BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

To answer the question about where to get fabric: I've gotten a lot of fabric in the past from Estate Sales....I haven't been to as many lately but I've gotten whole boxes of really nice fabric there, completed quilt squares and even completed quilt tops for next to nothing...
Also we have a radio Swap Shop here and a lot of times folks will put on there that they have fabric to sell....I've gotten some really good deals on nice cotton fabric like that....sometimes people buy things thinking they will use them and just find they don't have the time....I also got a whole bunch of baby quilt panels from one lady who just wanted to give them away...
A lot of times if you let people know that you sew, they will give you fabric! But you have to be careful. I've had people who seemed to want to dump unwanted polyester and things on me....so I specify that I love to have fabric, but it needs to be good quality cotton....
Sometimes when people pass away their family just want somebody who will actually USE the fabric to have it!
And Annie, right now I'm preparing to sew a "sack" baby bunting that Polly mailed me from this forum! I'm adapting the pattern a little so we'll see how it turns out!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM

MotherCharlotte,

I love your quilt. I wish I could quilt. My grandmothers use to but with divorced parents, and all the stuff that went with it, they never took the time to teach me.

Maybe one day my daughters and I can learn together.

Annie,

You are too kind. I hope we do get to meet some day.

My oldest daughter and I went through our fabrics that my mother and mother-in-law had collected over the years (mother-in-law is too sick to do much sewing and my mother is too busy traveling) to do much sewing these days. My mother use to sew for "Just Ducky" and would buy the scraps left over from when they cut out their pattern pieces. Got some cute pieces that I was able to use to make a doll bed mattress and pillow with sheet, pillowcase, dustruffle and cover quilt. I had purchased a doll bed for a little girl we kept from the time she was 8 weeks old and is now in kindergarten. We gave her the bed and bedding for Christmas this year. Didn't know it was one of the things she was asking for for Christmas. She loves it and it thrills me that she likes it so well.

Suzy,

Glad you got the pattern.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM

Almost forgot!!!

My oldest daughter was brave enough to try out the new feminine pads I made. She made suggestions for changes, we made changes. After 5 new versions modified slightly, she has decided she likes version number 2 the best. I am glad she has been brave enough to try these this time around so I can get the pattern right and get lots made up before we need them. Wow, think of the money we will save a month on pads for 2 girls.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Oh Happy DayMy youngest daughter sewed her first thing today. She was so pleased. She had picked out some material to make a baby blanket. It told her I would buy it but that meant that she had to sew. She agreed. Today she sat down and has had a blast. Made two small blankets and a toddler's scarf our of the rest. Way to go Jenna!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I messed up the serger! Forgot a pin in the material and it messed it up. Will have to take it and the other two sewing machines to the shop this weekend. The other man couldn't fix the two sewing machines, he didn't know enough about them.

Have been sewing liners for baskets to put on the back of the toilet. We got some baskets at christmas that had red liners and we needed gray when it wasn't Christmas. Got 2 out of 3 made and the other is cut out ready to sew up.

Been making wipe cloths for the bathroom too. This come in handy when toilet paper is running low and don't have funds for a few days. To tell you the truth, I prefer them to using toilet paper. There is too many chemicals in the good kinds and the other just aren't very good. May have to get one of those small handcrank washing machines to use if we don't have any electricity for these as well as the feminine napkins. Right now I just put the wipe cloths one of those knit bags for washing delicates in. Works great. Puts old towels that are wearing in spots to good use. Saves lots of money too.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM

Default aprons aka canning aprons...

I have been trying to find an old fashioned canning/ kitchen apron. The kind my grandma wore. I think it is called the H strap back. They were popular in the 1930's. I can not seem to find a pattern for it, only pictures. I took H/E in high school, and did not do well in sewing class. I picked a pattern that looked the same whether is was right side or wrong side, messed up the material taking it apart to many times to reverse to the correct side of material. Hated sewing class. And have not done much sewing since. Just sewing buttons onto clothing, darning socks, etc. Have not tried to make anything since.

I would really like to try to make an apron like my grandma. But do not have a pattern to use. I have seem some online, but they are to small. And I have no idea how to enlarge a pattern to fit me (14-16 perhaps 18 for generous fit over clothes).
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post
I have been trying to find an old fashioned canning/ kitchen apron. The kind my grandma wore. I think it is called the H strap back. They were popular in the 1930's. I can not seem to find a pattern for it, only pictures. I took H/E in high school, and did not do well in sewing class. I picked a pattern that looked the same whether is was right side or wrong side, messed up the material taking it apart to many times to reverse to the correct side of material. Hated sewing class. And have not done much sewing since. Just sewing buttons onto clothing, darning socks, etc. Have not tried to make anything since.

I would really like to try to make an apron like my grandma. But do not have a pattern to use. I have seem some online, but they are to small. And I have no idea how to enlarge a pattern to fit me (14-16 perhaps 18 for generous fit over clothes).
Pines
Go to Wm and get into one of the pattern books----they have all Sizes----I know what your talking about--i haven't made one in a long time.
Mine are just waist ties--big pockets--I make them very full---
Gently my dear----
Get the pattern ---lady will help you with amt of material needed--then come back here and we will lead you through it.
You'll need pins--I use silk pins now--they are easier on my old fingers.
A good pair of siss'zers
Do have a sewing machine?

And Patience for Your self.

First press your material.

Oh BTW-----dont buy the craft material--it wont take the wash and wear.
I love a good preshunk muslin---tough.
Ok---?

We'll wait for you ok?
Good luck
annie
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM

Default aprons...

Thank TxAnne for the info...

I will get to W/M this week. I have an old singer sewing machine. It was my MIL's. It is the kind that is in a table, that you swing up.

I will let you know if I find the pattern.

Thanks again.....
Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post

Do you mean this kind of style?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/13081378...+apron+pattern

If so, I found this one in a larger size:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/15135314...+apron+pattern

It seems that vintage apron patterns are a hot item - you can get ones from the 30s and 40s, but they are usually quite expensive.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Vintage Vogue patterns... MIGHT be a source...
I have some of those styles in newer patterns (and bought them before prices went sky-high some time ago...).

http://butterick.mccall.com/search-p...3&submit.y=-58

Yes, these are the current pattern prices... OUCH. I used to think a $6 pattern was expensive... guess I'll hang on to all my old Folk Wear patterns.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM

And if your lucky they have a half price sale and the price is still to high for me.

MotherC--dont you love those Vintage aprons---and I owe you one--haven't forgotten.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM

HI! Mother Charlotte,

The first patten is the one I like, but is only goes to L. That is the problem
I fall between a large and a exlarge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherCharlotte View Post
Do you mean this kind of style?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/13081378...+apron+pattern

If so, I found this one in a larger size:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/15135314...+apron+pattern

It seems that vintage apron patterns are a hot item - you can get ones from the 30s and 40s, but they are usually quite expensive.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Whisperingpines -
(Love your name, by the way!) An apron is the best way to start sewing (even an H-strap) because they're so forgiving, size-wise! Measure across your front to get an idea of how much territory you need to cover - and measure your bust for the total size of the front + straps around.

I've been making things without a pattern since I was a kid - I just sketch it out, measure the bits I need to cover and start cutting on newspapers. With a bit of tape for the "seams" you can get a good idea what is working and what isn't, even trying it on carefully. This method won't work well for fine tailoring, but for an apron, it'll do!

I saw the $65 price tag on that old apron pattern on Etsy and realized I may have a fortune in my pattern box! Woo Hoo! (Except I'm not sure I could give up my pattern stash, even at those crazy prices!)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn View Post
I saw the $65 price tag on that old apron pattern on Etsy and realized I may have a fortune in my pattern box! Woo Hoo! (Except I'm not sure I could give up my pattern stash, even at those crazy prices!)
There is quite a market for old patterns now. Only certain things (like aprons, or evening gowns) fetch high prices, but I've made a nice bit of pocket money over the past few years selling old patterns, from the 30s up to the 80s, on Etsy. Lately I've been buying the patterns at Value Village, but I started up my shop with a bunch of patterns my grandmother and her sister gave me - they are both in their 90s and don't sew so much any more.

I usually sell the patterns for about $5 each so I'm not going to get rich, but it's fun to send these old patterns all over the world to live again.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post

MotherC--dont you love those Vintage aprons---and I owe you one--haven't forgotten.
I *had* forgotten, Annie. Don't worry about it - you have a lot going on right now!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM

I have a Shirley Temple doll dress pattern---very old and it cost 30cts new.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM

Saw a whole bunch of old patterns, the ones sold from newspapers and magazines. They were at a thrift store but I passed them up. Fifty cents apiece, but I am about to move yet again and can't face the idea of running across something I intended to Etsy two years ago!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 PM

Many of our new ladies sew---this is the week for old threads.

I finished 4 aprons for a lady that owns a small cafe(Best shrimp and hush puppies ever.)
She wanted the large healthy)) pockets.

Need to find my old recipe for fire)) proofing them.
Only one will be worn in her kitchen.
(Disclaimer) Its up to her to do that.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 PM

What are silk pins? I use quilt pins that are longer and have a colored end. Got some about 3" pins I use too. Mostly for cutting quilt blocks.

I bought basic sewing patterns at the thrift shops. May never need them. I tossed out a lot of older patterns I knew never would use. I think only sewing will be quilts. I d nee to make this house insulated drapes. have the materials.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
What are silk pins? I use quilt pins that are longer and have a colored end. Got some about 3" pins I use too. Mostly for cutting quilt blocks.

I bought basic sewing patterns at the thrift shops. May never need them. I tossed out a lot of older patterns I knew never would use. I think only sewing will be quilts. I d nee to make this house insulated drapes. have the materials.
Silk pins are very thin pins.

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Silk-Pi...ords=silk+pins
Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post

Colorado---silk pins are a bit longer than regular pins(we are talking about the same pins)--and they are easier for my old fingers to handle----not as long as quilt pins.

I remember someone in a BackWoodHome magazine that did that.(few years back)
They were on a wood burner heating system.
It really kept the cold out and in the summer the heat out--Great idea.