BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

On post #7 you had a link to a video of how a LED worked. After watching that and reading up on it, I assumed the problem came from the resistor inside that cut off the voltage to the lamp. So it's the use of a resistor that causes the problem.

Earlier I mentioned talking to some maintenance people at a hospital. One of those guys mentioned the disks that came out years ago that were suppose to save energy. You attached them to the end of a light bulb before installing. He said those were a resistor, and in some cases caused the same problem.

Quote:
Not totally true. If the current is limited with a resistor network, then I would agree. But, as I stated above, I have a string of 60 LED's that are solar powered and they tore the crap out of my FM receiver! They are D.C but use a switching type power supply and emit all kinds of crap! Even those Dollar Store lawn lights with only one battery pump it out too!
If the resistor is part of the light itself, then as you say it shouldn't matter. Is it possible a resistor turning the light off and on thousands of times a second, combined with alternating current causes this problem to show up more often then if the resistor was running on DC?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM

That Joule thief circuit seems to be the electrical equivalent of a ram pump for water.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM

I have some of the same bulbs (10 watt floods) and was going to use them as back up lights on my pickup and trailer and had thought of putting some in shop as well.

I live in a fringe area and reception is so iffy that florescent lights even give me a fit.

At least now I know what may occure. de AC4HT
Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 PM

so I've just put in the first LED bulbs in the house--have a three globe type bulb fixture above the vanity, and needed to replace 2 of the 60 watt incandescent bulbs so got 3 LED substitutes. what I've noticed is that there is a definite split second lag between throwing the wall switch and the bulbs lighting. Is this normal for this type of lighting?? They do definitely put out more light.

JVC
Old 12-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Master Pontificator

jvcstone some are this way. I found found that the ones that do this are poorly made and wear out in less than a year. What is really neat is watch them turn off on a very dark room. Sometimes there is a slight delay and you can see them dim. I try buy only full spectrum daylight bulbs as these are easier on my eyes, brighter, act like natural sunlight and do not cast a tint in the room.

The first time we used LED's my family thought they needed sunglasses. Now they are use to it.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:36 PM

The driver is the weak point on all LEDs. A cheap driver causes early burnout as said, and can lead to interference problem with FM radios and even wifi problems.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Well, I've been reading more and more about how radios are on the way out anyway. Everything is streamed now a days.

We LOVE LED lights. I refuse to use those CFLs which caused far more problems than the LEDs ever have. We barely have any filament light bulbs anymore (maybe the refrigerator).

I'm going to test the issue with the radio reception. Our house is crud for cellphone reception. We're exactly between two towers (one side of the house you get one tower, on the other side of the house, you get the other tower). It is a brick house with a metal roof so reception inside the house sucks no matter what.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:59 PM

Saw a story on my local news a few days ago about blinking Christmas lights causing problems with wifi speed. I was wondering if LED lights might be to blame in some cases. I thought they might use the driver to cause the lights to blink since the driver is what controls the light, and can also be the blame for interference. Googled this.

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/christm...probably-wont/

Quote:
“The older technology that was used to make the lights blink can indeed cause radio interference,” says Institute fellow Stuart Lipoff. “Most modern Christmas tree lights are based on solid-state LEDs and often use an external electronic flashing controller and do not create radio noise. However, there are some LEDs that have an additional blink-controlled chip right inside the LED bulb. It turns out that these devices also create significant radio interference as this internal controller cycles the LED chip from on to off.”

The Institute says a perfect storm of old, ungrounded lights emitting just the right frequency of electromagnetic radiation could indeed create some sort of Wi-Fi interference, but it’s a long shot. The organization’s official stance is “No, it can’t interfere enough to affect consumers.”
I've sold lighting supplies to businesses for over 30 years, and now sell LEDs. A hospital told me they installed LEDs in their MRI room, and messed up all the machines in the room. Had to have a tech come out and spend 3 hours fixing all the machines. LEDs are good, but cheap ones can cause problems.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:23 PM

well at ten bucks apiece, I wouldn't actually call them cheap, and I do hope they last more than a year, or the retailer and I may have a go-around.

As for radio interference--no radio's, no tv's in the house, so not an issue here.

JVC
Old 12-20-2015, 03:04 PM

They should last more then a year, but they will dim out some. LEDs usually lose about 30% of their lumen level over their life.

When it comes to LEDs for me it's all about how much they are used. My son was talking about putting LEDs in his mater bath, which had 10 100 watt light bulbs. I asked him how much did he use those lights in a bathroom, maybe 1 or 2 hours a day. 10 100 watt bulbs at 2 hours a day is 2 KWHs. At 10 cents a KWH that's 20 cents a day. So how long does it take to get back the cost of 10 LEDs at 20 cents a day. And of course that is assuming the lights in a bathroom are on for 2 hours each day.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 PM

I found the very cheap LEDs will burn out rather quickly. Our power supply isn't the most consistent. We've had issues with electronics not on a surge suppressor getting damaged. If we pay a little more and buy the ones marked "dimmable", those last.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:36 PM

The dimmable are built differently and that is why they are able to withstand the power surges where the others can't.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Unhappy HUmmm

So for several years I have complained or noticed when I go into some stores after about 15 mins I get a headache behind my eyes.
I have mentioned I think it's the lights bothering me even with my Polaroid sunglasses on.

I picked up some el-cheapO LED lights but only installed 3 so far. Most of the house is florescent with the exception of a few lamps with 3-way bulbs.

I was going to replace the florescent with LED as they failed. Might not be such a great idea.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:49 PM

When there was a mess in the US with not allowing regular bulbs, I suspect not much came of that. Same here, but virtually nothing seemed to change.

Most bulbs I have bought in quite a while now have been from the thrift store. Most all LED of one or another generation I suspect. I use them any where as needed. If it is in an outbuilding they don't always work well in cold weather, so I just change to a different style or type until something works OK. I use LED in the basement as walking on the floor above regular bulbs shakes them to fail in a short time.

One small trick I've found that seems to help here is when changing a bulb, smear a small, small dab of dielectric grease on the threads. Helps it go in and out easily and you know you will have good contacts.

My 5 cents of experience...
Old 02-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I too have had some trouble with them in the cold, but they are far better than CFLs. I was ticked when they "outlawed" the old bulbs, as we often used them as heaters in places like the poultry houses and even the goat barn (when they would tolerate them). Turns out, I guess it was a scam to export union-wages jobs to China. The regular bulbs are now available here again, but they are all imported. On the whole, however, I love the LED bulbs where they work. I have seen some workplaces that are now installing "full spectrum" fluorescents that are supposed to help with SAD. I don't know if they help or not.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 PM

The old bulbs never stopped being available here. We've been using them all along and have only recently went to leds but just in those area that are on a lot of hours each day. Top of the that the non dimmable ones have really.
become competitive with incandescent

How do the leds hold up in unheated areas ?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I have seen some workplaces that are now installing "full spectrum" fluorescents that are supposed to help with SAD. I don't know if they help or not.
I've been selling full spectrum fluorescent lamps for over 30 years now. Basically full spectrum is a lamp with about a 5400 to 5600 kelvin temperature rating. Plain old cool white is 4150. There are many colors of LED lights, the 5000 kelvin temp LED would be pretty close to full spectrum.

On the SAD, I remember many years ago selling some to the President of a bank for his office, and we talked about SAD. When I went back he liked them, and I said shouldn't he buy some more for the others. He said it doesn't matter what mood they're in, they just want to make sure I'm in a good mood.

There are LEDs that work in cold weather, I sell those. But the ones I sell are commercial grade not household. The biggest key to an LED is how much time they took developing the fixture the diodes are in, be it a tube or a light bulb style. As an example I sell both a commercial grade and big box store grade LED flood light. This is a 17 watt LED that should replace a 120 watt standard flood light. My commercial grade lamp puts out 2200 lumens, while my big box store lamp using the same wattage only puts out 1400 lumens.

The other thing on the LED is the driver that lights the light. Cheap China made drives can cause EMI, and RFI. I've talked to more then one person who had low cost LEDs installed. Afterwards the radio wouldn't work on FM, and they couldn't connect to the internet while standing in the same room with the guilty LED lamp.

I think in the end some people will be disappointed with the life of LEDs. They will not last as long as many people think, and LEDs will dim about 30% over their life.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 PM

So far I have been much happier with LEDs than with CFLs. The CFLs seem to have a long life if they are in an application where they are always on. For me, turning the CFLs on and off seem to shorten their life significantly. I have used a standard fluorescent fixture that was supposedly designed for the temps up here, and it worked okay, but not as well as a filament fixture. I remember when I first moved up here and I put a "shoplight" in my outdoor workshop. I went out in the cold and turned it on: a candle would have yielded more light. I switched everything to incandescent at that point. We use lights a lot here in the winter, and almost not at all from May to August unless the space has no windows. I tried an LED bulb outside in a floodlight, and, like you said, it took a while to illuminate and the life was very short at -40.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:40 PM

I bet at -40 they don't work very well. I know my LEDs are rated for 0, but I bet at -40 mine wouldn't be much better then any others.

I like the 5000 kelvin temp LED light bulbs over the 3000. The 3000 is trying to mimic an incandescent light bulb people always used in their homes. The 5000 is a real white light and to our eyes much brighter. Light meters will say it's no brighter, and might even say it's dimmer. But light meters love yellow light while our eyes like blue light.