BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I think it will be.
A big part of this "shortage" is from panic buying.
It's also more people arming themselves and that's a good thing.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1gman View Post
It's also more people arming themselves and that's a good thing.
gun sales are up. I also think many citizens are saying "I'm not getting caught with my pants down again" so they're stock piling more than they used to. I've talked to several who used to think that a couple of hundred rounds was a lot of ammo. Now, they realize that a couple of hundred rounds is barely a good trip to the range.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
According to this rep, the gov't agencies aren't the preferred ammo buyers because they bargain the price down so low. The govt purchasers have to order 11 months in advance.....
Govt agencies don't bargain. Except in limited emergency situations like natural disasters govt purchases are all competitive bid which means the manufacturers freely offered their best price.
The govt ammo sales are requirements type contracts which mean they buy ammo when they need it.

Bottom line is the shortage is all due to hoarding and panic buying by regular citizens and no one else. Proof is that what is short is 22 ammo.

For the month or so the local wm has everything in stock but 22's.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Bottom line is the shortage is all due to hoarding and panic buying by regular citizens and no one else. Proof is that what is short is 22 ammo.
Interesting. Why do you think people are only panic buying 22 ammo? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the regular citizen was panic buying they would be buying all calibers? Not just 22? I think that it is a combination of panic buying and using the 22 for target practice, range shooting instead of the high dollar larger calibers? And that a lot of people are deciding that a 22 is a good purchase for a first time gun owner and it is a good survival choice so they are buying 22 rifles and 22 ammo. Too bad we don't have the number of 22 rifles that have been sold in the past 2-3 years.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Why do you think people are only panic buying 22 ammo?
They're panic buying everything, but almost every gun owner has at least one 22, and they are the cheapest firearms to practice with.

Very few go out and shoot 50 rounds through a high powered rifle, but 50 in a 22 can just take an hour or less

If folks would stop paying the ridiculous prices for a few months, they would drop
Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1gman View Post
Interesting. Why do you think people are only panic buying 22 ammo? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the regular citizen was panic buying they would be buying all calibers? Not just 22? I think that it is a combination of panic buying and using the 22 for target practice, range shooting instead of the high dollar larger calibers? And that a lot of people are deciding that a 22 is a good purchase for a first time gun owner and it is a good survival choice so they are buying 22 rifles and 22 ammo. Too bad we don't have the number of 22 rifles that have been sold in the past 2-3 years.
They did panic buy everything. Forints there was nothing available in any caliber .
Only now the las t month or two have things changed.
22 is only thing left in shortage.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:08 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/news...les/index.html
Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
It's all in the spin.

CNN Headline says: "Gun Sales Are Plunging"

My headline says "January 2014 Is Second Highest January Since 1998"
This January may not have been higher than last January but it was still far higher than ANY other January.

Since the current king began his reign we've had a pronounced upward trend in instant checks. As part of that trend, we will have spikes.

Download the report if you would like.
(Note: This report includes ALL background checks, even the ones for explosives. The link for the guns only report doesn't work right and takes you to a state by state accounting).

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
It's all in the spin.

CNN Headline says: "Gun Sales Are Plunging"

My headline says "January 2014 Is Second Highest January Since 1998"
This January may not have been higher than last January but it was still far higher than ANY other January.

Since the current king began his reign we've had a pronounced upward trend in instant checks. As part of that trend, we will have spikes.

Download the report if you would like.
(Note: This report includes ALL background checks, even the ones for explosives. The link for the guns only report doesn't work right and takes you to a state by state accounting).
You are right . they said that in the article in the body . I would suspect I there were another shooting or action the would be another spike. Headlines are always that way. Did you note ammo sales figures for the govt ?

Last edited by MissouriFree; 02-16-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 PM

Stopped by Fleet Farm to grab some stuff, saw that they had about a dozen boxes of Blazer 22lr and Bulk Rem. Picked up a box of Blazers. Now I can actually shoot some at the range this summer, felt good.

(I have plenty - but don't like to shoot much if I can't replenish min\max levels)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Stopped by Fleet Farm to grab some stuff, saw that they had about a dozen boxes of Blazer 22lr and Bulk Rem. Picked up a box of Blazers. Now I can actually shoot some at the range this summer, felt good.

(I have plenty - but don't like to shoot much if I can't replenish min\max levels)
If you don't mind, what were they charging per brick and bulk?

22lr is beginning to come available in my area but at $50\65 per brick.

I think some are sitting on high priced ammo now and trying not to loose money on it.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Still no .22 at my local Wal-Mart. Was there over the weekend just as the clerk was putting out about a dozen boxes of federal 9mm. I'm getting sick of .22 never being on the shelves. Wish people would just stop the panic buying and let things calm down. I can find .223 and 7.62X39 pretty easily these days, however. 22 forget it. And that's the only cartridge I'd like to stock up on.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 PM

Default .22 lr is around

I sold 5 boxes of Remington this past week to friends. It was in stock at the warehouse last week but I didn't pick up anymore. I don't like the price and I should look past that, pick up a few cases to sell. I charged these guys $37.00 for 525 copper plated HP's.

They called me cause it beats driving around looking for cartridges. I'll get them in then the guys come pick em up.

I've not seen any Winchesters. cci in quite a long time.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
I sold 5 boxes of Remington this past week to friends. It was in stock at the warehouse last week but I didn't pick up anymore. I don't like the price and I should look past that, pick up a few cases to sell. I charged these guys $37.00 for 525 copper plated HP's.

They called me cause it beats driving around looking for cartridges. I'll get them in then the guys come pick em up.

I've not seen any Winchesters. cci in quite a long time.
Wished I lived closer to you so I could get a couple bricks from you. All I want is to have enough for plinking and target practice for the summer. I have 1.5 bricks now but don't want to use them up.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Default To much money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
If you don't mind, what were they charging per brick and bulk?

22lr is beginning to come available in my area but at $50\65 per brick.

I think some are sitting on high priced ammo now and trying not to loose money on it.
IMO as an FFL.
50 to 60$ per brick of 500-550 ctgs. is over the top. I use to pay that for target 22's . In today's market if you have to pay over $40.00 for the avg .22lr then you're paying to much.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 AM

J R - I think it was around the $35 range. I hate to say it, I didn't really look. But, the Fleet Farm total was around $80, and I purchased two surplus wool pants for $25, a few pair of wool socks, and a packet of creme savers (have to keep the Chick happy). Definitely not over $40.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM

A friend of mine just got a 550 rnd box of .22 at the local gun shop this week. $70 ea. He got 2 boxes.

For me that's too much, but for him it was all he could find. Everywhere around here has been out for so long that there are no other prices to compete with. I say he messed up by running out in the first place
Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 PM

My local Wal mart had 17 bricks of Federal 550 count 22 hollowpoint ammo on the shelf today. I bought two bricks. They were $23.97 each. Your buddy got seriously ripped off paying $70 each.....No way I'd pay that.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
My local Wal mart had 17 bricks of Federal 550 count 22 hollowpoint ammo on the shelf today. I bought two bricks. They were $23.97 each. Your buddy got seriously ripped off paying $70 each.....No way I'd pay that.
I honesty believe ther is a lot of scalping going on right now with 22 LR ammunition. Wal-Mart buys on contract in large quantities and they have sold at reasonable prices. But go to your local WM at 7am every morning and you will find the same group waiting for them bring in the ammunition shipment. I know some of these guys and they work for local gun shops.

I suspect that the distributes and sub distributers are sitting on some high priced inventory and are doing all they can to keep the price up. Some of the locals are just sending a flunky down to pick up what he can. If you can pick up a brick for $24 and sell it for $50 you can pay a guy $10 an hour to see what he can pick up each morning and still make a profit.
Free enterprise.

This is not intended to be a slurr at Black Powder Bill or any other dealer that doesn't like to charge his customers what the product costs him plus a small profit.

JMO
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM

Struck out again looking for .22 cartridges. We only go to town twice a month, and while there I will take a look at Wal-Mart, Dunhams (chain sporting goods store), and a good sized local gun shop.

Nothing........

Nickathome gave me some faith being he said he found some at Wal-Mart in Pa somewhere - but......nothing.........