BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Question Would you haul for Walmart?

Yahoo News:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclus...072233473.html

" SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT) is considering a radical plan to have store customers deliver packages to online buyers, a new twist on speedier delivery services that the company hopes will enable it to better compete with Amazon.com Inc (AMZN).
Tapping customers to deliver goods would put the world's largest retailer squarely in middle of a new phenomenon sometimes known as "crowd-sourcing," or the "sharing economy."
A plethora of start-ups now help people make money by renting out a spare room, a car, or even a cocktail dress, and Wal-Mart would in effect be inviting people to rent out space in their vehicle and their willingness to deliver packages to others. "

Sure for a discount on my regular purchases, I'd drop something off to a neighbor on my way home. Many I know would do that for free anyway if asked!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Sign up as a regulae truck driver---they make good money and a very safe driving record.

I wouldnt help WM deliver a fresh breath of air.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 PM

I would work just about any job if it helped the family and we needed the money. I guess it would depend on how much they were willing to pay.
Annie, Wall Mart is not the enemy, the people that shop there are. But with that said, the people that shop there can't afford to shop anywhere else. Our unions have to share some of the blame also
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 AM

Lawyers should love this.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
I would work just about any job if it helped the family and we needed the money. I guess it would depend on how much they were willing to pay.
Annie, Wall Mart is not the enemy, the people that shop there are. But with that said, the people that shop there can't afford to shop anywhere else. Our unions have to share some of the blame also
You ever work for them?
I did---6 years.

Most folks are unaware of the seriously poor treatment of their associates---I had to have a job---over-nites paid more----

But to each his own opinion.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 AM

The greed of Walmart knows no bounds. Would I pick-up items for my elderly neighbor while I was "in town" shopping at a store I normally frequent? Yes. Would I enable corporate greed, hell no. Walmart has peaked and has started a downhill slide. I say good bye and good riddance. They are worse than a drug cartel.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 AM

Those nasty capitalist, darn them and thier success . Congress should pass a law. Darn them.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Those nasty capitalist, darn them and thier success . Congress should pass a law. Darn them.
LOL!

Walmart has made a significant impact on the entire world economy. Some consequences good. Some bad.

For example: I don't shop for scrip drugs often but I notice that there are pharmacies offering $4 prescriptions. I don't know for sure but I'll venture a guess that Wal-Mart started that program.

And I'll bet that if Wal-Mart had been around the Donner party would have made it across the divide.

As to the point of whether or not they're a good employer -- even if we stipulate that they're a lousy employer, lousy beats none. Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair to put it into better perspective.

What I don't like (WM is merely a symptom, not the cause) are the cubic acres of flimsy, disposable merchandise they offer. Most of the stuff will not last long enough to make it to a garage sale. But throw away merchandise is exactly what we would expect from a society which kills babies by the hundreds of thousands.

But I digress. . . I would happily haul merchandise for my neighbors. Why not build relationships long since neglected by our mobile, yet tethered society?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM

You speak to flimsy stuff they sell---you ought to open the huge boxes from Nam--little girls clothes---Stink--OMG---I have been sliced and diced by the plastic junk----

Here's a clue to my reasoning---WM is a huge receiver of welfare money through the grocery/baby dept.(No their not the only ones) but would they be this huge without tax dollars in their coffers? NO!!!!

I have and do pick up things for others also -----but buy very few groceries--mostly paper products----

Again---I wouldnt deliever a thing for them.

Dont you folks remember when the Mom and Pop stores delivered?????
WM ran them out of business--NOW they want to go back to that tradition?
Bull mahockey.

Txanne
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:

MoF
Its nothing to do with capitalism---its a monopoly---didnt the gooberment step and break up the phone companies?

We have a Texas tradition that has stood up to WM--HEB's a grocery chain--that beats WM''s
prices in most areas---and they have great meat and lots of price breaks on many products.

I am all for free enterprise----but not greedy huge conglomerates that starve out the little guys.
This is a case of you cant fight the Big Boys--they have more money and lawyers.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
MoF
Its nothing to do with capitalism---its a monopoly---didnt the gooberment step and break up the phone companies?

We have a Texas tradition that has stood up to WM--HEB's a grocery chain--that beats WM''s
prices in most areas---and they have great meat and lots of price breaks on many products.

I am all for free enterprise----but not greedy huge conglomerates that starve out the little guys.
This is a case of you cant fight the Big Boys--they have more money and lawyers.
Any think about what you just said. How did your Texas company stay on top ? By out competing WM . The same thing Walmart does. That is the free market and that is capitalism . There is no monopoly in the least. To many people confuse winning with a monopoly. No one is starved out . They are beat at the cash register. You may not like them based on your personnal history but they are a tremendously successfully free market enterprise and they got that way by selling what people want at a price they want.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-29-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Wally World can pay their own shipping. They can certainly afford it. I quit shopping there a long time ago and refuse to set foot in their stores. Their food is way over priced in general, they kept moving everything to the point I just gave up. I don't need to play "mystery tour" every time I go shopping. The blaring and screeching from their public address system was horrible. Nope, not interested in anything they have. There is a Kmart just down the way from Wally...quiet, CLEAN, well organzed, and generally they have lower prices than that other place. Much calmer place to shop.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Any think about what you just said. How did your Texas company stay on top ? By out competing WM . The same thing Walmart does. That is the free market and that is capitalism . There is no monopoly in the least. To many people confuse winning with a monopoly. No one is starved out . They are beat at the cash register. You may not like them based on your personnal history but they are a tremendously successfully free market enterprise and they got that way by selling what people want at a price they want.
MoF
It started out as a little store in San Antonio--customer service was a major point and still is.

I have never waited for more than a few minutes to be checked out---an employee will gladly help you and YOU CAN FIND ONE.

You are correct---but the company had stayed in the State----

I think people JUST thought they wanted the cheap crap told at WM---now they are beginning to see-maybe it was't after all.

God Bless Mr.Sam---He started his business--saying made in America----thats how they got t toe hole--now Mr.Sam is gone and WM is no longer honoring His comment to excellence and his employees.

A sad legacy to a man with an idea----that has turned into a sham.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askew View Post
Wally World can pay their own shipping. They can certainly afford it. I quit shopping there a long time ago and refuse to set foot in their stores. Their food is way over priced in general, they kept moving everything to the point I just gave up. I don't need to play "mystery tour" every time I go shopping. The blaring and screeching from their public address system was horrible. Nope, not interested in anything they have. There is a Kmart just down the way from Wally...quiet, CLEAN, well organzed, and generally they have lower prices than that other place. Much calmer place to shop.
Askew
And that is a nightmare to employees----to move whole departments in one night---and put up their freight for the night.

I won best over/nite associate in customer service for the year. Put up an average of 7-11 hours of freight overnite----But my customers came first---because I knew what it is to be a customer and what they put in that basket was my salary.

Txanne
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
MoF

God Bless Mr.Sam---He started his business--saying made in America----thats how they got t toe hole--now Mr.Sam is gone and WM is no longer honoring His comment to excellence and his employees.

interestingly todays is his birthday
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
interestingly todays is his birthday
Tks MoF

I met him years ago when he opened his store in Robstown Tx----very humble man and he looked you in the eye when he talked to you. A true gentleman.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM

Pick up something for a neighbor while I was there..... Sure, anytime. Regardless of whether it is WM or any other store......

Have them give me an address of a stranger to deliver to...... NO way in hell.
Someone is going to get there butt in a jam over this, and WM is big enough to side step any responsibility/liability in it.......

Good luck
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Pick up something for a neighbor while I was there..... Sure, anytime. Regardless of whether it is WM or any other store......

Have them give me an address of a stranger to deliver to...... NO way in hell.
Someone is going to get there butt in a jam over this, and WM is big enough to side step any responsibility/liability in it.......

Good luck
Yep! My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Tks MoF

I met him years ago when he opened his store in Robstown Tx----very humble man and he looked you in the eye when he talked to you. A true gentleman.
Not sure when they started putting junk in their stores but I know that the bike I bought my 5 year son in 1987 was JUNK pure and simply. I priced the bike at Kmart and it was 20 more so I got the one that I though was almost the exact same bike. Nope found out to late it had no brakes. Who the heck sells bikes for kids with no coaster brakes? The one at Kmart had coaster brakes. Learned real quick back then that Walmart did not mean better. I avoid them as much as I can now. Kmart lost my business when Rosie became their spokesperson and they stopped selling ammo.

But to answer the question if I had to feed my family yes I would work for them. Would not let pride get in my way of feeding the family.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 AM

To feed my family I would work any job I could find including working at wal-mart.

I do not shop there and wouldn't unless I have no other options. It has been almost a year since my bf has taken me to wander the aisles with him and even longer since I have spent any money there. We use Winco for groceries. It's an employee owned company and their customer service is great. Their produce and meat is fresher than wal-mart and their food prices are cheaper too.