BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM

Default Hello from Scotland

Hi all, thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself.

I live in a 2 bedroom flat in Scotland's largest city with my Husband and two Son's, who are in their 20's. Hardly a homestead but we can live in hope

We have an allotment and have been growing fruit and veg for 4yrs now.

Over the past few years i've also learned how to make Jams, chutneys, jellies, pickles, cheese, wine, yogurt and butter.

Last night my hubby ordered a pressure canner, jars, lids, accessories and the Ball Blue Book, all for my birthday later this month I have wanted one of these for ages.

Canning isn't very popular over here so we had to have the canner shipped from the US. I can't wait to get started and have been looking up recipes and techniques on the net..... that's how I came across this forum and I had to join, the information and advice here is fantastic.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and bugging you with my noobie questions :P
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Howdy from Texas! Welcome to the board. It'll be interesting to see how things are done across the pond.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome to the the forum!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have as much fun learning from the members here as I do.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Welcome Ananke. What a terrific birthday present!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome Ananke! I wonder why canning isn't popular in the UK?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Hiya! Maybe it's just in the city-setting that canning doesn't seem that popular. I have a friend (on another forum) who's also in the UK, who's canning. If that's what it is, know that this is true here in the US, too. Canning is just starting to catch on with Urban Homesteaders.

Look forward to getting to know you!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Passed On

Welcome Ananke!

It's great to hear from my ancestral homeland! Actually, my folks lived in the border country, so whether they were Scotch or English depended on who won the last fight... Those were the Dodds, Crosiers, and Douglas families. But some came from the Northern Islands, too. My wife is currently researching some of these people.

I hope you really enjoy this site that has been so positive for me. Lots of fine folks here. They share their knowledge, questions and experiences freely and offer their best to help everyone.

We live in southern Indiana near the Ohio River valley, a hilly area similiar in some ways to Scotland, which is probalby why our ancestors settled here. There are lots of small farms, woodlands, small rivers and lakes here that influence our lives. My wife and I grew up in the homesteading life and after a careers in business and industry, we have returned to it.

I hope you realize your dreams and enjoy the journey.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Hello

Welcome, from Tennessee! We look forward to hearing about your canning adventures over there. Are the garden vegetables all harvested by now? Most everything is done growing here that is "can-able", for this year at least. What do you grow on your allotment?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM

Ananke

Welcome from SE Texas.
When you say allotment does that mean a plot to grow things on?

Look forward to you being on the forum.

Txanne
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Hello and welcome from New Hampshire, USA
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM

It's always interesting to hear how things are the same and different on the other side of the Atlantic.

My brother is an artist and spent some time studying in Edinburgh and my maternal grandfather (Cameron) considered himself Scottish (after American, of course).

Would love to visit your beautiful country some day.

How's the self government thing working out for you so far?

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

MotherCharlotte/whitehairedidiot, I think I worded it wrong when I said it isn't popular, canning or bottling as we call it here is popular but pressure canning meats etc isn't. I dare say there must be some people who do but it's not yet popular.

I've spoken to quite a few people on forums who grow their own and would love to pressure can but can't find a supplier here in the UK.

Hi and thankyou patience, I have been researching my family history for a few years too, every line so far, except for one, goes back to Ireland and England, i'm hoping this one line will stay in Scotland. I hope your wife can uncover some good stories Southern Indiana sounds beautiful, very like Scotland without all the rain

Hi tomato204, most vegetables have been harvested here now too, I brought home the last 30/40lbs of turnip/swede (rutabaga?) yesterday but i've read it's probably not a good idea to can them. All thats left there now are some things i've let go to seed for saving, some cabbage and brussels sprouts. I grow about 40+ different vegetables, herbs and fruit, not in massive quantities though........ that would change if I could preserve them better.

Thanks Txanne, yeah, an allotment is a small peice of land, usually rented from the local Council or Parish for growing veg.

Hi Chrisser, Edinburgh is a beautiful city, bet your brother loved it there. We are very hopeful that we will have Independence in 2014, feels like such a long wait though.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Oh and just a wee update...... my pressure canner and jars arrive tomorrow, really excited here!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM

Hello there, 'm down in Yorkshire. I've had my pressure canner a year or two now so have gotten to the point of being fairly confident about it and have found a few UK suppliers of jars at approaching sensible prices
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Hi Tarvae from Yorkshire, lovely part of the world. Where did you get your pressure canner?

I'd be interested in your UK suppliers for jars, I got mine from a UK website (don't know if I'm allowed to say who) the 500ml ones were 1.79 but delivery was 4.99 though unless your order was 75, then it was free.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Default hello

welcome from central Kentucky.

You will love the pressure canner it make it so easy to presserve lots of things that you can't otherwise. I so look forward to seeing post from you. I am also very interested in learning of different cultures, and how they do things.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Thank you rwwoodcock

The canner and jars arrived today, just waiting on the Ball Blue Book and accessories. I'm really excited and can't wait to try it out, I'm a wee bit aprehensive too but i'll get over that.

First on the agenda is Chicken Korma, Pasta Sauce, Soup and Irish Stew (if I can get more lamb at a reduced price)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM

mmmmmmmm..... lamb!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Welcome from the state of Virginia! What a nice birthday present your husband got for you.