BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I didn't notice 9mm but I did see ample quantities of .223 at Cabela's a couple of days ago. I had been told that mid june we should see an easing. I guess the guy was close to correct.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Several WalMart stores in my area have once again began stocking 7.62X39 and .223 ammo, and not just one or two boxes. The other day I was at the one store I frequent and they had about 30 boxes of each with noone waiting to snatch it up. Plus my local hardware store/ gunshop has AR's back in the rack again.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Default (stolen from unknown source)

I thought I'd post this before someone else does....

This morning I lucked out and was able to buy two boxes of ammo at Walmart. I placed the boxes on the front seat and headed back home, but stopped at a gas station where a drop-dead gorgeous blonde in a short skirt was filling up her car at the next pump.

She glanced at the two boxes of ammo, bent over and leaned in my passenger window, and said in a sexy voice, "I'm a big believer in barter, old fella. Would you be interested in trading sex for ammo?" I thought for a few seconds and asked, "What kind of ammo 'ya got?"
Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Hit WM this morning after the rush. Picked up 2 boxes of 45 acp and 2 boxes of S&W 40. Made two trips to the counter at intervals.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
I thought I'd post this before someone else does....

This morning I lucked out and was able to buy two boxes of ammo at Walmart. I placed the boxes on the front seat and headed back home, but stopped at a gas station where a drop-dead gorgeous blonde in a short skirt was filling up her car at the next pump.

She glanced at the two boxes of ammo, bent over and leaned in my passenger window, and said in a sexy voice, "I'm a big believer in barter, old fella. Would you be interested in trading sex for ammo?" I thought for a few seconds and asked, "What kind of ammo 'ya got?"
You dreamer , you
Old 06-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Empty shelves

Both the WalMarts in Madera and Fresno still have empty shelves. I have never seen more then a half a dozen boxes of bird shot there. The local Big 5 isn't much better. The only l place that usually has both 9mm and 22lr is the Sportsmen's Den, our local gun shop. Kind of makes you wonder why the box store's ammo shelves are always empty... So, the bottom line is, support your local gun shop, even if it costs a little more, because they will always be there when you need them.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Default local ammo availability

The amount of pistol ammo in 22lr, 38, 9, 40, 45, and 380 has been increasing in my area, the smaller stores here do have more on the shelves.

Prices are up 5 to 20 percent depending on caliber.

I have seen a ton of 9, 38, 40 and 45; even ammo cans available of 9mm that actually sit for over a week and prices are fair on them.

I have noticed that 357 has benn very hard to find...save your brass and reload. I was at a place that had 6 boxes of good 357, I bought 3 as my limit, there was guy there 'looking' at the other 3 boxes and complaining about the 2 dollar price increase...there are all kinds out there.

....buy it cheap and stack it deep...
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk1941 View Post
Both the WalMarts in Madera and Fresno still have empty shelves. I have never seen more then a half a dozen boxes of bird shot there. The local Big 5 isn't much better. The only l place that usually has both 9mm and 22lr is the Sportsmen's Den, our local gun shop. Kind of makes you wonder why the box store's ammo shelves are always empty... So, the bottom line is, support your local gun shop, even if it costs a little more, because they will always be there when you need them.
We always check the locals first. Need to keep them around!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM

Our local WalMart now has ample 9mm luger, 45acp defensive, 38sp FMJ, 357 mag hollow point. 22LR. . . forget about it.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Bit the bullet(pun intended) yesterday and bought my 3 box limit of Winchester 5.56 at a local Wal-Mart near work. $12.27 a box. I guess this is the new norm in price now. It was $14.xx for the same ammo at the hardware store / gun shop down the road. I'm going to pick up 3 more boxes today at lunchtime. I don't like paying that price for .223 but its on the shelf and I need to top off what I shot up in the last month so oh well. Its only money.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 AM

What is the deal with 22lr?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
What is the deal with 22lr?
Every survivalist and prepper web site quotes it as gospel that the new currency after the collapse of all government will be .22 ammunition.

Everybody wants to be the Donald Trump of .22.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Ammo that I ordered some time ago and which was backordered at reasonable prices has started to arrive. I've pretty much given up traveling around to the various retail outlets to see what they've got.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM

I think the 22lr shortage is more about simple economics.

I expect 22 ammo is somewhat quicker to produce, and obviously uses less materials but it also yields a much lower price per piece made. If I were a manufacturer and had back orders of my "high dollar / high profit" products then I absolutely would be shoving the "low dollar / low profit" product to the bottom of the priority list.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM

My local hardware store/gun shop has more ammo than even Wal-Mart is getting in. PLus they have a 5 box limit per customer. They had a bunch of PMC .223 for $9.xx a box but it was all gone. They also have Independence Israeli 5.56 in the blue box for just about $10 a box. Its coming back.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Every survivalist and prepper web site quotes it as gospel that the new currency after the collapse of all government will be .22 ammunition.

Everybody wants to be the Donald Trump of .22.
Guess there's a lot of people out there prepping to survive by shooting squirrels, eh?

Randal - I was kind of wondering the same thing, i.e., is profit margin significantly lower with .22 then other calibers
Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Default starting to catch up

Inventory beginning to catch up:

My local WalMart has 40SW, 45 auto, 38sp, 357 mag, 9mm Luger, .223, 7.62, hunting rounds, buckshot etc. on the shelves for days now.

Saw some 22mag a few days ago but still no 22LR.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM

I was in Bi-Mart last week buying my Granddaughter a new Henry and their ammo shelves were full.
.22 was in stock but only CCI at $7.95 per 100, 1 box per person per day.
I was in Ranch and Home last night buying a new Sig P938 and they had lots of ammo but the only .22 was match ammo at $15 for 50.
Tried to get the guy to throw in a free box of 9mm but he just laughed.
Bought 50 rounds of 9mm target ammo for $9.95 and a box of 25 hydro-shocks for $30.
Looks like the ammo shortage is easing up some.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Stopped at the ammo counter in wal mart today. They seemed to have quite a bit more than usual, but still no .223. My son is on a job up closer to the city & the wal marts there have had a steady supply for $10.97 a box.

Cablea's sent me an e mail about a week ago they had American Eagle in .223 for $8.99 a box. Not to bad when ya figure the brass ya get to keep has a value of .10 to .15 if ya have to buy once fired for reloading.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 PM

I leisurely stopped by the WM on the way to the range and picked up a few boxes of 40sw, just like in the old days.

They have quite a few boxes of 223 from Russia.

We'll really know things are loosening up when we start seeing 22LR again. That's probably a low profit round for manufacturers.