MollyPitcher; 01-25-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
On pattern number 5, I have a workable pattern that my oldest daughter likes for feminine pads. It still isn't perfect, but she says she can't even feel it on unless she is sitting in a hard chair or slightly when she is walking. I count that a success!!!!!!!

She started trying them this morning when she needed one and has been giving me feedback on what feels right and what doesn't. Need to make several more tonight before going to bed so she has enough and wash the ones she used and then try to get my second daughter to try them eventually. This should save us a lot of money..... Yeah!!!

Next project she says is a "wet bag" to keep in the bathroom so that she can put them in it after wearing and then put them in the washroom in a bucket of water to soak til washtime. Wish me luck because the next major future project she wants to try is for us to make underwear. Whew! I hope we can.
Mother made all our undies.
back then----our flour came in sacks/oats/cornmeal and she would start just before school started.

And yes they were pasted down.
of course she had a wringer washer that clean better then washers today albeit labor intensive.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 PM

That is what my mother-in-law said theirs were made out of. She was telling how they use to save all old rags and use them because they had no pads then.

My daughter wants us to learn to make everything we would ever need. Whew!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
That is what my mother-in-law said theirs were made out of. She was telling how they use to save all old rags and use them because they had no pads then.

My daughter wants us to learn to make everything we would ever need. Whew!!
Maybe if I live long enough-- I will get to meet you folks.
Your daughters bring tears to my eyes.

Mother use to take cast-offs when I was a baby and make my toddler clothes.(WW2)
She used every scrap---rag rugs---etc etc.

She was a seamtress--she could look at a dress in a store window--take newspaper and cut out a pattern.

I struggle abit---but love the feel of fabric and making things.
And I didnt know what a pad was until 1958 when i got them after son was born --hospital sent those FOOT longs home with me LOL.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 AM

I bought sewing scissors today! (OUCH ouch ouch on the pocket book)...but these are wonderful, made in Japan tailor's shears. I was tired of sore hands trying to chew through the old jeans for my sofa recovering project. I should have these for a lifetime (and woe to anyone seen using my scissors! it won't be pretty)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBC View Post
I bought sewing scissors today! (OUCH ouch ouch on the pocket book)...but these are wonderful, made in Japan tailor's shears. I was tired of sore hands trying to chew through the old jeans for my sofa recovering project. I should have these for a lifetime (and woe to anyone seen using my scissors! it won't be pretty)
Karen
Prime sewing scissors are at a premuim.
I have 3 pairs of dress makers--from England--very old I bought at an estate sale.
Problem:Its very difficult to find a qualified sharpener.

Hancocks use to have a fellow that came around--but he has passed on.
So they stay in a box--waiting.

I am with you---whoa be it on anyone taking mine todo anything but cutting material.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Master Pontificator

I finally finished the top of the quilt I am making for my 4 year old. Not a very impressive achievement, since I started it over a year ago! Now I have to do the hand quilting, which I am a bit nervous about because I've never done this before. I tried starting it the other night and the cotton thread I was using just got all snagged up. I suppose I should buy some real quilting thread? I do have the little needles.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM

I think its beautiful---great job.
being nervous must work---looks great to me----you go girlfriend.

Txanne
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 PM

Default Winter Sewing

Not much winter down here in FL with a high today of 72, but I did make new side seams on 3 pair of my panties that were too big and turned some capris into shorts for my daughter.

Tomorrow, I will work on hemming some pants for work. And I rearranged my studio to make room for my canning supplies and I found lots of cloth I had forgotten that I'd bought for dressmaking. Maybe I'll get around to that soon.

*Tracie
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 AM

I like the horse square MotherCharlotte! Nice project.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 AM

Hidingsun, I find forgotten fabric stashes too. I love it when that happens. A while back I found 2 yd. of a fake chamois with a nice spongy fabric backing on it. I don't remember what I bought it for though. It was still in the Hobby Lobby bag.

MotherCharlotte, you did a great job on your daughter's quilt! It's beautiful!