BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Default EDC Knives

Hey all,

Just curious, what do you look for in an EDC folding knife?

Favorite brand?
Blade steel?
Serrated/Plain edge?
USA made?

Personally I'm a fan of Benchmade, Kershaw and Spyderco, AUS8 Japanese steel and a plain edge.

Full Disclosure: I'm the Editor of EDC Knife Reviews a real-world, real-user consumer review site for EDC folding pocket knives.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 AM

Schrade Raider on my keychain.

Then the world got crazy and a boxcutter blade was too much blade so I put it up somewhere or other. Haven't seen it in a few months...

John
Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Depends on what EDC we're talking about.

Normal EDC is a Vic Rogue.

Week end EDC is a Gerber FAST Draw or a Case single Trapper or maybe an Old Timer stockman.

Hiking EDC is a Vic Swiss Champ and a fixed blade.

Camping EDC is Swiss Champ, a folder and fixed blade.

I have so many folders and fixed blades, tough to pick just one.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 PM

Default EDC Knives

I carry two separate knives for 2 separate occasions. Work day I carry a SOG Twitch II I bought from Lowes for $19.99 on sale. It has a quick assisted opening and the blade is very easy to sharpen and stays sharp adequately for everyday use. My casual or off work knife is a Camulus Mai Tai which cost $25 and is just the best all around knife for the money that I have. Both are high carbon steel and aus-2 steel. both are half plain half serrated blades. For bob I have a Camulus Carnivore which is a aus-2 steel monster that is for chopping, digging, and heavy duty camping/survival.

Last edited by the1gman; 08-30-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM

These days I carry a Case Trapper. One blade for chores, one blade for dinner.

I was carrying a Swiss Army for a while. Standard issue soldier or something like that. Still have it and is one of the most useful pocket knives I've ever owned. While I was overseas I carried an Ontario folding knife. Forget the model. Unfortunately that one seems to have walked off.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:51 AM

I am by NO means a "knife snob". Here is what I look for in a EDC pocket knife:

1. Price - I am terrible about losing pocket knives (although I have gotten better in the last few years). There is NO reason for me to carry an expensive tool in my pocket that I am likely to lose. Generally speaking, my life will not depend on it. So I look for a reasonably priced pocket knife.

2. Size - I am a pretty big fella, so I don't want a bunch of stuff hanging off my belt, knocking into stuff all the time. My pocket knife needs to be reasonably small.

3. Useful - I am not butchering animals nor do I work in a "factory" or "farm" setting. My knife will be used to cut open the occasional box or open the mail, from time to time I may have to cut some sort of rope to tie something with. My blade has to be able to accomplish these things.

Now with all that being said, I currently carry this knife from Manta Knives. I just got this one about a month or so ago from one of the internet "deal" sites. Cost was about $11 including shipping.

Prior to this I used a very small single blade "toothpick" from a local knife company (Frost) I bought it for about $2 and carried it for about 3 or 4 years until the backspring broke. Prior to that I carried a couple of different small pocket knives from the same company for about the same price... lost one or two a year.

I have also carried a Case Stockman in the past - still have it, but it is badly rusted and I really need to clean it up.

My $.02....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantis Knife small.jpg (13.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

EDC1: Leatherman Micra -- I probably use the nail file as much as any part of it -- excellent for cleaning up small battery terminals etc. I keep its blade "shaving sharp."

EDC2: Gerber Crucial because it has some decent pliers, wire cutter, light screwdrivers etc. I use its blade for indelicate chores like cutting straps, cardboard etc. I keep the blade sharp but not shaving sharp.

Every work day I will also have my Gerber Hinderer since I'm in an ambulance all day. The window punch is amazingly effective. I keep the blade nearly shaving sharp and, I have found the serrations on the blade to be more useful than I would have expected.

When not carrying my Hinderer I will be carrying a Gerber Obsidian with the fine edge. I keep the edge close to, if not razor sharp. I like having those tools in the handle.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM

been carrying a Kershow Shallot for a little over a year. Great knife.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Master Pontificator

I carry a Kershaw Cyclone (specs below) that I picked up at the Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It's a beautiful knife that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Steel: Sandvik 13C26 stainless steel
Handle: 6061-T6 anodized aluminum
Liner: 410 stainless steel
Blade: 3 3/4"
Closed: 5"
Open: 8 3/4"
Weight: 6.3 oz

I also carry a Gerber multitool which I always seem to need.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 PM

I carry a small Buck Stock Man style knife.... (3 1/4" long folded up)
It was my Dads knife... He carried it for many years with a small ceramic stone... He could shave with it....

I'm not that good at sharpening. So I let the guy who is good at it, do that. He is at the farmers market and I stop every spring and fall to let him tune it up. Works well for me.

When I was working (machine shops) I carried Old Timer stock man style knives. Sharpened them on the belt sander, and replaced as needed...

Good luck
Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Got the Benchmade mini-griptilian on me here at the office right now, plain non-serrated edge. I like it because it's small and light and I totally forget it's clipped in my pocket. It arrived razor sharp and it is made in the US. Can't beat that!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:24 PM

When I pick a EDC knife I look for two diffrent types. The first type is one to carry around when working on the farm which is usually a large beefy knife with a four inch blade like the cold steel Recon 1 clip point and the CRKT M-16 tanto point. These are both super beefy well built knives that are good for any task that I need to get done. The second type of knife is a smaller nicer looking knife which is also less threatening looking for carrying when I am in the city running errands or enjoying my self the smith and wesson executive is currently in the role but I will eventually upgrade to the benchmade pardue.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM

What is a good steel to look for in an EDC knife?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM

I also carry a small Buck Stockman. Have had it for years and can't believe I haven't lost it.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarb View Post
What is a good steel to look for in an EDC knife?
This can answer that question
Stick with a good name brand knife, and the specific type of steel won't matter so much

It's hard to beat the quality of a Kershaw without spending a lot more money
I've always been impressed with Cold Steel and Spyderco too:
http://www.knifesupply.com/knife_blade_steels.html
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 AM
Master Pontificator

Over the past 10 years I have carried the Leatherman Super200 on my belt. Marvelous tool box if you think about it. Much of that same time I also have a Leatherman Micra on my key chain along with a 4" crescent wrench, a mini LED light and one of those disk screwdrivers. The key chain it self is a small caribiner.
Something hit me while watching the movie "Cast Away" and ever since seeing that movie I carry that Leatherman. Often I have the Swiss Army Champion next to it on my belt. I do live on a farm and am constantly using both of them for all kinds of chores. What is interesting is that I tend to use scissors many more times than a blade to cut things. I wish I could have a pair of scissors on the big Leatherman but would have to buy the "latest and greatest" and it just isn't THAT important since the Micra has scissors.
//BT//
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 AM

I seem to accumulate EDC knives.
I carry a Cold Steel neck knife Kiridashi 24/7, it's not a folder though.
I have a Cold Steel Recon 1, Spyderco Yojimbo, Delica and Persistence
along with a Blackhawk Be-wharned.

I prefer no serrations at all and generally when Michael Janich advises against it for a knife potentially used to defend yourself I tend to listen to him.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:26 PM

I spent over 30 years in the fire service, and I think I carried a blade every one of those days. Old habits are hard to break, and I learned a lot, I think, about the day to day needs of a blade of some sort. One tool really isn't enough although a Swiss Army knife comes close if pocket carry is what you want!

I've carried a Benchmade 'Doug Ritter' folder for the past seven or eight years. It stays clipped to my pants pocket. Its also easy to open and close one-handed, which is a real plus for me.

Others mentioned the Leatherman 'MICRA'. Great little tool! I carry one of those as well. For its size, the scissors are super good, and I use them often.

I still occasionally wear one of the original Leatherman tools just for the pliers. It may have been the first model.

Lastly, I have a loop of aircraft cable festooned with a few handy items - tweezers, micro-LED light, small pry bar, whistle, P38, and a bottle opener for those occasional micro-brews.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 PM

I have a Kershaw 3160 (Walmart about $12.00) for everyday use around the house/yard etc. I try not to spend too much on pocket knives because I loose them . I also carry a TOPS Cockpit Commander (fixed) for city use, malls, restaurants, theater etc.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 AM

Purchased a handi little EDC knife, received it today .
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-...heath/p/AGPRS/