BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Regular pins made my fingers hurt. I was doing a lot of pinning at a time. The little round heads helped me so much.

WM put in a lot quilt material and nothing I would use. Guess a lot use that type . Quilt material store in big city closed last winter, I never bought there as too high. WM put in a bunch of fancy dress material , also. I want to save up when I go for Thanksgiving to older son's and got to the two material store there, There was quilt material store in his town but it went out. It would close up for Thanksgiving. So never got in it.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM

I have seen different quality in different priced batting.
May want to look at that.
( I used an old quilt a few years ago to make a new one)

Its the same with fabrics---depends on how long you want something to last.

Colorado---many of these smaller places go out of business as women sew less and the prices rise to be priced out of folks budgets.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 PM

There are different kinds of batting.

It costs to make a quilt. I never looked at the prices at WM on that new material. Material I bought last fall would average $10 a yard. $300 did not buy all that much material. I even bought the display pieces they had up if out of it. . She would get a ladder and get it down. Very nice. Plan to shop there again.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 AM

I give most of my quilts to kids and grandkids and of course now I need a quilt. Funny thing is I had a certain grouping of fabric in my stash in mind, searched all afternoon, guess what gave the fabric to my daughter who also quilts. So went for another group in my stash civil war type prints. I also have nine blocks from "More Biblical Quilt Blocks" done in same fabrics and a stack of four patch/half square triangle. I'm going to try to incorporate all the blocks into something with something, LOL.
Maybe just do offset log cabin. What to do, what to do?????
Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
I give most of my quilts to kids and grandkids and of course now I need a quilt. Funny thing is I had a certain grouping of fabric in my stash in mind, searched all afternoon, guess what gave the fabric to my daughter who also quilts. So went for another group in my stash civil war type prints. I also have nine blocks from "More Biblical Quilt Blocks" done in same fabrics and a stack of four patch/half square triangle. I'm going to try to incorporate all the blocks into something with something, LOL.
Maybe just do offset log cabin. What to do, what to do?????
You could call that quilt The Wondering Quilt. :
I have done that with my aprons---colored pockets or sashes.
I think thats the fun part of sewing somethings---just go with it.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Default Dusted off

Got the serger out, plan to dust it good, re thread it and get to work. We are hoping to find our 'forever home' (at least here on Earth, the other is assured) this spring and since DH always complains about the amount of sewing goods I have, am trying to use up some of it. Got a skirt and scarf set going for my sissy, next going to work on the wedding quilt top for DD who married first, then a baby quilt for Grand baby 1, then back up and do a rag quilt for DD married second. Got behind when I was working like a maniac with DH.