BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Master Pontificator

Default what is your take on this?

Yesterday my ten year old daughter brought home a letter asking questions about her home life. How much tv does she watch, what does she watch, does she play video games, does she own a cell phone and how much time does she talk on it, does she text and how late at night does she text, and there were other questions about home life.

I told my daughter this is none of the school's business, but she explained that her teacher said if this letter was not filled out and returned every student in this class would fail.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Yesterday my ten year old daughter brought home a letter asking questions about her home life. How much tv does she watch, what does she watch, does she play video games, does she own a cell phone and how much time does she talk on it, does she text and how late at night does she text, and there were other questions about home life.

I told my daughter this is none of the school's business, but she explained that her teacher said if this letter was not filled out and returned every student in this class would fail.
Thanks
This sounds like a time for phone calls for the principal and the school board and perhaps the local news station. That information has absolutely nothing to do with education and the idea that the teacher would fail an entire class shows that the teacher shouldn't be a teacher.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Exclamation

I would proceed to answer every question with your answer; "None of your business". That IS an answer.

Ditto what ScrubbieLady said.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
I would proceed to answer every question with your answer; "None of your business". That IS an answer.

Ditto what ScrubbieLady said.
Well said!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM

This feeds my disdain for teachers.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Any other parents getting the same explanation from their kids? What's the purpose of the questions? They seem totally invasive.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

It sound to me like a nice piece of research on how kids spend their time and the impact it has on their learning.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarvae View Post
It sound to me like a nice piece of research on how kids spend their time and the impact it has on their learning.
Really? I don't see how owning a cell phone or texting would make a carping difference.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Because kids who are up late playing on their phone after they're supposed to be in bed are not getting enough sleep and that can affect learning a lot.

It can also be relevant these days to bullying, there a lot of spite and nastiness happening these days by text and email as well as kids getting in trouble by sending things that seem harmless as a text when asked.

I'd say the school is being responsible wanting ot get an idea of how modern technology is impacting their pupils.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM

sorry Tarvae, if that were so they should declare it as such and it should be voluntary.
If that were a genuine study on children's bad habits affecting school work, it would be state wide and not done by a single school and not under such auspices. Every student would have received a questionaire.
I would fill it out with NOB after each Question.
Yea, get kids used to revealing every piece of private information.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM

May be overkill, but I would send an email to the teacher and cc it to my pediatrician, my attorney, the school principal, the superintendent, the school committee, the local news and the town newspaper.

I would politely ask what the information will be used for, how the data collected will be stored and how they intend to protect our family's privacy. I would include the text of the letter.

I would include that as all school communication is posted on their website, our family needs to have a computer with Internet access. My kids school assignments often require online research, so they are given computer access. I need to be accessible to the school nurse and staff for illness/injury/emergency, so our family does have cell phones. All local news and weather is on TV, including snow closings, so we do have a TV.

I would also ask for a written confirmation of the disciplinary actions in place for a failure to disclose this information, as it may be different from what the child described.

As for video games, that is just none of their concern, but I would leave that out.

If the response was not satisfactory, I would request a complete list of the entire school staff electronic usage and habits including their Facebook/twitter participation to be made publicly available and recommend payroll deduction for any staff that does not comply.

Then I would say,"Have a great day!"
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Master Pontificator

If it were going to be an anonymous letter, I might have thought a bit differently about what they were asking, but it wasn't anonymous, it had my child's name on the letter.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post

Thanks
I would use it to teach my ten year old about freedoms and government meddling nosing into people's business... so then I would make it a game...LOL

How much TV do you watch (let us say you watch 42 minutes - because you dont watch the commercials! hehehehe

How much do you text? Tel them you are only allowed to text for 16 minutes a day.

How late? Why lets tell them... I dont know, how about we say you are in bed at 7:13 every night... heheheh oh what fun!

Its a game sweetheart, so lets make up stuff so the government can be confused... that should be fun

Dennis G
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Make them spend the time/effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mma800 View Post
I would politely ask what the information will be used for, how the data collected will be stored and how they intend to protect our family's privacy. I would include the text of the letter.

I would also ask for a written confirmation of the disciplinary actions in place for a failure to disclose this information, as it may be different from what the child described.

If the response was not satisfactory, I would request a complete list of the entire school staff electronic usage and habits including their Facebook/twitter participation to be made publicly available and recommend payroll deduction for any staff that does not comply.
Good point! Force the school to develop a privacy policy and send notification on every subject, every question that was asked of my child. INCLUDING off the record private conversations.

Request all of that be documented and How/when/where/and how long that data is stored and request names of ALL who has access to it.

Some companies spend thousands on attorney fees to get a privacy policy implemented......but then again, it's a government agency.....they are most proficient in spending YOUR money for things that are useless. Sigh!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM

I guess my first course of action would be to e-mail the teacher and clarify the instructions of the assignment.

If what your daughter told you is indeed accurate, I would reply to the e-mail stating that you are going to opt out of the assignment, and your reasons. I would then forward the original e-mail and responses to the pricipal and superintendant with the question " Are you aware of this assignment, and the consequences to the entire class if even one is not returned?"

I guess the response I got after this would determine what the course of action would be.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mma800 View Post
May be overkill, but I would send an email to the teacher and cc it to my pediatrician, my attorney, the school principal, the superintendent, the school committee, the local news and the town newspaper.

I would include that as all school communication is posted on their website, our family needs to have a computer with Internet access. My kids school assignments often require online research, so they are given computer access. I need to be accessible to the school nurse and staff for illness/injury/emergency, so our family does have cell phones. All local news and weather is on TV, including snow closings, so we do have a TV.

As for video games, that is just none of their concern, but I would leave that out.

Then I would say,"Have a great day!"
This one gets my vote. Schools are run by the government and they have no business in your private life.
And Tarvae, where in the world are you coming from ?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Master Pontificator

When that kind of ultimatum was given when I was in school, several of the scofflaw boys(myself included) would test the teacher to see if she carried out her threat. As there were several of us, the threats were never carried out. Fail us? Lets have the school board come see why half the class failed. Detention? A handful of organized rowdy boys plus the worst ne'er-do-wells in the school vs. the school detention teacher. guess who wins. Phone calls to mom? Sure, spend half the week calling parents.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM

I would first contact the teacher, in writing if possible, to make sure what your daughter told you is correct. If it is correct, I would then escalate by notifying the board, Principal, media, etc. like what Mma800 suggested. What an invasion of privacy! Tarvae, if it was a study, then I would think a letter to the parents as to what was going on should have been attached to the questionnaire. Teachers and/or their unions are taking such outrageous liberties as of late. I'm surprised they didn't ask you if there were guns in the house. I'd love to hear what you find out.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I'd say the school is being responsible wanting ot get an idea of how modern technology is impacting their pupils.
It is not the school's business.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Because kids who are up late playing on their phone after they're supposed to be in bed are not getting enough sleep and that can affect learning a lot.

It can also be relevant these days to bullying, there a lot of spite and nastiness happening these days by text and email as well as kids getting in trouble by sending things that seem harmless as a text when asked.

And this is the school's business how? Nor is it the school's responsibility.

And IMHO, punitive retaliation if they refuse this invasion of privacy is extended to the entire class apparently. At the very least, why should my child's grade be determined by what another child does?