BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Bananas were .53 yesterday and that was down.

I Stocked a couple big boxes of potato flakes. I will probably buy a bag of potatoes for Xmas dinner. Get a turkey before Thanksgiving and put in freezer for Xmas. Cheapest price then. Anything else needed while there. I have stocked on baking stuff. I need to practise on oil made pie crust. So I can eat with out a problem. I got cheese yeserday #2. I use the boxed potatoes for mashed but I use for soup. Not bad tasting to me. Hot and filling. Be better yet with a little ham scrap I am sure. Cook with what I have. If I run short of fresh milk I use powdered. Use it in cooking and baking. I stocked some extra cinnamon chips for cookies as I doubt can get later on. I know luxury really but I bake cookies as better and I can eat. I need check the raisan supply as I use in cinnamon rolls. Got oil as buy by gallon and got flour and sugar. I think pantry is in pretty good shape other than Xmas dinner. Now good time to cook and bake. Also warms the house. I do have the house heat on. I will stock up some sweet potatoes if on sale. They seem to go on sale for Thanksgiving and seems stuff is much higher at Xmas.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Since I drive by Aldi everyday on my way out of town, I do a lit of buying.
Bananas were 29 a pound today .
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 PM

you just can't beat ALDI. I go to town every two weeks or so, so I miss some bargains. I stopped at a salvage store the other day, since I wanted to get a pair of boots across the street. 100% juice for 1.50. Blueberry and cranberry. Cranberry sauce for 75 cents a can, whole berries. I am waiting for ALDI to get cranberries, putting up a few jars is easy as pie and I can cut the sugar way back.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
you just can't beat ALDI.
you got that right 100%
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Goodness MF I haven't seen bananas at that price for ages, they've been stuck at 48cents a pound here for over a year. Went to Walmart today to just waste some time and I noticed that Libby's veggies have gone up to 65cents a can, in the regular aisle, but in the front to back aisle between the food and the clothing I saw them in 6 packs for $3 which means they are 50cents a can. If they still have them mid month, and I'm guessing they will because of Thanksgiving, I'm picking up a couple of dozen cans to add to my food storage. HEB has a coupon for $1 off two 16oz. boxes of Riceland Extra long grain rice that sell for 75cents a box so I can get 2#'s of rice for $1 and that's less than I'd spend on one 2# bag. I'm thinking of getting 4 boxes and pouring them into an empty coffee container that I have so they'll store better, at least for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:00 AM

I don't shop at Aldi - better selection/product within a closer drive. And prices within a closer drive are competitive - price of bananas aren't enough to lure me there.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Kids invited me to go with them Friday to the big city to shop. Some big bottles of some vitamins at Sams and some trash bags and big roll of plastic wrap, I guess will be it. Could be 6 months or more before they take me again. Not sure worth the cost to go with them . $50 at least for the trip I figure. I need to go to the bank.
Son said okay. SS puts it in and I have to draw it out.

I have the bus schedule now for Nov. Inless the bus driver or bus has a problem that is when it will run. Been getting things each time. Dr last winter didnot want me out on the roads in winter.

Sam's has big bottles of vitamins and only place I know to have them. Common stuff. I hope it is cutting the vitamin bill down. I have to got through my box and make sure what I have. I have been running a list, adding and marking off and add to my buying list. Walmart does not have the stuff Sam's does it seems. I want to have enough to get throught the winter. I could get prescriptions cheaper down there but getting there to do it when needed. No drug stores here and just the hospital pharmacy. My daughter said they tried the mail order and it did not work for them. This Pharamacy was on the Ins list of places to buy.

I know some of this is not grocery shopping it has to be done when you go in. Some vitamins I take can only be gotten a a vitamin store. Bus will stop in big city at Vitamin Cottage. Use to be too high for me to buy there.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 AM

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM

I would have liked to get more canning done this past summer but with hubby gone a good chunk of it for work that kinda hurt on the canning front. He did get put on the list as a hunter for the farm behind us. Farmer has a nuisance license for crop damage so that will help in the meat dept since he'll be able to hunt year round now and not just hunting season. I'll take it since he has a lot of trips this year for work during hunting season. For one buck in the freezer but we need 2-3 more to get to next hunting season without running out of meat.

We're fortunate to live close to Amish and buy most of our fruits/veggies from them at Farmer's markets, get our turkeys, chickens and eggs from them, we think we've found one to get pork from so we're about set. Prefer to give them our business and know I'm not getting GMO crap, animals pumped full of hormones and junk. I like knowing where my good came from.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM

We only have two grocery stores - Food Lion, Harris Teeter (bought recently by Kroger) and of course, our Walmart expanded their groceries. It's twelve miles to our favorite farm stand... and the "big city" with all the big box stores is 90 miles one way. (So far, almost 4 years now - we haven't needed anything that badly to make that drive.)

We DO however, have automatic shipments of pet food and paper products from Amazon set up. With the Prime subscription, we don't pay shipping - or if it's unusually heavy, a reduced shipping charge. Amazon, I think, is the next Walmart - only it comes to your door.

I think the Food Lion/Harris Teeters are trying to survive Walmart by bringing in local produce, too. It's featured in their produce sections - probably more so than the organic stuff is.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Nice charts Army Sgt.

Especially the freezer charts.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Master Pontificator

On another forum someone posted an Aldis coupon for $10 off on $40 purchase. I was lucky enough to print one for myself plus two for friends before it disappeared. I'm planning to use it tomorrow and use that $10 for a ham. I'd like to buy a couple hams and freeze one, but my freezer is full...a good problem to have!! I have to drive 25 miles for shopping but once I get there we have Fareway, HyVee, Walmart and Aldis within a couple blocks of each other. Aldis prices are usually better than sales prices elsewhere. For instance, butter is $1.69 at Aldis and on sale $2.50 elsewhere.

My usual practice is to go thru the Wed. newspaper ads and make my list. I do my Aldis list first then the other stores specials are listed separately. I use the back of a #10 envelope (free from junk mail) and divide it into sections one for each store I plan to shop at. Any coupons go inside the envelope. Receipts go back into the envelope so its easy to keep track of spending.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day trying to get thru my entire list of errands and shopping. Dh's doctor appointment, then library, library book sale, deliver $10 coupons to friends at office and pick up paycheck, pick up RX, then Menards, Walmart, Aldis and Fareway. If I have any steam left I'd like to look at patterns (99 for McCalls) at Hobby Lobby. To save running to several stores I price match Walmart/Fareway/HyVee ads at whichever store I have to go to. I want to buy M&M's for Christmas (containers bought on sale after Christmas last year) and will price match at Walmart from K-Mart ad. We don't have a K-Mart within 50 miles but they still will match prices since ad comes out in the local paper.

Dh isn't doing well so will likely wait in the car for me at most of my stops. That actually helps as I can zip around quickly if I don't have to wait for him. Of course, if he does go in we can use the handicapped parking which can be a plus especially in bad weather. We never use handicapped unless he's getting out.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 PM

Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 PM

Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 AM

A Sgt,
Good knives really a make a diference. My older son I got him a good chef's knife. What he wanted. I have learned to use one. Makes fast work of things. Bread knife if you bake is well worth it. Got the Chinese clevers too. I think I have pretty well set up kitchen. I want to learn to bake more kinds of bread. I tried thepretzel bun at Wendy's last week. Good ad I looked up the recipe and have not tried. Odd as boiled first then baked. Looksof new things to learnand try.

Shrimp though I buy to make paella and that is a rice dish. Some of these ethnic dishes economial to make and good. I have some good cookbooks. With diet I am having to learn new things and new ways. Transfer recipes to canola oil.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM

I finished up food shopping for Xmas dinner last week. Done no Xmas shoping though. Next week senior bus will go to big city. I have eye Dr appt for check up. Bus will go to Walmart. I am not out of anything. Just need bread for dressing . I can bake. Hopefully I am set for the winter.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Colorado
I posted a recipe for rice salad in the recipe section, easy to prepare and fairly inexpensive to make.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks, never though of rice salad. Be great in hot weather. I always have rice on hand. I can use rice recipes. I need to eat more grains. My son cooked quinnoa and it was good. I need to find some where to buy it. I think Vitamin Cottage in the big city.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Thanks, never though of rice salad. Be great in hot weather. I always have rice on hand. I can use rice recipes. I need to eat more grains. My son cooked quinnoa and it was good. I need to find some where to buy it. I think Vitamin Cottage in the big city.
Costco in Rifle, Safeway carries it too.

Quinoa..... Kee-Noah.

A grain once cultivated in the fields around Rome.