BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
jeanb jeanb is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 663
Default what is your take on this?

Yesterday my ten year old daughter brought home a letter asking questions about her home life. How much tv does she watch, what does she watch, does she play video games, does she own a cell phone and how much time does she talk on it, does she text and how late at night does she text, and there were other questions about home life.

I told my daughter this is none of the school's business, but she explained that her teacher said if this letter was not filled out and returned every student in this class would fail.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
ScrubbieLady ScrubbieLady is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 1,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Yesterday my ten year old daughter brought home a letter asking questions about her home life. How much tv does she watch, what does she watch, does she play video games, does she own a cell phone and how much time does she talk on it, does she text and how late at night does she text, and there were other questions about home life.

I told my daughter this is none of the school's business, but she explained that her teacher said if this letter was not filled out and returned every student in this class would fail.
Thanks
This sounds like a time for phone calls for the principal and the school board and perhaps the local news station. That information has absolutely nothing to do with education and the idea that the teacher would fail an entire class shows that the teacher shouldn't be a teacher.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
DavidOH's Avatar
DavidOH Male DavidOH is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central, OH
Posts: 2,440
Exclamation

I would proceed to answer every question with your answer; "None of your business". That IS an answer.

Ditto what ScrubbieLady said.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
TNDadx4's Avatar
TNDadx4 Male TNDadx4 is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
I would proceed to answer every question with your answer; "None of your business". That IS an answer.

Ditto what ScrubbieLady said.
Well said!
__________________
"...but, at long last, I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..." ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM
JarDude Male JarDude is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 1,412
Default

This feeds my disdain for teachers.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
KarenBC's Avatar
KarenBC Female KarenBC is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Prince George, B.C., Canada
Posts: 1,392
Default

Any other parents getting the same explanation from their kids? What's the purpose of the questions? They seem totally invasive.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Tarvae's Avatar
Tarvae Female Tarvae is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Posts: 178
Default

It sound to me like a nice piece of research on how kids spend their time and the impact it has on their learning.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
JarDude Male JarDude is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarvae View Post
It sound to me like a nice piece of research on how kids spend their time and the impact it has on their learning.
Really? I don't see how owning a cell phone or texting would make a carping difference.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Tarvae's Avatar
Tarvae Female Tarvae is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Posts: 178
Default

Because kids who are up late playing on their phone after they're supposed to be in bed are not getting enough sleep and that can affect learning a lot.

It can also be relevant these days to bullying, there a lot of spite and nastiness happening these days by text and email as well as kids getting in trouble by sending things that seem harmless as a text when asked.

I'd say the school is being responsible wanting ot get an idea of how modern technology is impacting their pupils.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
bookwormom bookwormom is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,546
Default

sorry Tarvae, if that were so they should declare it as such and it should be voluntary.
If that were a genuine study on children's bad habits affecting school work, it would be state wide and not done by a single school and not under such auspices. Every student would have received a questionaire.
I would fill it out with NOB after each Question.
Yea, get kids used to revealing every piece of private information.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Mma800 Female Mma800 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mass. Suburbs
Posts: 92
Default

May be overkill, but I would send an email to the teacher and cc it to my pediatrician, my attorney, the school principal, the superintendent, the school committee, the local news and the town newspaper.

I would politely ask what the information will be used for, how the data collected will be stored and how they intend to protect our family's privacy. I would include the text of the letter.


I would include that as all school communication is posted on their website, our family needs to have a computer with Internet access. My kids school assignments often require online research, so they are given computer access. I need to be accessible to the school nurse and staff for illness/injury/emergency, so our family does have cell phones. All local news and weather is on TV, including snow closings, so we do have a TV.


I would also ask for a written confirmation of the disciplinary actions in place for a failure to disclose this information, as it may be different from what the child described.


As for video games, that is just none of their concern, but I would leave that out.


If the response was not satisfactory, I would request a complete list of the entire school staff electronic usage and habits including their Facebook/twitter participation to be made publicly available and recommend payroll deduction for any staff that does not comply.


Then I would say,"Have a great day!"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
jeanb jeanb is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 663
Default

If it were going to be an anonymous letter, I might have thought a bit differently about what they were asking, but it wasn't anonymous, it had my child's name on the letter.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Dennis G Male Dennis G is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Yesterday my ten year old daughter brought home a letter asking questions about her home life. How much tv does she watch, what does she watch, does she play video games, does she own a cell phone and how much time does she talk on it, does she text and how late at night does she text, and there were other questions about home life.

I told my daughter this is none of the school's business, but she explained that her teacher said if this letter was not filled out and returned every student in this class would fail.
Thanks
I would use it to teach my ten year old about freedoms and government meddling nosing into people's business... so then I would make it a game...LOL

How much TV do you watch (let us say you watch 42 minutes - because you dont watch the commercials! hehehehe

How much do you text? Tel them you are only allowed to text for 16 minutes a day.

How late? Why lets tell them... I dont know, how about we say you are in bed at 7:13 every night... heheheh oh what fun!

Its a game sweetheart, so lets make up stuff so the government can be confused... that should be fun

Dennis G
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM
DavidOH's Avatar
DavidOH Male DavidOH is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central, OH
Posts: 2,440
Default Make them spend the time/effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mma800 View Post
I would politely ask what the information will be used for, how the data collected will be stored and how they intend to protect our family's privacy. I would include the text of the letter.

I would also ask for a written confirmation of the disciplinary actions in place for a failure to disclose this information, as it may be different from what the child described.

If the response was not satisfactory, I would request a complete list of the entire school staff electronic usage and habits including their Facebook/twitter participation to be made publicly available and recommend payroll deduction for any staff that does not comply.
Good point! Force the school to develop a privacy policy and send notification on every subject, every question that was asked of my child. INCLUDING off the record private conversations.

Request all of that be documented and How/when/where/and how long that data is stored and request names of ALL who has access to it.

Some companies spend thousands on attorney fees to get a privacy policy implemented......but then again, it's a government agency.....they are most proficient in spending YOUR money for things that are useless. Sigh!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Mom5farmboys Mom5farmboys is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,060
Default

I guess my first course of action would be to e-mail the teacher and clarify the instructions of the assignment.

If what your daughter told you is indeed accurate, I would reply to the e-mail stating that you are going to opt out of the assignment, and your reasons. I would then forward the original e-mail and responses to the pricipal and superintendant with the question " Are you aware of this assignment, and the consequences to the entire class if even one is not returned?"

I guess the response I got after this would determine what the course of action would be.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM
offgridbob's Avatar
offgridbob Male offgridbob is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mma800 View Post
May be overkill, but I would send an email to the teacher and cc it to my pediatrician, my attorney, the school principal, the superintendent, the school committee, the local news and the town newspaper.

I would politely ask what the information will be used for, how the data collected will be stored and how they intend to protect our family's privacy. I would include the text of the letter.


I would include that as all school communication is posted on their website, our family needs to have a computer with Internet access. My kids school assignments often require online research, so they are given computer access. I need to be accessible to the school nurse and staff for illness/injury/emergency, so our family does have cell phones. All local news and weather is on TV, including snow closings, so we do have a TV.


I would also ask for a written confirmation of the disciplinary actions in place for a failure to disclose this information, as it may be different from what the child described.


As for video games, that is just none of their concern, but I would leave that out.


If the response was not satisfactory, I would request a complete list of the entire school staff electronic usage and habits including their Facebook/twitter participation to be made publicly available and recommend payroll deduction for any staff that does not comply.


Then I would say,"Have a great day!"
This one gets my vote. Schools are run by the government and they have no business in your private life.
And Tarvae, where in the world are you coming from ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
macgeoghagen macgeoghagen is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever theres liberty.
Posts: 804
Default

When that kind of ultimatum was given when I was in school, several of the scofflaw boys(myself included) would test the teacher to see if she carried out her threat. As there were several of us, the threats were never carried out. Fail us? Lets have the school board come see why half the class failed. Detention? A handful of organized rowdy boys plus the worst ne'er-do-wells in the school vs. the school detention teacher. guess who wins. Phone calls to mom? Sure, spend half the week calling parents.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Dawn's Avatar
Dawn Female Dawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 259
Default

I would first contact the teacher, in writing if possible, to make sure what your daughter told you is correct. If it is correct, I would then escalate by notifying the board, Principal, media, etc. like what Mma800 suggested. What an invasion of privacy! Tarvae, if it was a study, then I would think a letter to the parents as to what was going on should have been attached to the questionnaire. Teachers and/or their unions are taking such outrageous liberties as of late. I'm surprised they didn't ask you if there were guns in the house. I'd love to hear what you find out.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM
momma_to_seven_chi's Avatar
momma_to_seven_chi Female momma_to_seven_chi is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarvae View Post
I'd say the school is being responsible wanting ot get an idea of how modern technology is impacting their pupils.
It is not the school's business.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
ScrubbieLady ScrubbieLady is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 1,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarvae View Post
Because kids who are up late playing on their phone after they're supposed to be in bed are not getting enough sleep and that can affect learning a lot.

It can also be relevant these days to bullying, there a lot of spite and nastiness happening these days by text and email as well as kids getting in trouble by sending things that seem harmless as a text when asked.

I'd say the school is being responsible wanting ot get an idea of how modern technology is impacting their pupils.
And this is the school's business how? Nor is it the school's responsibility.

And IMHO, punitive retaliation if they refuse this invasion of privacy is extended to the entire class apparently. At the very least, why should my child's grade be determined by what another child does?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.