BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Billionaires Dumping stocks

Read this: http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/bil...source=taboola

I think these people know something is going to happen soon!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheradar View Post
Read this: http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/bil...source=taboola

I think these people know something is going to happen soon!
Use extreme caution when reading these "news" stories. It is an advertisement really, not a news story. I almost laughed at the "shocking" news that George Soros sold a million shares of banking stocks. The man is worth billions upon billions of dollars. If the average share price was $30 then he sold about $30 million bucks worth of stock. Not exactly a huge swing due to a market fundamental event. He was probably taking profits and reallocting to keep his portfolio balanced.

These kind of shock news stories are the same as the "sneaky little trick to save hundreds on car insurance" ads. They are used to generate traffic to a site that either collects your data to sell or tries to sell you something. In this case it is a subscription to an investing newsletter.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I'm not saying the story is bogus but it's also not unheard of to try to engineer a fake panic and manipulate the market.

Someone has a lump of cash they want to invest, so they start a rumor that the market's about to crash.

If it gets accepted, enough people preemptively sell that the market then dips. Other's see it happening and they sell too - market dips even more. Then the rumor-starter makes a big buy. The market recovers (either because of or in spite of that investor). After that, the rumor starter sells off slowly and makes a tidy profit - may even be able to ride a bit of a wave past the recovery if people think the market is now climbing and try to jump on.

With everybody sort of pre-primed believing a crash is imminent (and I'm definitely not saying it isn't), it would be easy to start rumors purely for profit.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Not even Soros can "time" the market... even if he does have the money to make big plays. Will it cause a swoon? Could be - but it will be shallow and short lived. The real market movers are still the Fed (printing money) and institutional investors: the big pension funds, investment banks, etc. Dollar's going up and the yen is dropping; today it looked like the dollar was stronger than the pound & Euro, too. That's one thing I'm starting to watch... signs that a currency war is heating up.

Wouldn't you just love to know how many gold bars Soros has? and in what country?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM

OK all you doubters..............read this: http://www.france24.com/en/20130207-...rmy-year-snake

Wake up everyone!!!! It's the year of the SNAKE!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Radar...

It was that last sentence, we need to pay attention to -- when the snake sheds it's skin, there will be transformation (sound familiar?) and change.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM

So Chinese fortune tellers say that it is the year of the SNAKE and that good things and bad things happen during the year of the snake and they go from there. Good and bad things happen every year. I would be more impressed if they were knowledgeable in their subjects. For instance, why would we listen to a feng shui master that has advice for Obama to "be less conservative" to help our economy.

I am not much into fortune tellers.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM

It has been eluded to that there will be another "self correction" in the stock market soon...... Upwards to 70% or more. What ever that means. I can only presume 70 cents of each dollar in the market is "available" one way or another ??

From what I have seen in the last several corrections that have happened it just means there will be a harvest of money from small investors.......

Or that is how it seemed to me.....

Good luck
Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM

They're dumping gold also.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
They're dumping gold also.
Really?

Gold Value.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:42 AM

Yep - http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/15/inve...old/index.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...mmodities.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...nd-slumps.html

Gold 1,572.30 -5.80 -0.37%
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Everything in the markets is likely to go up and down, a large chunk... a lot of times... this year. At least, that's what I'm planning on... sort of a roller coaster.

There are a lot "balls" up in the air - Europe, China, the Brics, and commodities (like gold & silver & hogs) - with political interference, the FED and international stuff, social issues (like high unemployment), etc. The possibility of a large correction - significant drop - exists. Whether it will happen or if the Dow will climb even higher to 16000 or so, before plummeting... who knows?

The only "wrong move" I think anyone could make this year, would be to take the position that if such and such happens, then you'll do this... and stake the whole enchilada on that one idea. All the sell-off by the big guys is... is taking some profits while they're there... and if there is a drop: they'll be buying back in again.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Lots of people know far more about the markets than me. But I suspect that as long as interest rates are near zero, investors will stay bullish on the market as there is no other place to invest. In addition I believe confidence in govt spending çuts are riding. Heck just a few years ago no one was talking about cuts, now it how much and where. The disgusting on " should we cut" is long over. That has spurred confidence and America is still the best investment in the world - to include our companies.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM

NOPE.

Gold value One thousand five hundred seventy two dollars and thirty cents. Down five dollars and eighty cents or point three seven of one percent.

Only slightly more than one third of one percent is not an indicator of Billionaires "dumping stocks" not even if it took place over an extended period of time.

It is an indicator of Gold losing some value, not the arrival of the Workers Paradise as foretold by Marx and Engels.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Precious metals falling are due to strengthening of the dollar. Oops that's no possibly, since we are verge of collapse? Duh!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
NOPE.

Gold value One thousand five hundred seventy two dollars and thirty cents. Down five dollars and eighty cents or point three seven of one percent.

Only slightly more than one third of one percent is not an indicator of Billionaires "dumping stocks" not even if it took place over an extended period of time.

It is an indicator of Gold losing some value, not the arrival of the Workers Paradise as foretold by Marx and Engels.
Down over $200 in the past 6 months. Articles referenced but two large investors and I'd venture to say other large investors have sold also. Even the pawn shops buy and immediately sell.

You're free to put every spare dollar that comes your way into gold or any other commodity, metal, stock, bond, derivative, hedge fund etc. Personally all eggs in one basket is not my investment plan. Gold coins for personal hobby but not for my long term financial plan.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Down over $200 in the past 6 months. Articles referenced but two large investors and I'd venture to say other large investors have sold also. Even the pawn shops buy and immediately sell.

You're free to put every spare dollar that comes your way into gold or any other commodity, metal, stock, bond, derivative, hedge fund etc. Personally all eggs in one basket is not my investment plan. Gold coins for personal hobby but not for my long term financial plan.
As others have mentioned. The dollar is getting stronger as other currencies become weaker.

Dumping gold would have meant a rapid and significant drop in the value of gold due to the abundance on the market.

I don't have enough to put into gold right now, I do pick up pre-64 silver when I can. Easier to barter when "it all goes like Argentina".

Now isn't the time to invest in gold as an investment with speculation towards making a profit. Though people some will buy gold now as security against further inflation eroding the buying power of their wages.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Well today the stock market reached a high it hasnt seen in years---and I am amazed and wondered why?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Because investors need done place to invest and this the only game in town with interest rates near zero and with gold down due to stable dollars.

BTW it was an all time record high. So much for a sell off.