BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Oh, thought I would maybe post observations on firearms.

Standard hunting rifles and shotguns are on the rack.

Pistols are on the shelves, but slimmer stock then during normal times.

ARs are coming back to the rack. Not back to normal levels, but they are there if you want to pay 10-20% premium at the big boxes and maybe 20-30% more at the smaller local guys.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM

From what I'm reading - and seeing with my own eyes, in my area (NC) - ammo availability is still spotty. You'll have some for a few weeks up north... while it's high and dry down here.

Rifle primers/powders are non-existent here; a friend of mine in WV has been getting it locally - but needs pistol components. LOL - we might make a trade, to even up both supplies.

People are consigning a lot of guns, here. The delivery from manufacturers is still pretty scarce. There've been some very pretty, and still reasonable buys out there. CCW classes are still full up; my instructor is now offering defensive (shoot & move from cover) classes, too.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Ammo here is- rough.

Found CCI .22 Mini Mags, 10.00$ per 100, not bad considering people are gouging on Gunbroker for up to a hundred dollars per 500, and they are premium rounds, but limited to 2 boxes. Found a 325 round box of Federal for 26$ and bought it, not that I NEED it, BUT I want to be able to buy it.
Even friggin' 30-30 is dry in the area, shop owners are calling it a 'Prepper' round an eyeballing people who ask for it. WTF?
Mart shelves are as bare as I have ever seen, of everything useful or common, and as I predicted with crytal ball accuracy- 100 pacl bulk shotgun shells are going, going, gone-

Interesting to see how it continues.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Had the same thing happen here....... Guy checking at Wal-Mart ask me if I was ready for the end of the world....... I bought a 100 box of 12 ga --7 1/2 shot.

Happening to think quickly for once......... Told him, No preparing for chipmunk season when they try to get into the farm buildings and do damage.... And I do shoot 1 or 2 rounds of trap a summer.....
I guess he was satisfied with that.........

Good luck
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM

Don't know how good the info is but a gun counter guy at our Academy Sporting Goods store says the mfrs are running extra shifts. He expects to see shelves restocking by mid summer.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM

UPS man handed me a box of Remington, saw the ORM-D sticker and asked if we hunt; ay-yup... (sure, why not?)... Do y'all hunt deer? nods; on the mainland (coz we ain't allowed here...buggers eat everything people plant but we're not allowed to shoot & eat 'em...).

Since when do delivery drivers care? Granted they're here 5-6 days a week delivering those boxes... but we've waited months for those backorders to get filled. Watched the last 2 boxes of 22LR leave the LGS, this afternoon. At least he's got rifles on the wall - and not all of 'em are closet queens on consignment, either. And the pistol case is full again - with whatever he could find; because he's selling whatever he can find.

I hear tell that Valley Guns - either Winchester, VA or Martinsburg, WV - might have rifle primers and powders. Haven't checked it out yet. Might just trade pistol fixin's for rifle with that friend.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 PM

Shotgun shells have dried up at our local wal-mart where just a month ago they were seemingly unscathed by the panic.....Its like we're living the zombie apocalypse just without the zombies......
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Another reason, is that there are a LOT of first-time, women shooters... and a lot us of bought a .22 pistol to shoot first. (9mm is even more scarce than 22 for the same reason). I saw figures recently, that as many as 2 million women have started shooting in the last year. Our CCW classes run every weekend now (2 different places and a 3rd private class)... and they are full up. We're only at a population of about 35,000 people in our county; guess we're picking up overflow from the county over.

Y'all will be glad to know that the WSJ finally noticed. Article today, said that one manufacturer predicted it'll be a year before they get caught up -- and that they're running so much overtime, they're hiring employees and still not getting caught up. I saw 4 boxes of CCI mini-mags at our LGS yesterday. 4. We left 'em for the next person, as we stocked up before all this started where there was an amazing sale.

And I'm noticing that the "panic" is not over yet. About a month ago we started seeing ammo come back in stock. It's gone again - even at our big dealer. Under the circumstances, I guess everyone feels there's no such thing as "too much ammo"... and since it doesn't "go bad"...

And people are cleaning out the safes -- lots of consignment rifles showing up. Some of these are pretty sweet deals, too.

::shrug::
Thats great News, The more female gun enthuseist the better. Nothing could make me more happy than to have 90 percent of females being pro gun. It would be dang near imposible to pass gun laws. Females get out and vote, and there are a lot of them.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM

LOL...

even my hairdresser's apprentice this year (a female) shoots. If I can ever get caught up, I want to start a chapter of The Well-Armed Woman's Shooting clubs for women. And get NRA-certified to instruct, too. (But I'm still learning right now and not that confident in my skills yet.)

I think I read there are around 5 million women shooting these days. I'm sure that number continues to go up, too.

PS - you'll enjoy this... the wife of LGS owner, runs a jewelry store with a twist: she's also an FFL, and has a case of pistols and maybe 10 rifles on the back wall, holsters, etc. "Gunz & Glitz" is her motto.

Last edited by whitehairedidiot; 04-05-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Can't get .22 around here for love or money. Shelves are empty. Saw some 12 and 20 shotgun loads, but the price was high. Brand new Cabela's in Saginaw, I was lucky to come out with a half-dozen .410 shells. Sad.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 AM

Pretty amazing isn't it? I've never seen such short supplies and incredible demand.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Hubs has gotten lucky this week. Right place, right time kind of thing. If you "like" certain companies on Facebook, you might see a notice of "in stock" or good, almost regular pricing for the caliber ammo you want... the drawback, is that FB tracks that kind of data and associates it with you.

Now granted - hubs gets up way early in the morning (I'm talking like 2:30 or 3, some days)... and he hits a whole list of websites regularly, looking... he's quite methodical and spends an awful lot of time at this. (He really needs to be a professional shopper; he loves bagging unbelievable bargains... sigh.)

Our LGSs, have had 22LR from time to time; it goes out as fast as it comes in. And except for one shop, it's not CCI Stingers, either. But I think he's selling out his own personal inventory; getting close to retiring. Before the panic started, we'd found a great deal on bulk stingers and loaded up at that price, because that's about all I was shooting then. I really do think we need to consider trading with folks - among friends/family - that kind of thing. Friend of mine has rifle primers/powders and needs pistol; we have pistol but need rifle... that kind of thing.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Ammo? Pretty scarce around here. One of the locals, who works in sporting goods at the local WallyWorld, was 'reassigned after he was caught calling/giving his friends a 'heads up' when ammo was avilable for sale.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Default Panic buying

Based upon past experience with other shortages, I'd say that this article from CNS has it about right.

Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up With Demand. .

Mfr statements sound like: producing more than ever; only 5% going to government agencies; working over time; shipping as fast as we can etc.

One point I think makes sense: Hornandy implies that if you don't hear it from them don't count on its veracity.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM

I drive by walmart on the way to work everyday and stop in most days at 7:00.

Today I got 3 100 rd boxes of CCI 40G. Its like a party every morning at 7 am there.

strill no 357. I ll keep stopping in.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Snagged a random box of 38sp. Some of my buds picked up some 22lr and 223 at a random WM we happened to be visiting. Walmart hasn't tweaked their prices too much. I expect they're continuing to use the same mark up as before the shortage.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 AM

Default BB's

Well, let me tell you, if you plan to shoot the sparrows, you betterr nab the BB's. I see there's a mad run on them now since they used BB's or something to make that pressure cooker bomb. Suppose those two items will now be in short supply.

To keep your Red Ryder shootin, you better stock up if you can get em.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Nothin' at the local Wal-marts yet.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 AM

What happens at our wm is they get supplies at night. The gun counter guy doesn't know what he gets until he unlocks the gun storeroom at 630 am. He sells straight of the cart.never gets to the shelves. Gone by 730 or 800. I drive right by on the way to work and see same guys waiting many-mornings. Been looking for 357 for my marlin lever gun for a long long long time.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 PM

Wow... saw around 15 boxes of 9mm in the Walmart case on a Saturday afternoon! Can't remember how long it's been since that was the norm.