BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I wouldn't work at Walmart to feed my family - plenty of other jobs that pay better and in reality would not be as demeaning. The other jobs would not be subsidized aka corporate welfare. No benefits from wally either so that'd be a wash. Walmart has peaked and is now on the downhill slide. Customer service stinks. Manager bonuses based on low payroll = few checkers and unstocked shelves (unless store is near HQ). Crap merchandise from China. Lack of options in the grocery department and lack of week to week availability of products. Soon we'll hear of "*mart" - the state run Chinese version of walmart.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM

I should have expected a LOT of WAY off topic posts.
I'm sure at least SOME people read the article, or at least the SMALL quote I posted.

For more clarification, the question was NOT would you work for Walmart,
the question was NOT would you shop at Walmart.

The question was would you pick up a package from Walmart and deliver it to someone?

Personally, I am rarely in our local store. Other places get more of my business. The local Kmart is a ghost town. Rarely do I see more than 5 employees or 5 customers in there. I'm surprised that is is still open.
Most people in my area are decent folks and I'd drop off something to them that they ordered. I've gone out of my way for many that I did not know for nothing, so doing that for a little something is alright with me.

Love them or hate them, I've seen many many many of the same products in other stores, with the same brand label. Made in the same place.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Not sure when they started putting junk in their stores but I know that the bike I bought my 5 year son in 1987 was JUNK pure and simply. I priced the bike at Kmart and it was 20 more so I got the one that I though was almost the exact same bike. Nope found out to late it had no brakes. Who the heck sells bikes for kids with no coaster brakes? The one at Kmart had coaster brakes. Learned real quick back then that Walmart did not mean better. I avoid them as much as I can now. Kmart lost my business when Rosie became their spokesperson and they stopped selling ammo.

But to answer the question if I had to feed my family yes I would work for them. Would not let pride get in my way of feeding the family.
Bones
I worked there to feed myself---I was in my mid 60's---it was a job---it was honest work and NO I didnt have to go on welfare----your right--work is work if your hungary---but hey--welfare ho-hos aint ----catch 22 huh?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
Love them or hate them, I've seen many many many of the same products in other stores, with the same brand label. Made in the same place.
Compare weight to price on a lot of walmart's stuff....they are not cheaper. A majority of their stuff is special packaged with less but for the same price elsewhere.... dogfood comes to mind....35# bag at Walmart, same brand 40# at the feed store.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
I wouldn't work at Walmart to feed my family - plenty of other jobs that pay better and in reality would not be as demeaning. The other jobs would not be subsidized aka corporate welfare. No benefits from wally either so that'd be a wash. Walmart has peaked and is now on the downhill slide. Customer service stinks. Manager bonuses based on low payroll = few checkers and unstocked shelves (unless store is near HQ). Crap merchandise from China. Lack of options in the grocery department and lack of week to week availability of products. Soon we'll hear of "*mart" - the state run Chinese version of walmart.
You are right on stone-cold.
The year I retired they dropped hours to part-time---Top brass bought his daughter a new Lexus for graduation-----we didnt get a bonus for almost 9 mos.
And they dropped back to 50 ct raise once a year at evaluation---nomore merit raises or i would have make some pretty good money.

WM makes money twice off JQ Citizen----the working class pay taxes/buy there/the taxes
are paided in out in welfare an then---paid---to WM for WIC/SNAP ETC ETC.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I , I've seen many many many of the same products in other stores, with the same brand label. Made in the same place.
Great point . I just don't understand this hatred. They are selling the same thing as al stores at good prices. There are four other food stores in my town. Best food prices are at Aldi. Best wrangler jean prices are at walmart. Best carhart prices are at family center.
People shop smart no matter where or at least they do if they are smart.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Great point . I just don't understand this hatred. They are selling the same thing as al stores at good prices. There are four other food stores in my town. Best prices are at Aldi. Best wrangler jean prices are at walmart. Best cathartic prices are at family center.
People shop smart.
Not hatred--good old American disgust.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
So why are people disgusted at getting the same products at better prices than most places? Free enterprise is what we clamor for with the govt but why is walmart do critiqued under the same set of rules?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:

WM makes money twice off JQ Citizen----the working class pay taxes/buy there/the taxes
are paided in out in welfare an then---paid---to WM for WIC/SNAP ETC ETC.
So does every other grocery store including the one you talked about in Texas I bet. So whatsoever the big deal? So why single them out when they do the same thing as al others.

Sound to me like there is a little bit of the Occupy Wall street ears in every one when it comes to any big bussiness.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-31-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 AM

OW must have kicked you out otherwise you just have an obsession with OW. I'll check back with you in a couple of years. Been quite entertaining reading about KS and MO.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
With more and more of us disgusted with each passing day.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
So does every other grocery store including the one you talked about in Texas I bet. So whatsoever the big deal? So why single them out when they do the same thing as al others.

Sound to me like there is a little bit of the Occupy Wall street ears in every one when it comes to any big bussiness.
You know me better than that----come on now.

I RETIRED from WM----I was one of the highly respected stockers----I DID my job---top evaluations-----noone ever had to say a word to me---Hence my disgust with them.
Use to when you got picked as a Top employee--you got an extra days pay--a gift card or something----I was told when I asked---what was the prize this year(the last yr I worked)
I was told you get nothig---you get to keep your job.

But wait----the ones that I was forced to go help because they didnt do their jobs----got to keep theirs also----Yeah it was a very unfair---But I felt at peace--I did my job.

Last edited by Txanne; 03-31-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You know me better than that----come on now.

I RETIRED from WM----I was one of the highly respected stockers----I DID my job---top evaluations-----noone ever had to say a word to me---Hence my disgust with them.
Use to when you got picked as a Top employee--you got an extra days pay--a gift card or something----I was told when I asked---what was the prize this year(the last yr I worked)
I was told you get nothig---you get to keep your job.

But wait----the ones that I was forced to go help because they didnt do their jobs----got to keep theirs also----Yeah it was a very unfair---But I felt at peace--I did my job.
I was only talking about the comment about snap welfare taxes etc. I revised that post to clarify.
That is what I meant.

I won't carry this any further as it is bordering on political comment. Wish some of those poster would visit us down below wherever we could carry the discussion further.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-31-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 PM

Wow !!! I guess there are more of you all than i thought!

Quote:

(CNN) - A man plowed a car through the front doors of a Walmart store in California Sunday, then attacked customers with a blunt object, police said.

The suspect drove more than 10 feet into a store in San Jose, California, got out of the car and began assaulting people, San Jose Police Officer Albert Morales said.

"He almost ran me over. ... He was in there to hurt people," one shaken witness told CNN affiliate KTVU.

Four people were injured, one seriously, Morales said.

The CNN affiliate showed video of the deep red Oldsmobile that had smashed into a beer display, leaving boxes and cans of Budweiser scattered on the Walmart store's floor.

The suspect was arrested on assault charges and remained in police custody Sunday afternoon, Morales said.

His motive was unclear, Morales said, but police believe drugs or alcohol may have been involved.
Most have the bike or maybe he couldn't find the bread!!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/31/justic...end-homepage-t
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM

MOF

Walmart overnites was a trip----folks having sex in the mens dept.---Drug over-dosed folks keeling over---kids(teens) tearing up the toys dept playing----stealing was rampart and we couldnt touch them.
Co mgr. and I stopped a man with 3 big tv's from going out the side Er doors--there was a van waiting out those doors.
Ladies---going to cosmectics--making up their faces and going merrily off to work.

It was said that WM had become the poor folks Mall-- and WM was scared to death of being sued.

Yeah---us bad working folks----had to contend with danger to ourselves.
bad--people bad---just take it and shut up.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Angry This is NOT a Walmart Thread.

Quote:
I should have expected a LOT of WAY off topic posts.
I'm sure at least SOME people read the article, or at least the SMALL quote I posted.

For more clarification, the question was NOT would you work for Walmart,
the question was NOT would you shop at Walmart.

The question was would you pick up a package from Walmart and deliver it to someone?
Love them or hate them this thread was NOT about Walmart.
Silly me for thinking people would stay on topic.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You've been around here long enough to know that "walmart" is a hot button and that certain people here are going to bash that company at every mention of the name.

Just sayin'.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarDude View Post
You've been around here long enough to know that "walmart" is a hot button and that certain people here are going to bash that company at every mention of the name.

Just sayin'.
And your going to bash those people--we're on to you also.
you never fail to be terse and degrading to folks on here----we aint playing Dude.

Last edited by Txanne; 04-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
David
We tried--but all threads hit rabbit trails and saying WHY you wouldnt work for them is part of the thread---insight in case someone is thinking about going to work for China Mart.

Honest---down to earth opinions-----I am sorry we dont meet perfectioness---but hey at least we read your threads huh?

Aint all bad----Respectfully
Txanne
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM

The thread is titled "Would you haul for Walmart?"...
Everyone gave their opinions one way or another and why... but it's not about Walmart?

Seriously. What is it that you are asking or wanting to know? I'm not being facetious just trying to understand.