BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Low profit, HIGH volume.

Remington reported they will have made 1.3 billion rounds of just 22 LR this year. Last year it was 1 billion Rimfire...including the magnums...so that is a HELL of an increase.
That is JUST Remington.......
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM

This past weekend I was in Reno and I figured I would check up on .22LR

Cabela's - Out of stock
Scheel's - Out of stock
Walmart - Out of stock
Big 5 - Out of stock
Sportsman's Warehouse - Out of Stock
Crossroads Gun Show - Minimum $50/brick, looking at $65/brick for good quality ammo

The lack of .22LR is ridiculous. People line up an hour before the ammo counter gets stocked just so they can buy their single brick of ammo or 3 boxes of ammo or whatever. They know the workers by name. The workers know them by name. There is even a fella who lives in an RV outside of a certain Walmart who goes by every morning to see what he can get; I figure he's riding on his bump stops with all the ammo he buys.

Most everything else is coming back in stock, though you will have better luck ordering online. Prices are also starting to fall back down, though I seriously doubt they will ever reach pre-panic levels. If nothing else this scare has proven people are willing to pay almost twice as much as they were a year or so ago. I've seriously reduced how often I go shooting; I've even sold a couple firearms because I don't want to pay to feed them.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Have had no trouble with reloading components for .45 and .30's. Ok, not my Varget powder, but most other powders that I use are fine.

I used to shoot a lot of 22lr at the range, and a little of the .45 and .30's.

Now I only shoot what I reload, and only have shot my .22's to check site accuracy.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM

It has been going on for awhile in most of America, when ir be came known that Homeland security is buying up as much as possible, so law abiding citizen has trouble finding any. ( Gun control thru the back door).

But with a pump and semi 12 gauge, there is plenty of shotgun double 00 buck shells which come in very handy. I enjoy shooting skeet and anyone tries to break in, well the one of my shotties always have 00 loaded.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
It has been going on for awhile in most of America, when ir be came known that Homeland security is buying up as much as possible, so law abiding citizen has trouble finding any. ( Gun control thru the back door).
Panic buying is the only thing causing any shortages.

Everyone started running out and buying all they could get their hands on, and it continues even now.

The small amount the Fed Govt bought is a drop in the bucket
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 PM

It's probably a combination of factors. Government buying more, Panic Buying and also more people are arming themselves so there are more of the new buyers of guns buying and shooting more. Here is an pretty good article somewhat dated but some interesting facts.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmin...n-shortages/3/

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 PM

Red face

We have been down this internet rumor road many times. The reason for the shortage is no the govt. it is the people stocking up. What caliber is in shortest supply ? 22 !!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM

People really need to stop with the " I gotta buy it even if I don't need it" attitude.

Ammo is starting to come back down to reasonable prices. I just saw Independence 5.56 for $7.99 a box at the local hardware/gun store. Still no .22LR though.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Still no .22LR though.
Just Feds buying all those millions of 22's.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 PM

Ammo never went up at the local Wallyworld.

Just picked up 1500 rounds of CCI for the same price as 12-18 months ago.

I am curious though as the shelves and online sites I check were full of .45 a bit back and now it's pretty much all gone.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:25 AM

On a positive note:

What I hear from vendors, who hear from the manufacturers, is that the manufacturers are running like gang busters to keep up with production. LE agencies buy millions of rounds but agencies probably shoot over 1,000 rounds per year per armed officer.

Numbers I've seen indicate around million or so officers while there are 100 million or so (and counting) gun owners. In other words, there are 100 citizens for every LEO. And the 100 citizens are buying up lots of ammo.

Which, by deduction, means that if the LEO agencies will have to think long and hard about collecting the arms from the people.

In other words, ammo shortages = a good thing.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM

One thing it has taught everyone is, there is no more room to be complacent. I know plenty of gun owners who never kept any more ammunition around than what they could shoot on any given trip to the range. Well those people have learned that mindset won't work in todays world. Either you stockpiled to get you through the dry spells or you have weapons you can't use because yo udon't have ammo. Problem is as I mentioned earlier people are still panic buying and not all those people are low or out of ammo.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 PM

Most calibers are coming back. From what I've witnessed locally, .22lr, .357 and .38 are the hottest of the calibers.

I think .357 and .38 special are hard to find mostly because no one around here stocks a lot of it at any one time. They will get in a case a month or so.

9mm comes and goes. It's pretty readily available online. Same with 12 gauge, .30-30, and .223/5.56

.22lr is absolutely available! If you are willing to pay $70 per brick or so... Wallyworld gets it in on a semi-regular basis, but the only way to score some is get there at 7am when they start stocking shelves. If only it weren't for that whole "having to be at work" thing...
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 PM

Got to the local Wallyworld last sat. about 9am. Several boxes of 45acp, 40, 357, 38, 9mm in the case but no 22. Ask the clerk if they had gotten any in. He said they just had a late truck come in. Wife and I got 600 rds of CCI mini mag at 7.40 per 100. Clerk said he would recognize my twin brother if he came back by in 20 minutes.

Local pawn shop had some Mexican 22 for $64 a brick, no limit. They had sold 64 of 100 bricks.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 PM

Anyone ever use the Mexican .22LRs? Never ran across them here.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:59 AM

I have fired about 100 or so Aguila 22lr..... A couple boxes, I guess...
Was a number of years ago, and don't remember them as being anything special..... Standard velocity, dependable, accurate enough.... Should work well enough.... They also make a bunch of CB caps, shorts, and low power/noise loads... Have no experience with them.... And have heard no reviews of these loads....

A longer while ago than that, I got to shoot a LOT of bulk (6000 per case) of Russian 22lr.... Again it was standard velocity, worked well, and accurate enough....

Only problem with it at that time.... It had an outside lube that was kind of wax like or kind of petroleum jelly like..... It could be different from case to case.... Some firearms worked better with this ammo than others.... I was using it in a 10-22 with no problems.... No problems loading, firing, extracting.... But I did have to clean magazines a little more often... And wipe your hands more often....

Good luck...
Old 01-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleDave View Post
Anyone ever use the Mexican .22LRs? Never ran across them here.
Aguila in my experience is about the same as Remington Golden Bullets (read: cheap), but dirtier. Their powder quality is pretty poor, especially on their short shotgun shells. I've seen several reports on people having to clean their shotgun after 30-40 of those shells.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Default 22lr in stock

I was at the wholesale house last week and they had Rem 22lr 500 packs. I could have grabbed a case to have on hand for customers but didn't want to drop $300.00 on 10 boxes. My cost would have been a little less, but almost no profit unless I had 10 cases to move. Diesel is $4.24 gallon so the round trip cost me $8.50.

I was in the area so the stop was not out of my way. I still can't get any 125 gr & 150gr FN 30 cal bullets. Sold the last 2 bags way back in April of 2013.
what is sad. It is one bullet I could always get and always had sitting around till the big scare of 2013.

The one thing that is scarce is percussion caps. I tried all last year to get some for the state association and never could find 10 or 20 k to purchase.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Default Mfrs love the retail market

This morning I had a conversation with a friend of mine who just returned from his Glock Armorer / Instructor training in Atlanta (yes, color me JEALOUS ).

He had an opportunity to chat with a sales rep from a major ammo manufacturer -- this rep has the government accounts so he knows the big numbers. I suppose this is 4th party information:

According to this rep, the gov't agencies aren't the preferred ammo buyers because they bargain the price down so low. The govt purchasers have to order 11 months in advance,which explains some of their huge orders. He mentioned that one "unit" requires their people to run 50,000 rounds per year per person. Each person has to deliver 100% accuracy when testing.

The manufacturers are cranking as hard as they can to keep up with the growing consumer demand. In other words, don't look for relief any time soon. It may never be like it used to be.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
It may never be like it used to be.
I think it will be.
A big part of this "shortage" is from panic buying.

If people would just stop grabbing everything they see, even if they don't need it, you'd see supplies start to catch up with realistic demands.

Also, if it stays this way long enough, it will be cost effective for manufacturers to add production equipment, or for new manufacturers to start