BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

How much are your strawberries?

Friend is hanging out with me this weekend from "home"... she's paying $4/lb up there. Ours are $3.69, I think was what I paid. It's been so cool most everywhere - I figure that had something to do with it.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
How much are your strawberries?

Friend is hanging out with me this weekend from "home"... she's paying $4/lb up there. Ours are $3.69, I think was what I paid. It's been so cool most everywhere - I figure that had something to do with it.
WHI
$4.00 a lb here.
And they are big and tasteless. Grainy.
I remember smaller ones that were delicious.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM

Bigger is not always better.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 PM

Best get a firm grip on something. I heard today that the Chinese just purchased the hog processing division from armor, the meat processing folks. I can't imagine this turning out well for the USA. Beef is already up around here, pork is going up on a daily basis. I don't really care about the prices because we raise our own. My concern is the thieves are getting bolder. We had a horse stolen a year ago during a snow storm. Turned out to be a family moving through the area. Livestock will be at risk I feel.

My concern is we are just now seeing what is to come.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 AM

Smithfield is now China owned - Brazil and Argentina passed laws limiting how much arable land can be owned by non-residents (China is buying farmland too). They paid a honking premium for Smithfield, the CEO et al are walking away with millions. Then again after seeing a ton of Chinese tourists (and reading about them), China is going to self-destruct between male children who are coddled and will face a shortage of women AND will be in poor health due to chugging super-sized Coca-Colas and eating fast food. The end justifies the means.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:19 PM

Potatoes are $1.99 for 10 lbs. Now thats a buy here at Brookshire Bros.
They have been almost $6.00---I got 2 bags---
Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM

The store here in town has senior discount on Weds. I get a gallon of milk then. $2.63 with tax. Other wise it is $2.99 plus like .12 in tax. The food tax they have in this town I conside part of the price. Big city no tax on food and Vernal has tax. Either one takes a lot of gas to go too. I just buy milk and egg here now. Senior bus goes to both cities once a month and I get food then and vitamins. But on bus I end up buying lunch.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM

There is no sales tax on groceries in Texas.
Fast food yes.(Mackie D's etc.

Thrifty Groceries in Dayton have a seniors day also.
Wednesdays.
Havent made it over there yet.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM

I did no shopping yesterday as just at house packing. Last time in Vernal , I think I am fairly stocked. Heck of bill but did get few vitamins on it. On this diet there are things I can not eat. I am all in from cleaning on the attic and packing. I am going to have to be really frugal for awhile. All bills got paid.

You think China can cut its population that way?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I did no shopping yesterday as just at house packing. Last time in Vernal , I think I am fairly stocked. Heck of bill but did get few vitamins on it. On this diet there are things I can not eat. I am all in from cleaning on the attic and packing. I am going to have to be really frugal for awhile. All bills got paid.

You think China can cut its population that way?
Thats a thought--they already force abortions on women.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 AM

Apples at the orchard are from 30 to 50 cents a pound. I made an applecrisp yesterday. You are kidding, right? You are not paying 4 bucks for a pound of strawberries this time of year.

Last edited by bookwormom; 10-19-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and have got a lot of good ideas. Last year potatoes around here got down to $.99 cents for 10 lb and every time we went to town (once a week) we picked up a couple of bags and canned them. We canned about 60 lb before the price went back up and it was nice to walk past and just look at the $4.00 a bag potatoes. I'm diabetic so we don't use a great many, but have several cans on the shelf. We go to Aldi's a lot and Save-A-Lot some. We buy a lot of our pork from a processing plant about 15 miles from the house. They have EXCELLENT sausage for $1.50 a lb and good bacon for $3.30, which is about $1.00 a lb less than the grocery stores sell it for. Plus, it is fresher. There are a couple of BIG hog confinement buildings about a mile from the plant and I'm sure that helps reduce the cost (transportation, etc.) We had two very productive apple trees this year and we have canned 62 quart of apples and 12 pint of apple butter and have made at least 12 pies to give to neighbors. The apple trees saved us quite a bit of money! My daughter got into couponing a few years ago and she did save some money, but my wife and I aren't that picky and usually buy generic stuff and save money over the coupon price.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 AM

Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 AM

Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 PM

ArmSgt. thanks for this post and your previous one. They are both extremely helpful, I'd love to have this chart in a poster to tack up on my kitchen wall. aring that I'm going to print it out and tack it up inside the door of one of my kitchen cabinets so I can always refer to it. In fact I'll do the same with both of these posts. I've been eating out of my pantry for a couple of months, buying a few things off and on that I know I will use in the future as I've still got things in my pantry that I don't think I'll ever use, instead I intend to donate them where I do my volunteer work as I'm sure someone will want them.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
ArmSgt. thanks for this post and your previous one. They are both extremely helpful, I'd love to have this chart in a poster to tack up on my kitchen wall. aring that I'm going to print it out and tack it up inside the door of one of my kitchen cabinets so I can always refer to it. In fact I'll do the same with both of these posts. I've been eating out of my pantry for a couple of months, buying a few things off and on that I know I will use in the future as I've still got things in my pantry that I don't think I'll ever use, instead I intend to donate them where I do my volunteer work as I'm sure someone will want them.
I you copy them onto a thumbdrive, you can take them to Kinko's or a FedEx printing center and have them printed on a large format printer in color. Then you can have them laminated like a poster or take them to a hobby store like Micheals or Hobby Lobby and have them framed.

I plan to print them at a copy center then have them framed for myself.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Those are great Sarge!
I can never seem to think of anything to cook "that sounds good" and tend to eat the same boring stuff over & over - reinforcing the dullness factor in how I think of food. (Yes... I have a cupboard full of fun, ethnic, interesting cookbooks too. But my brain doesn't work that way - I have to know what I want first; then ingredients/shopping list... and by then, it's an hour past dinner time!! LOL.)

The second one, I already pretty much know when things are in season - and how far I can stretch a season with mulch, cold frames, etc. But it's surprising to discover how many folks don't know - simply because the stores have shipped in everything all year round. That said: anyone else notice that bananas are $.60/lb... all the time? That the price doesn't come down anymore when they're in season??
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
That said: anyone else notice that bananas are $.60/lb... all the time? That the price doesn't come down anymore when they're in season??
Not that high here - the highest I've seen them is $.49/lb. Prices vary a lot depending on where you live.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Bananas .58 is on sale and I think more like .70 other times. I have not paid too much attention, till I started getting a few for cookies. Organic bananas are higher. Things are higher here I know.

Like chicken in 10# bag at .79 a pound. Leg qtrs that is. Cheapest I saw. I like the dark meat the best.

I need to have shopping list ready for Thursday. What little on it will add up. I replace as I use up things. I eat a lot of same stuff. I have not hit a cheese sale. I buy a piece and not slices. I think the last piece was 2#. Other wise I just use Veleeta or Kroger's brand. I like real cheese better.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Not that high here - the highest I've seen them is $.49/lb. Prices vary a lot depending on where you live.
Make that $.50/lb.