BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Junk guns as secondary choice for home defense?

Anyone hang onto some old junk pistol for use as a secondary home defense weapon? I'm not talking about some barely functional piece of crap, but something that is reliable or has been made to be reliable enough..

I have an old Jennings J-22 "saturday night Special" that I bought when I was a kid (I was over 21 at the time). I shot the crap out of it until it started to show signs of age and started to malfunction from time to time. Other more intersting guns came along so I relegated the J-22 to the bottom of the cabinet, under some paperwork, etc. I recently saw a video online where a guy did a little garage mechanics to his J-22 to make it function again. He filed here and smothed there and installed stiffer springs etc.....So I took mine to the basement and did the same thing (other than the springs, couldn't find any).....I took the gun down to the pond theother day with my grandsons and we had a blast shooting it. It still malfunctioned a few times but this was attributed to the crappy Remington .22 LR hollowpoints that I was using(saving the good stuff). I think using the right solid round nosed ammo would make this gun run flawlessly again. Even so this little gun is fairly accurate out to about 10 yards, and I can see it having a place as a glovebox or junk drawer gun, as a backup to my other defense guns should the need arise. Anyone else do this?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

We have a few older guns...

our idea was to either "save" these in a secure location... or make them the ones that were easiest to find. I like your idea tho. Will suggest this to hubs... see what he thinks.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Don't own any that I would consider 'junk' or require some tinkerin' to work properly.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
It still malfunctioned a few times but this was attributed to the crappy Remington .22 LR hollowpoints that I was using(saving the good stuff). I think using the right solid round nosed ammo would make this gun run flawlessly again. Even so this little gun is fairly accurate out to about 10 yards, and I can see it having a place as a glovebox or junk drawer gun, as a backup to my other defense guns should the need arise. Anyone else do this?
Old guns do have a place in my heart.

But if I have a gun that is not 100% reliable it gets relegated for plinking & fun. For me a defensive gun has to fire each & everytime.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM

Sorry Poonie,

THE only defensive weapons I have get used and cleaned regularly and ALL work flawlessly as I practice every month with ALL my handguns.

The shotguns and rifles get shot every few months - but they ALL work flawlessly and are kept clean after every shooting, like my handguns.

Any old guns that do not meet that criteria are not defensive weapons. If you want to keep them, put them in the safe at the bottom and forget about them, or take them to a gun show and see if you can sell it to someone or put them on craigslist and sell them if there is no emotional attachment ( like it was handed down from your grandpaw or something).

I do not know when I might need any of my weapons, or whether my boys and family might need any of my weapons when things go south, so ALL of mine are clean, have been fired no more than a few months ago, work flawlessly.

just my two cents.

Dennis G
Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
THE only defensive weapons I have get used and cleaned regularly and ALL work flawlessly as I practice every month with ALL my handguns.

The shotguns and rifles get shot every few months - but they ALL work flawlessly and are kept clean after every shooting, like my handguns.

Any old guns that do not meet that criteria are not defensive weapons.
Dennis G
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
We have a few older guns...

our idea was to . . . make them the ones that were easiest to find.
These two ideas are how I see it. Defensive tools must be reliable. Period.

I have a cheap gun safe with some pieces that work but aren't what I'd call reliable. The idea being that if a bg comes in, they'll be satisfied to have found some hardware so they'll leave without tearing up the place.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
These two ideas are how I see it. Defensive tools must be reliable. Period.

I have a cheap gun safe with some pieces that work but aren't what I'd call reliable. The idea being that if a bg comes in, they'll be satisfied to have found some hardware so they'll leave without tearing up the place.
I agree. My neighbor in Colorado had a couple single-shot .22 rifles and three rickety shotguns hanging locked securely on his gunrack where anyone who came in could see them. They still worked, but he said he wouldn't want to depend on them.

He said he figured that if someone from the government ever came around looking for guns, they'd find those and not bother looking too much further.

He also had a small undeclared gold mine on his place where he made most of his money. But I never found any indications of gold on my property.

Cool guy.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 PM

I bought a J-22 a few years back and from day one it jammed from the get go. I haven't tried to file it yet but I have tried to shoot just about every 22 known to man and nothing works. But if I have to shoot an intruder it will be in their hand when the police come. Might as well put it to good use.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM

Junk is junk be it a firearm, blade, vehicle, etc. If you choose to stake your life on junk that is your choice. I won't.

Ross
Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM

I don't think the OP is advocating using the Jennings as a first line gun. I would have no problem using a jennings pistol as a backup so long as its been made to function reliably. These guns although made of less than quality metal can be made to run well using the right kinds of ammo, heftier springs, etc......I'd surely rather have a Jennings pistol as my last resort than be left to rely upon a 9 iron, rolling pin, or rock.....
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Junk guns serve two purposes in my ownership.

First is to practice any gunsmithing or mods on something which is cheap and I won't exactly cry about. Such as paint jobs or solvents testing.

Second is to register them. Should there be a confiscation, then there is guns to find; and the authorities can take them, and move on.

To go into a fight with a junk gun.... better to use shoe leather instead.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM

As I see it a unreliable or malfunctioning gun is nothing but a disaster waiting to happen. If it is unreliable it has no place in my arsenal.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 PM

Again, as a last resort weapon, whether unreliable or not, its still a better choice than having to use a knife or other non-standoff weapon.....Why is everyone hung up on the fact that its junk or unreliable, rather than seeing what the OP meant? I got it. If I have an old clunker but I've worked it over and made it functionally reliable, then its no longer an a piece of junk, but a viable alternative
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM

In those gun unfriendly states, keep a couple of 58 MLers loaded with a cap handy. Or leave the cap on, wax it in and put a pice of duct tape on the end of the barrel. Load will be good for decades on a clean gun loaded with real BP.

The size of the bore will scare off most criminals. The hole it will make will make their cohorts run.

Another 58 MLer pistole or two, by the bed.

NOT regulated by state or DC asshats. Leave open and loaded. Do NOT do this if you have uneducated or unstable children or visitors, or use drugs or alcohol.

P.S. those 58s long guns will shoot as good as your eyes to 100yds and throw a big fat roundball or a conical 100gr larger than a shotgun slug ( 1 1/4 oz)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 AM

I bought an old rough looking S&W M1917 with a pitted bore to keep around for HD since the PoPo will confiscate whatever you shoot someone with. Heavy trigger pull, but reliable and surprisingly accurate for what I need. Thinking of buying and old but sound pump 12Ga for the same reason. If I can get 'em back fine, if not fine too.

jim

Last edited by jim; 02-25-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Info
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Everyone should have a drop gun or two. Just make sure your prints aren't on it.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 AM

I'm a sucker for a cheap firearm. I like hitting the gun shops that have rifles and shotguns out on a rack on the floor. I like picking up firearms for under fifty bucks to take home refinish and shoot. My best find was a Remington Target Master single shot. 22 it is a real shooter and one fine squirrel. Gun. There's. not much interest in old single shots these days so te shop let me out the door with it for twenty five dollars. . I picked up a box of old Owl Head pistols and had two of them shooting with a few hours of tinkering had a grand total of fourth dollars in all of it.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM

A good find Tuckahoe.
The Target master my dad had, shot short, long, or long rifle., and was very accurate.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Remington made some very accurate rifles just after WWII. I have a model 541 bolt action repeater that will put bullet after bullet in the same hole when held in a shooting vice.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM

Junk just doesn't belong in the same sentence as home defense.
Unless I can fire at least 200 rounds of premium self defense ammo through a gun designated as a home defense gun I would never trust it to go bang when life is on the line.

Last edited by CraigR; 02-21-2014 at 10:28 PM.