BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Got ammo???

I was in the big city today, the largest city in our state, pop. 140 thou.. I had also been to two smaller cities in the last week, about twelve or fifteen thou. In every town I discovered the same thing. You couldn't find a 22 shell to save your soul. Many other shells are running low, and the only shotgun shells to be had were a few 20 ga target and 12 ga shells. All other shotgun ga. are out. They've been out for weeks and they say they've a waiting list as long as your arm.

Anyone else experience this in your area or is it just here?

If so, what's the hang up? Is the gov't buying it all up so folks can't get it or what?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
I was in the big city today, the largest city in our state, pop. 140 thou.. I had also been to two smaller cities in the last week, about twelve or fifteen thou. In every town I discovered the same thing. You couldn't find a 22 shell to save your soul. Many other shells are running low, and the only shotgun shells to be had were a few 20 ga target and 12 ga shells. All other shotgun ga. are out. They've been out for weeks and they say they've a waiting list as long as your arm.

If so, what's the hang up? Is the gov't buying it all up so folks can't get it or what?
Well, this has been going on since November when Barack Obama was re-elected; exacerbated by Adam Lanza killing those school children in Newton, Conn.

So this is really old news, and people are starting to talk about the recovery from the "Great Panic Buy" of 2012.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM

The counters/shelves have been pretty much bare around here. I did get lucky and purchased a bulk pack of .22 along with some .117/.22 pellets (pests/small game) at the local Wal-Mart.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Well, this has been going on since November when Barack Obama was re-elected; exacerbated by Adam Lanza killing those school children in Newton, Conn.

So this is really old news, and people are starting to talk about the recovery from the "Great Panic Buy" of 2012.
I haven't seen a good selection of reloading components for sale at the major dealers like Grafs & Midway USA. Powder Valley is running pretty slim too.

But I have noticed one thing encouraging. I have seen somponents for sale on Gunbroker.com at reasonble prices. Things like .44 mag brass 500 for around $89.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM

On reloading components, we've heard that they're going into ammo and once the ammo supply gets caught up (?) then components - bullets & primers are particularly scarce - will be available again.

A few weeks ago, our Walmart finally got restocked. LGSs got ammo in, too. Monday, we went inland to our Costco-sized dealer... and we looked at empty pistol cases; blank walls; and signs limited people to 1 or 2 boxes of 22LR, 9mm, .45 or .223. Disappointed, we bought some powder and stopped at LGS on the way home. His ammo case was bare again... so we bought a .243 (Rem Model 7) that I'd been looking at, because there was a double stack of .243 in his case and it didn't seem this was as scarce.

So, they got caught up once... and they've been bought out again. The big dealer said their weekends have been just a nutz-busy as when we were there early in Dec. I don't think this is panic buying.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:

No offense pal but, where've you been? This has been going on since not too long after the Newtown shootings back in December. People are panicking that Assault Weapons will be banned, and are stocking up on anything and everything they can get their hands on, ammo included. Much of this has been due to people who may have either been on the fence about buying a gun or people who feel they need to buy now before its all gone....At any rate things are gone and shelves are bare. From all accounts I've read recently its going to be another 6 months to a year before we'll start to see any appreciable amounts of ammunition back on the shelves.

One reason .22LR is scarce to non-existant is because people feel they'll shoot .22 because its cheap, while they're waiting for .223, 7.62x39, to come back. As a result no .22 to be had.....But, if you're diligent and check your favorite ammo haunts regularly, it can be had, albeit in small amounts. I've gotten a couple bricks of .22LR over the past two months simply by checking Wal-Mart's gun case on a weekly basis. I'm not hurting for ammo but if I find any I'll buy it...If anything after all this is over with I can sell some off to make some extra $.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
No offense pal but, where've you been?

One reason .22LR is scarce to non-existant is because people feel they'll shoot .22 because its cheap, while they're waiting for .223, 7.62x39, to come back. As a result no .22 to be had.....But, if you're diligent and check your favorite ammo haunts regularly, it can be had, albeit in small amounts. I've gotten a couple bricks of .22LR over the past two months simply by checking Wal-Mart's gun case on a weekly basis. I'm not hurting for ammo but if I find any I'll buy it...If anything after all this is over with I can sell some off to make some extra $.
No offense taken, but I'm not one to crawl out of my cave and run to Wally's every week, especially not in the city I was at the other day.

As for using 22's I was at Scheels and you could get absolutely anything you could think of except 22LR and 16 ga shotgun shells. At the hardware stores, they had just about everything too except twenty-two shells. They've got waiting lists. Stop and consider, if this has been a prob. for two months? Why isn't it straightened out yet? Do you suppose Big Bro. doesn't want us to have any so they're not becoming available???, Dribble out the occasional box of them so as to not cause great panic?

Or is it going to be like the big jar lid scare we had back in the seventies???
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
No offense taken, but I'm not one to crawl out of my cave and run to Wally's every week, especially not in the city I was at the other day.

As for using 22's I was at Scheels and you could get absolutely anything you could think of except 22LR and 16 ga shotgun shells. At the hardware stores, they had just about everything too except twenty-two shells. They've got waiting lists. Stop and consider, if this has been a prob. for two months? Why isn't it straightened out yet? Do you suppose Big Bro. doesn't want us to have any so they're not becoming available???, Dribble out the occasional box of them so as to not cause great panic?

At my local outfitting store, 5.56/.223 was the first to sell out. Every so often they will have a very small offering. Then next was the 7.62's and .308's. And now the .22LR is cleaned out. Everything else is being rationed.

I didn't remember a lid shortage. Makes me glad I've stocked up on them now!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:

The reason is because there has not been an attack on our freedoms like what is being proposed in our history. Yes we had the assault weapon thing back in 94, but back then there was not as many AW's out there as there are today. The rhetoric about permanent bans and confiscation etc has got people scared. Plus again are all the fence sitters and procrastonators who went out right after Newtown and bought everything in sight. Most all the manufacturers, dealers, and retailers have simply been inundated with purchases and orders in a very short amount of time. As a result there are never ending back orders and "out of stock with no sign of relief", placards everywhere. Like after a huge storm, its simply going to take time for those folks to recover. If an AW ban doesn't materialize, IMO we will see some easing and will again see some items reappear on store shelves and online outlets. But its going to be a while before we'll see prices back down below their pre Newtown days. And we can thank all of this on that one nutjob who decided it was easier to take his mother out, and 26 innocent people, instead of seeking or being given help for his problems. Maybe I'm being too harsh blaming that kid in New town because he wasn't the only catalyst, but he was the straw that broke the camels back, at least from a liberal ban AW's standpoint.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Another reason, is that there are a LOT of first-time, women shooters... and a lot us of bought a .22 pistol to shoot first. (9mm is even more scarce than 22 for the same reason). I saw figures recently, that as many as 2 million women have started shooting in the last year. Our CCW classes run every weekend now (2 different places and a 3rd private class)... and they are full up. We're only at a population of about 35,000 people in our county; guess we're picking up overflow from the county over.

Y'all will be glad to know that the WSJ finally noticed. Article today, said that one manufacturer predicted it'll be a year before they get caught up -- and that they're running so much overtime, they're hiring employees and still not getting caught up. I saw 4 boxes of CCI mini-mags at our LGS yesterday. 4. We left 'em for the next person, as we stocked up before all this started where there was an amazing sale.

And I'm noticing that the "panic" is not over yet. About a month ago we started seeing ammo come back in stock. It's gone again - even at our big dealer. Under the circumstances, I guess everyone feels there's no such thing as "too much ammo"... and since it doesn't "go bad"...

And people are cleaning out the safes -- lots of consignment rifles showing up. Some of these are pretty sweet deals, too.

::shrug::
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Get yourself some 20mm GI ammo containers. Air and water proof. And have at least 250 rds minimum for each gun. Have some more for powder and primers. Save all your brass and have equipment for each gun to reload (except rimfires).

Trust Obama/Biden/Dems as far as you can throw him.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM

Yesterday a friend was at Cabelas. Lots of activity at the gun counter. Then, a staffer pushed out a cart loaded with 9mm. It almost caused a riot as people started grabbing for the ammo.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 PM

Well I was at the local Wal-MArt earlier today and found two lonely boxes of Federal .45 ACP. Just plain old 230 hardball but ammo is ammo these days. I took them home.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Mad Professor -

we use ammo cans for storing a lot of different things and hubs went looking online a couple weeks ago... at that point, everything was out of stock in AMMO CANS. Even our LGS - he'd had maybe 30 - those were all gone.

Since then, hubs has found some again at Cabela's... and Amazon.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM

I read that the problems stems from a combination of issues. Typically, the ammo builders stop primary production at the end of the year to reduce their stock for tax purposes. No idea if it is true but it would seem to make sense as a good friend of mine does the same thing in his business. Next the Federal government put out several bids for large purchases that had to be filled by the end of the 2012 year. Finally, components are scarce! Primers are not being sold to secondary outlets due to primary producers trying to keep up with their own demand. Federal was given as an example. All of their primers are allocated to themselves and a handful of other large groups. Coupled with the sudden rush to preparedness from people, the shortages are expected to last for several more months. Of course, this is stuff I have read on the internet. Who really knows if this is true? I can for sure say that you can get what ever you are looking for on gunbroker if you are willing to pay the price. Our local big chain dealer gets a shipment once a week. Typically if you were there a couple of hours before the they closed the night before, you were out of luck for 9, 45, 22lr, 223/5.56, ect... Still plenty of 303 british and 30-30, 30.06, and .243 but even that began to run low. The good news is that in the last 2 weeks, you could actually buy a box of popular ammo after 20 minutes of opening. They actually closed the store the other day with a couple of 50 count boxes of high dollar target 22lr still on the shelf. I think that the credit card bills are starting to come due on some of these people and maybe they will slow down.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM

If you reload you will find a lot of guns can use the same powder/primers and sometimes bullets. Might not be the best match , but in a pinch it will work.

I suggest getting into reloading. For most pistols and low velocity rifles you can cast your own bullets from scrap lead. Even a 06 can be downloaded to use cast lead bullets and they will work fine at moderate distances. For others you can make much better loads than you can buy, CHEAPER, after working up a specific load. But you will pay for the bullets, still cheaper than what you buy...........

Shotguns are simple and reloading is the way to go. Save your brass/shotshells

Muzzle loaders are another subject, buy REAL blackpowder and have fun
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM

My curiosity is peaked......

I wonder which direction the replies might have gone if.....

and this is a big "if".

Those making a reply might have actually read the first post and responded to the question there?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Master Pontificator

The best, basic response to the OP bottom line question, is how my Cousin put it to a customer the other day when I was in ear shot.
All the time, just back in early Dec, people come in and walk around and walk right past ALL of the .22LR, .223 etc, sitting there stacked up and never think- 'I should get some and have it while I can get it.' THEN- threats start and things look bleak and everyone that NEVER thought about it, ran out and bought everything. Stores stocked more, people bought more.
Here we are.
Is the government buying it all? No. Are they buying a lot? Through contract. Most of what they buy is not made in the same facilities that civillian ammo is, so it is a no brainer.
I know of more than one major ammo maker out there that sources components ONLY in the USA- brass, copper, lead etc. Sources are already low, and if you are a metal scrapper- then you know how much copper and brass are bringing.
Supply will catch up with demand if no legislation occurs limiting ammo.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 AM

I'm sitting pretty comfy with ammo and reloading components, but thought I would start stopping at places along my driving routes. I typically hit about 4 states (MN, Wi, Iowa, NE), so I thought it would be interesting.

Powder seems to be more available then anything else. I've picked up some extra Varget (which always seems to be one of the first to go) and IMR4064 (more on the shelves). You're definitely not guaranteed to have your selection of powder, but it's out there.

Primers seem to be low on supply, many stores don't sell by the brick anymore. Every place has a max 1 brick limit - but that's kind of been the norm. I never buy more then a brick anyways. Large rifle is more readily available then small and large pistol, and small rifle. Shotshell primers are pretty available, so I've picked up some of these - good for the blackpowder equipment as well.

Dies and brass are very low. Glad I don't need any of this.

Ammo supply has ranged from 50-75% depleted. Signs with limitations at most stores.

Overall, been able to pickup all the components that I've wanted, but had to shop around a bit. Didn't want to buy too much, as pricing is inflated.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 AM

Stopped by several places over the weekend, both big boxes and smaller stores that I prefer to frequent.

Plenty of shotgun ammo in all variety.

Plenty of rifle ammo, shelves pretty much full.

Rimfire ammo remains dry. Glad I have more then enough.

Primers are on the shelves, but low inventories. Restrictions from 500 to a brick remain.

Powder is hit or miss. The most popular are still slim. Very good powder without the "marketing hype" is on the shelves. Black powder remains plentiful.

This is in the metro twin cities area, MN.