BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Meat rumors?

I read yesterday on MSN.com about meat inspectors having to be furloughed due to the sequestration. (I have another word for it, but I'll probably be bleeped)
The details I gleaned from the article was
- the furloughs could last up to 15 days.
Grocery stores have about an 8 day supply of meat products in the supply chain.
-federal law prohibits transportation and sale of meat without inspection.
I have two questions:
1.) Is this REALLY an issue, or just a scare tactic?
2.) Is US meat REALLY all inspected prior to sale? Somehow, that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
MYELLOWROSE,

we make beans all the time

Let me ask... do you put them in a pot covered with water over night?

I think dry beans HAVE to soak before you cook them...at least in my house.

Dennis G
I do that.
Rinse them well.

Cover in water--bring to a boil--turn off the heat and leave them for about an hour.

There are some pintos that NEED to soak over-nite---it takes an act of Congress to cook them--like babysitting a newborn.

Txanne
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdyDo View Post
I read yesterday on MSN.com about meat inspectors having to be furloughed due to the sequestration. (I have another word for it, but I'll probably be bleeped)
The details I gleaned from the article was
- the furloughs could last up to 15 days.
Grocery stores have about an 8 day supply of meat products in the supply chain.
-federal law prohibits transportation and sale of meat without inspection.
I have two questions:
1.) Is this REALLY an issue, or just a scare tactic?
2.) Is US meat REALLY all inspected prior to sale? Somehow, that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
HowdyDo

Scare tactics--really.
They drag their feet inspecting anyway.
Hence--this will be a chance for we preppers to strut our stuff.
No the meat isnt inspected before sales.
Wm meat magrs. go through and 960's scan the out-of-date codes and its rushed to the sales floor.
We have store chain here that puts the out of date meat in an end counter---BUT I never ever buy the pork--oh nooooo.
At times they will have round steak half price.

Annie
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Howdydo...

the Prez has the power to decide WHAT is cut or not... or he could delegate that to the various agencies, too. His comments are simply those of a two year old who wanted to go out & play in the snow... and then he started whining about how cold & wet he is.

Careful what you wish for -- you might get it.

Will he follow through with cutting what is essential -- instead of the extra fluff stuff they spend money on? OH YEAH... I'm sure it'll be more about "revenge" about not getting his own way. It'll be the tantrum stage of the typical 2 yr old. NOTHING but making everyone else uncomfortable will satisfy him.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Howdydo...

the Prez has the power to decide WHAT is cut or not... or he could delegate that to the various agencies, too. His comments are simply those of a two year old who wanted to go out & play in the snow... and then he started whining about how cold & wet he is.

Careful what you wish for -- you might get it.

Will he follow through with cutting what is essential -- instead of the extra fluff stuff they spend money on? OH YEAH... I'm sure it'll be more about "revenge" about not getting his own way. It'll be the tantrum stage of the typical 2 yr old. NOTHING but making everyone else uncomfortable will satisfy him.
WHI

It'll only affect about 3% of the federal budget.
Scare tactics-----thats all----he's trying to make ya think we'll all be sucking our thumbs Saturday.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 AM

If anyone is going to be shopping the spring "case lot" sales in your area, make sure you check your prices. We have 2 stores within 20 miles of each other, carying the same store brands, but the prices varied 3 to 5 bucks per case between them. Maybe it would have averaged out, but since we had to head that way anyhow, we saved quite a few bucks by comparing the ads side by side. Things may, or may not be the same in your area, but we were shocked at the difference in prices. Anything that helps stretch the grocery budget helps us. Hope this may help at least one person. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 PM

I'm still working on stocking my pantry so I bought only non-perishables today at the store and used coupons on most of those items. I saved over $10 total doing this, including getting 4 cans of Green Giant green beans for free, that was $3.44 on them as they are kinda high to my way of thinking. This meant each of the 8 items I got, 4 boxes of flavored mashed potatoes and 4 cans of green beans, was only $0.625 each, lower than the actual price of the green beans themselves so I think I did good. I got 4 more of the 12 oz. cans of StarKist chunk light tuna in water, giving me 6 cans total, and I've still got coupons left so I can buy more, I want at least 12 cans total while they are on for this price. I intend to use them to make tuna salad or to add a can to macaroni salad to turn it into a full meal.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Wow! I have just joined up and have been catching up on some of the sites. So, I thought I would put in my two cents worth too. Whenever I stock on things, I also make sure to add the toiletries to my list. You know, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc. I only do my shopping once a month in the "Big" town. If I run out of something, like milk, I go to our little store in our wee little town. Why drive 70 miles round trip to buy milk, right?! We have a place here in Oregon called "Grocery Outlet". They have discontinued items and such. I have gotten a lot of good deals from them. I also shop at our dollar store to buy birthday and whatever type of cards. Needless to say I have learned to stretch the pennies. I rarely buy junk food, instead I make any kind of dessert that we may want. Also home can a lot of my own soups, sauces and whatever I can dream up to can. I do buy the "cream of ...." soups and different pastas. Well, that's my two or should I say five cent's worth.
Thanks for letting me ramble on
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmama View Post
Wow! I have just joined up and have been catching up on some of the sites. So, I thought I would put in my two cents worth too. Whenever I stock on things, I also make sure to add the toiletries to my list. You know, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc. I only do my shopping once a month in the "Big" town. If I run out of something, like milk, I go to our little store in our wee little town. Why drive 70 miles round trip to buy milk, right?! We have a place here in Oregon called "Grocery Outlet". They have discontinued items and such. I have gotten a lot of good deals from them. I also shop at our dollar store to buy birthday and whatever type of cards. Needless to say I have learned to stretch the pennies. I rarely buy junk food, instead I make any kind of dessert that we may want. Also home can a lot of my own soups, sauces and whatever I can dream up to can. I do buy the "cream of ...." soups and different pastas. Well, that's my two or should I say five cent's worth.
Thanks for letting me ramble on
That 70 mile round trip for milk reminded me---until we got our Dollar store it was a 35-40 mile round trip.
And I can get Oak Farm milk for $4.05 a gallon.
My son and I split the meat bill for the month--38.21 for the 2 of us.

I cant stand store bought goodies so I am always making peanut butter cookies--just made a cho.bunt cake--for the week.
He carries a lunch so left-overs are taken care of--
Pinching those pennies feels good huh?

Oh btw----good to have you.
annie
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 PM

Holy crap Anne, milk is $4.05 a gallon?? The highest I've seen it here is $3.00 a gallon.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Holy crap Anne, milk is $4.05 a gallon?? The highest I've seen it here is $3.00 a gallon.
At the major groceries its right at 5.00 a gallon.
yes--it has really jumped up.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Wow! $4 for a gallon of milk! It's $3.00 here.
Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here. Learning all kinds of things. It is also keeping me inspired to do things and not to get too discouraged.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
At the major groceries its right at 5.00 a gallon.
yes--it has really jumped up.
How much is butter and cheese (ya know, American, mozzarella, cheddar)?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
How much is butter and cheese (ya know, American, mozzarella, cheddar)?
Pound of HEB is about $2.58.
Land O Lakes is about $3.98 a lb.
And I dont buy much cheese.

Parkay margerine jumped from 1.00 a lb to $1.85 a lb.

But I got 15 lbs of taters for 3.99--there for awhile they were very expensive.

Now Shortneing is very high---Crisco is about 6.00 for 3lbs.
I use it for baking.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Offered my daughter my coupon for a free gallon of milk but she said no thanks, they're doing okay so I'll pick one up tomorrow when she can bring me home quickly with it. My last two trips to the store didn't give me any catalina coupons much to my regret. mountainmomma I need to remember to stock up on those items also. Even though there's only one of me I need to remember things like that. I bought a new set of measuring spoons at Walmart yesterday as they have one for 1/16 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon, each spoon is double ended which I also like. Since I just saw a recipe I want to try that I would need it for I grabbed it, I've never seen them before, they're Farberware and I paid $3.97 for them which is more than I usually pay but not all that bad to my way of thinking.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:10 AM

Butter (grocery store, not straight from the dairy) $1.49. Milk at Walgreen's (with card) $2.29 per gallon. We typically make at least a couple of trips to the dairy. Take the coolers and stock up.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 AM

I got 3 more excellent Catalina coupons at HEB yesterday. One for $3 off my next produce purchase, on for a free 16oz. roll of ground chuck, and the third for a free bag of HEB chips. I'm looking forward to using them. I've used almost half of that free gallon of milk and was happy to get it for free believe me as I eat a lot of cold cereal at night when it's too hot to cook.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
That 70 mile round trip for milk reminded me---until we got our Dollar store it was a 35-40 mile round trip.
And I can get Oak Farm milk for $4.05 a gallon.
My son and I split the meat bill for the month--38.21 for the 2 of us.

I cant stand store bought goodies so I am always making peanut butter cookies--just made a cho.bunt cake--for the week.
He carries a lunch so left-overs are taken care of--
Pinching those pennies feels good huh?

Oh btw----good to have you.
annie
Holy crap is right! We are just under $3/gallon here. But we've suddenly developed a taste for organic milk. Only Safeway has that around here @ $5/gallon. That is ok, since it is just the two of us and the gallon will last two weeks. Anytime after the expiration date, I just make that quick cheese recipe from BHM last year (milk and vinegar).
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM

When did hand cream go up to $10 a tube or bottle?

It's been probably a year since I've needed to buy some and WOW. Cheapest I've seen sunscreen has been $8 or 2/$11. Those of us who work outside in the summer, gotta have sunscreen - or cover up. Can't wait to see how much bug spray is this year...

guess what I'll be stocking up on?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdyDo View Post
Holy crap is right! We are just under $3/gallon here. But we've suddenly developed a taste for organic milk. Only Safeway has that around here @ $5/gallon. That is ok, since it is just the two of us and the gallon will last two weeks. Anytime after the expiration date, I just make that quick cheese recipe from BHM last year (milk and vinegar).
I too have wondered why the price of milk is so high.
My take??When you have those cards to buy milk on the Tax-payers dime--the working
consumers pay the price.

Milk,cheese and butter are very high here.