BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
Asked my landlord to keep an eye out for a second hand freezer for me, told him I don't want to pay more than $50 for one though, that's about 1/3 the price of a new chest freezer at Sam's Club and I know he'll bring it into the trailer for me.
Just give some thought to the electricity cost - you might be better served with a smaller but brand new freezer versus a bigger but used freezer.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 AM

That is a good point about the power consumption. When we got ours, that was a major factor, especially if you have any sort of back up power plans. As a side note, I would not reccomend freezing any more than you can deal with in other ways, IE canning, or dehydrating, than you can afford to lose. This is why we keep a smaller freezer. Just a rambling thought on a Sunday night.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Living in rural areas can put a kink in access to a choice.

HEB or Wm.
Brookshire Bros(too pricey but close) and Market Basket.
Yep. For us it's Walmart. We have an HEB but it's out of the way and it's the neglected stepchild of the chain -- filthy and unstocked --so I don't even bother.

About once a month we drive into the "big city" and go to Sam's.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Watched the local store ad. Picked up cans of Stagg chili for .34 each. Guess it was a misprint, or something on their end. Not my problem. 45 cans of good chili for $16.20 works for me. Beans are the one place we do need to fill in a hole in the pantry. We will be working on that in the very near future.

It took a bit of time, and thinking ahead, but it is so nice to not have to go to the store for anything, if we don't want to. Buying a few extras here, and there really added up quick. Now we are able to watch the loss leaders, and usually only buy what is on sale.

Good luck to everyone, and plug away at it slow, but sure, and you will have more put away, in a short time than it would seem possible.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM

I wish they'd put canned beans on sale. I still manage to ruin every package of dried beans I try to cook so I decided it's better for me to just buy the canned ones. I'm putting back $100 from what my daughter gave me so I can keep an eye out for sales myself.
As for a freezer I think I'm going to have to save up and get a new one as the landlord said he hasn't seen one worth what the people want for them.
Have my pot roast on in the slow cooker and need to turn it on high so it will get done in time for dinner. Will probably fix myself a piece of garlic toast to go with it. Looks like I'll have 4-6 meals from it, both meat and veggies. I'll eat one, put one in the fridge for lunch tomorrow then put the rest into the freezer, hopefully have 2-4 meals to freeze.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 AM

Might want to check with your electric provider - they may have a rebate or other program for an energy efficient freezer.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Might want to check with your electric provider - they may have a rebate or other program for an energy efficient freezer.
Especially if you are totally electric.

My little house I am getting is all electric---going to talk to them.
They can set you bill at the same amount every month.
They calculate the previous year---

Molly--the old freezers lasted longer--but arent energy efficent.
Its a catch 22 huh?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddustmaker View Post
Watched the local store ad. Picked up cans of Stagg chili for .34 each. Guess it was a misprint, or something on their end. Not my problem. 45 cans of good chili for $16.20 works for me. Beans are the one place we do need to fill in a hole in the pantry. We will be working on that in the very near future.

It took a bit of time, and thinking ahead, but it is so nice to not have to go to the store for anything, if we don't want to. Buying a few extras here, and there really added up quick. Now we are able to watch the loss leaders, and usually only buy what is on sale.

Good luck to everyone, and plug away at it slow, but sure, and you will have more put away, in a short time than it would seem possible.
I love the Stagg chili--cant get it here anymore--WM did carry it.

New house has huge(3) closets--storage at long last.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Annie - do you have a fireplace? Or what are you planning for backup heat?

Also - we cut the "historical" electric bill in half at our house, by changing out all the bulbs to CFLs; I would go LED if they price per bulb would ever come down.

Also - get a GOOD surge suppressor for your electronic stuff. It will be pricey, but worth it, as you can stop any background power usage by turning off 1 switch... and in an electrical storm, only have 1 plug to pull from the wall.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Annie - do you have a fireplace? Or what are you planning for backup heat?

Also - we cut the "historical" electric bill in half at our house, by changing out all the bulbs to CFLs; I would go LED if they price per bulb would ever come down.

Also - get a GOOD surge suppressor for your electronic stuff. It will be pricey, but worth it, as you can stop any background power usage by turning off 1 switch... and in an electrical storm, only have 1 plug to pull from the wall.
Hadnt thought about the surge suppressor--tks for the reminder.

I have my propane heater---and a small genie at my youngest sons in a garage(they can steal it)Not but 5,000 but enough for fans after a hurricane or lights.

I have used this old propane heater so long--i can almost tell you the minute it will use its last propane.

Dont have a fireplace----wouldnt that be the icing on my cake?

Tks for the reminder.

Annie
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 AM

Annie, glad you found a place. I can understand the finally having storage thing. Apparently the Stagg chili was a misprint in their ad. My gain, their loss. Wish I would have bought more. Guess the store is not real happy about it, but they should proof read their own ads.

Waiting for the case lot sale that starts on Tuesday. Hoping to fill in some holes when that happens.

Take care, and good luck to all.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Annie, glad you found a place. I can understand the finally having storage thing. Apparently the Stagg chili was a misprint in their ad. My gain, their loss. Wish I would have bought more. Guess the store is not real happy about it, but they should proof read their own ads.

Waiting for the case lot sale that starts on Tuesday. Hoping to fill in some holes when that happens.

Take care, and good luck to all.
I got in on one of those sales and they look at you like your nuts--huffy also.
But IF they dont want my money----I can go else where.

Yes---I have been concerned about water---now I have a cool place for it and other heat sensitive groceries----it has been scary----being short on things--IN CASE TSHTF.

Good luck to you and thanks

Annie
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I wish they'd put canned beans on sale. I still manage to ruin every package of dried beans I try to cook so I decided it's better for me to just buy the canned ones. I'm putting back $100 from what my daughter gave me so I can keep an eye out for sales myself.
As for a freezer I think I'm going to have to save up and get a new one as the landlord said he hasn't seen one worth what the people want for them.
Have my pot roast on in the slow cooker and need to turn it on high so it will get done in time for dinner. Will probably fix myself a piece of garlic toast to go with it. Looks like I'll have 4-6 meals from it, both meat and veggies. I'll eat one, put one in the fridge for lunch tomorrow then put the rest into the freezer, hopefully have 2-4 meals to freeze.
Just remembered this thread.

Molly try this brand of pintos.
HEB's carries them---Casserole----they are amazing.
Cook quickly and I love the flavor and its hard to ruin them.
They are priced lower than other pintos.
Buy a small sack and try them.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 PM

We used to be able to get Casserole brand refried beans. They could be had for about .44c a can. Never see them anymore. They were good beans. Had a can of pork and beans with dinner tonight. Haven't had those for years. Kind of think I would rather open a can of Ranch Beans though. Doubt the kids would like them.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
We used to be able to get Casserole brand refried beans. They could be had for about .44c a can. Never see them anymore. They were good beans. Had a can of pork and beans with dinner tonight. Haven't had those for years. Kind of think I would rather open a can of Ranch Beans though. Doubt the kids would like them.
And they have the whole bean in cans here----I like them because they have a softer taste.
My palate has changed in my old age.

But I do like this product.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I wish they'd put canned beans on sale. I still manage to ruin every package of dried beans I try to cook so I decided it's better for me to just buy the canned ones.

MYR--I always lightly brown my 'mixings'--ham&onions--
and then just toss it along with a small sack of beans in the crock pot.
Toss in some salt and enough water to cover and once going good turn
it to either low or medium and let it do its thing. Add water to your desired thickness.
I always chunk up a spud or two along with a few baby carrots.
It knows how--ha--so just lightly stir once in a while.
Usually in 3-4 hours its ready. Add some pepper and horse radish and ya got
some good eatin. Might also want a little cornbread & butter on the side.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesquite_Bean View Post
Yep. For us it's Walmart. We have an HEB but it's out of the way and it's the neglected stepchild of the chain -- filthy and unstocked --so I don't even bother.

About once a month we drive into the "big city" and go to Sam's.
For us, in Dallas presently, er make a special trip once a month to Town Talk Foods 121 N Beach Street Fort Worth, Texas 76111. We don't know what's going to be there - but there will be a lot of stuff. The place is an outlet for bankrupt stores, freight refusals and the like. We've been going there for more than 10 years. One time we found whole beef tenderloin at an outrageous price. Bought a couple and had it as steak with eggs almost every morning. It was really luxurious.

just went last Saturday and found the same "everything is lower" of course, but also 5 pound sticks of "Canadian Style Bacon" for $1.99 a pound and an italian salami for $1 per pound. This is why I own a meat slicer, a vacuum bagging machine and 14 cu ft freezer. I like Canadian Style Bacon at $6 to $19 per pound .. I really love it at $1.99 a pound! I also got a 10 pound mountain of chicken thigh meat and a mountain of chicken breastmeat - all boneless and skinless - costing well less than a buck a pound.

I've been defrosting in the refrigerator and tomorrow will be the big canning day. Right there's more than a month of meat protein for us two. Then there's the fancy Canadian Style Bacon, too!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Master Pontificator

We got hit with huge dental bills at the beginning of January. I will finish paying them off in March but March also brings property tax bill so major financial pain. Then I need $1,200+ dental done as soon as dh's is paid off. I've been trying to save on groceries and have spent only $94 for groceries in February and we've been eating good. I've been digging to the bottom of the freezer using up stuff that is getting old so a win/win for us. I will be doing my best to not spend at the grocery store (or anywhere else!) until I can conquer the dental bill mountain.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM

MYELLOWROSE,

we make beans all the time

Let me ask... do you put them in a pot covered with water over night?

I think dry beans HAVE to soak before you cook them...at least in my house.

Dennis G
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to try shopping at a different store in the local chain this month. The one I live by is small so I want to go a little ways away, if my neighbor is willing to take me and see if I like that store better. I've been in it but not in some time and I don't remember much about it.
Do you always shop the same store if it's part of a chain or do you go to whatever one you're near when you're out?
I shop at 2 large grocery stores, and I only go to Wal-mart for certain things (like wheat berries, 25lb bags of flour/sugar)

I get the sales flyer for both stores.
I circle what is on sale, that we eat.
I go through my coupons to see if I can get "extra" off.

I build my 'menu' for the week, based upon what's on sale and what I have coupons for.

I make a list of store 1, with it's coupons.
Shop
Drive to store 2 with my list and coupons
Shop.

Done

I save anywhere from 10-30.00 a week on groceries (usually the big savings is in H&B or paper products.
I also shop on Monday's.
They mark the meat down cheap on Monday's.
It didn't sell over the weekend and they need it to move!! I am more than happy to buy it, wrap it and freeze it for later.