BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Default Florence, Canon City, Colorado

Any one of you familiar or live near these couple of towns in Colorado? The more I read about it on the internet, the more I like it. It is so far where I want to do my final Homestead.

Would really love to hear from locals to learn what fruit and nut trees grow well, berries, flowers, etc. As well as local laws, permits, etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM

I lived in Canon City 7 years before moving to Oklahoma. Before that I had lived in Pueblo many many years.

The land around canon can vary quite a little bit. Some places have a lot of alkali and wont grow much. Another thing parts of Canon City are on a flood plain. Lots of water restrictions there. Irrigation rights are a big plus. It's a state where even collecting rain water is illegal. There is some fertile ground available but it's at a premium.

Lots of BLM land close by. At the base of the Rocky Mountains so plenty to do. The Arkansas river runs through town so decent fishing is near.

It's known as the banana belt regarding climate.

Most orchards I saw there were apple. In the town of Penrose just west of there are some orchards. Rattlesnakes to lots of them.

If you have to drill a well get ready to go deep. That includes in your pocket.

In some areas even putting in septics require blasting.

Last ya need a permit for everything

I left there over 13 years ago. I'm sure some things have changed, while others wont ever change.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Thank you so much for your welcomed information. What I like the most is that the temperatures are not so extreme. Cool summers and not so freezing winters. From your information, perhaps is better to live where there is already hookups for city water and sewer. Is more expensive but may be cheaper in the long run. Also high speed internet since I spend so much time online.

Please keep the information coming to anyone who also has experiences in the subject areas.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

They both host large Federal Prisons. The local population is made of Jailers or the families of those in prison.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM

That is right Armysgt. I did read about it when first looking for information.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Pueblo and to some extent Canon City is heavily democrat and very unionized. Pueblo has a union for nearly anything.

Want a job? Join a Union. Wait in line, as someone else will have seniority.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Lol, thanks, but no thanks. My working days are over. I have been retired for 7 years now. All I want is peace. Not much into politics either. I would listen to local law makers, etc and will strictly obey the law, but just want to live the rest of my life as peacefully as possible. Don't mind a bit of fun such as visiting the area's points of interests, etc.

Love gardening, fruit and nut trees, landscaping my property the natural way. May visit a fishing hole here and there. Don't hunt at all anymore. My knees will not take much hill walking chasing game. I do love watching the animals from my windows. Have my chickens etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM

When I left there, there were 13 prisons. Including The Fed, over in Florence. Several of the prisons are prison within a prison at the state complex.

One thing to keep in mind is they are recently passing some absolutely stupid gun laws. Things are changing rapidly so instead of trying to explain & be off on some part. It deserves further research if that is important to you.

From about mid Jan to mid Feb is the coldest. I've seen it many times @ -25F for days on end. I've also seen many 70F days in Jan.

Other than the penal system it was known as a retirement or tourist community. So commuting to either Colorado Springs or Pueblo is an option if you have to work.

While I was there, I traded horses & raised horses. I sold hundreds there. Including to the BLM & Forest Service.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM

I am aware of them prisons and also the gun laws that may change or whatever. That is no problem with me. I am a Christian and know that it does not matter where you are in life, being with Christ is the only way to be.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 AM

Try further south Salida, Westcliffe, Alamosa, Trinidad.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 AM

Armysgt, those places seem to be colder in winters. he he. I don't want extreme temps. Florence and the nearby area seem to be cooler in the summer and warmer in winters.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitohead View Post
Armysgt, those places seem to be colder in winters. he he. I don't want extreme temps. Florence and the nearby area seem to be cooler in the summer and warmer in winters.
The San Luis Valley acts like a bucket and holds cold air. It is level agricultural land and Almosa supports fish farming plus an alligator farm.

You realize this is Colorado and your coming up to 5K, 6k, and 7K feet above sea level just living on the plains and in the foot hills.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 AM

Thanks sarge. lol. You have given me a great gift. After doing some browsing and looking for information, I guess that I should just get me a small camper and spend a couple of months in the San Luis Valley. I even decided to order the Drives of a Liftetime book. I have not done any driving and camping since the 1970s when I had a motor home. Now that is going to be just me, I guess a popup will do just fine for me. This way I can really decide where is that last stop in my life.

Blessings
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 AM

My parents lived in Florence for 8 years (I lived with my family in Colorado Springs), where my dad was the pastor of a small church directly across Main Street from what was then a new Hardee's.

I liked Florence and Canon City, but I didn't find them relatively warm in the winter or relatively cool in the summer. In fact, Florence usually got more snow than Colorado Springs, and summer temps there often topped 100 degrees (upper 80s in the Springs).

But if you are seriously interested in that area, I suggest checking out WETMORE, which is about 11 miles across the valley south of Florence, on the other side of Supermax. It gets good rain, it's nicely treed and many of the people there have gardens; so the soil is better for growing things than down in Florence.

Wetmore is also at the foot of the mountains, so there are thousands of square miles of forest to the south and west of it.

But there are only a couple of businesses there. You'd have to go to Florence for shopping, and Canon City or Pueblo for serious shopping.

Go to Google Maps and check out the street level views. I'd have moved to Wetmore if Texas hadn't had such a strong pull on me back in the late 1990s
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Well DLC, the place you mention (WETMORE) seems to be in a ghost county. About 4k residents in the whole county. Is there any reason for this?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitohead View Post
Well DLC, the place you mention (WETMORE) seems to be in a ghost county. About 4k residents in the whole county. Is there any reason for this?
It's very close to thousands of square miles of mostly empty Colorado high country. Not much up there but ranches. In fact, Michael Martin Murphey has a big ranch about fifteen miles from Wetmore, where he lives when he's not playing concerts or doing TV shows. But that is what the residents like about the place. It's a quick and easy drive to large towns along well-maintained and frequently plowed roads, but it's a nice, quiet place to live close - very close in many cases - to nature. The trout fishing in the creeks that run through the town is always good, and deer, antelope and eagles are common sights.

Being in the foothills, it gets snow earlier and later in the year, but the same foothills protect it from the deep snows that pile up in the valley.

Cool place.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Wow, so there are some important persons in the area. Well, well.

I do a lot of research and look at the properties they have for sale and I see areas were there are no trees. Others have lots of pines, etc. But none of the properties states if they have any nuts or fruit trees. Seems to be that land is not very fertile for those trees or people just don't care about planting them.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM

You'd have to contact one of the nurseries in the Canon City area to find out what kind of fruit and nut trees grow best on the south side of that valley. I've seen apple and cherry trees over there, but not orchards of them.

There are some big apple orchards on the north edge of the valley, especially around Canon City and Penrose. But they're a couple hundred feet lower in altitude than Wetmore. Still, I've seen fruit trees at higher altitudes in Colorado, so I don't know why they wouldn't grow around the Wetmore area.

I can't say how accurate it is, but I've been told that if you find cottonwood trees growing in an area, just about any other deciduous tree will grow in the same area. And there are definitely cottonwoods around Wetmore. A nursery can confirm or deny that, too.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM

You might do a little research on Rye, Colorado, just south of Pueblo. Before I moved to Alma I looked at a quarter section straight east of Rye. Colorado is becoming much more like California (I used to have a "Don't Californicate Colorado" bumper sticker on my truck. It didn't work.) Good Luck. Oh, you might also be interested in New Mexico, there's an area around the Lincoln Nat'l Forest that's very nice. Can't remember town names and too lazy to look, but Ruidoso might get you started. The area is South and East of Albuquerque on a high plateau; nice pine forests, not too mountainous but not flat. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter, but maybe too many tourists. Alamogordo might be the closest "city", but a lot of small towns in the area. Oh, and Smokey The Bear was found there...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 AM

Thanks, I got to check it out. I rather keep my search in Colorado and where is not so much of elevation. The higher you get the colder it gets and my arthritis really bothers me.