BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Yeah, silly me.
Thinking y'all might say why you would HAUL PACKAGES for a neighbor..... or not.....
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
Yeah, silly me.
Thinking y'all might say why you would HAUL PACKAGES for a neighbor..... or not.....
If a neighbor needed me to pick up something for them yeah!!!!

But David-----You would have tobe bonded/insured/drug tested/and maybe even have to deal with the Texas DOT----cartage rules may apply.

I think its a kettle of fish I wouldnt want to even get into----and whos to say that you wouldnt be accussed of NOT deliviering---there's some strange folks out there---and WM is short cutting the system for profit---WHICH they have the right todo---but not at the expense of my truck/insurance and the price of gas.
And WM isnt going to pay much---it would jack up the price of goods.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarDude
You've been around here long enough to know that "walmart" is a hot button and that certain people here are going to bash that company at every mention of the name.

Just sayin'.

So what? If it galls you so much to read people's replies, why do you respond to them? Most people just ignore things they don't like or agree with. If people want to gripe about Wal Mart, they can.

And to answer the OP's question whether or not I would deliver packages for Wal Mart... no. I would not put myself at risk for the pittance they would pay.

Like Bones said, it's potentially one lawsuit after another-- people would claim all manner of things and Wal Mart would protect itself and not the people doing the delivering (secret--that's how corporations keep from making large settlement payouts--they cover their own asses and not those of their 'employees'). It's not hard to predict given the cultural and moral rot that is so pervasive in our society. I predict accusations ranging from theft of merchandise to trespassing, house breaking, physical assault and rape. Nope, wouldn't touch that with a 40 ft. pole.

What would they do about taxes? 1099 everyone who delivers a package for them?

The whole plan sounds terribly misguided. Like back when WalMart decided to try getting into the used car business.... what a fiasco that was.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:53 PM

Molly pitcher

I just read a bad consumer on msn.com about customer dis-satisfaction.

One Excuetive put it this way----they may have the best prices,but if its not on the shelves or any employess to help you--then how can you calm to be at the top---Target bet out WM--81% to 71% approval rating.

And btw---what happened to all those Veterans job they promised?
But I can see it now--Navy Seal in the Hunting dept. Or stocking infants.
And that would be part-time at minumin wage.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Last year or before my answer would have been 'YES'
but now--because I leave the store in disgust of not finding my items
or most often empty shelves--NO!

This is not the Wal Mart of Sam Walton but
the WM of corporate greed!

Stores used to be clean and fairly well organized and manned--
sadly--not today! All is overlooked and their drive is for the bonuses of
managers and corporate.
We have no K-marts now for several years here in my area and Target
often has an 'attitude' so if and when the notion strikes that i just need
to buy junk I am left with Dollar Stores.
My daughter was a cashier for WM for over 5 years and was making almost
$11 bucks an hour but once she left Tulsa and transferred back 'home' the
world changed and not for the better. Lucky for her that the Parks and Rec
Dept had an opening so she and WM said their good byes. She liked WM while
in Okla but once here and with policy changes--not so much.
Perhaps somewhere in that 300 mile difference there is an attitude change--???
She doesnt fault them because when she needed a job--they gave her one.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 AM

I seldom go to WM. I do get my prescriptions there because they are the cheapest on drugs that have no generic. But to shop for food, no. Their prices are higher on most things than the two local grocery stores. And their meat is not good quality, regardless of what they advertise. Clothing, shoes/boots, housewares etc. that I buy new (a rare thing) is either Target, Sears, or JC Penny when I'm in DFW, because those stores have a much better selection than WM. The shoe dept. at WM is a joke. If you want something other than flip flops with bling on them, or black vinyl shoes, or white vinyl shoes, you have to go elsewhere. I can't stand vinyl shoes.

Dollar General is actually my preferred place to go if I only need a few things. I usually go there to buy milk, bread, soda, basic grocery and medicine items (often cheaper than WM) and that's where I buy all my cleaning/laundry/tp type stuff. I don't buy junk anywhere, and that includes Dollar General, but it's much closer than WM and the prices are either the same, WM being their closest competition, or less than WM.

Annie, I used to work for a large retail farm store, and I believe they actually structure their store operations according to what WM does. I was told that the majority of people hired by that store used to work at WM. In fact, when I was hired, the corporate office had a heck of a time with my job application because I came from a background of being self employed for so many years that I basically had no 'job history' to speak of. I provided all manner of documentation for them, tax returns, 1099s, business and personal references, to prove I was self employed, but they just couldn't get their minds around it---someone who *didn't* work at WM!! Must have been practically unheard of!!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Last year or before my answer would have been 'YES'
but now--because I leave the store in disgust of not finding my items
or most often empty shelves--NO!

This is not the Wal Mart of Sam Walton but
the WM of corporate greed!

Stores used to be clean and fairly well organized and manned--
sadly--not today! All is overlooked and their drive is for the bonuses of
managers and corporate.
We have no K-marts now for several years here in my area and Target
often has an 'attitude' so if and when the notion strikes that i just need
to buy junk I am left with Dollar Stores.
My daughter was a cashier for WM for over 5 years and was making almost
$11 bucks an hour but once she left Tulsa and transferred back 'home' the
world changed and not for the better. Lucky for her that the Parks and Rec
Dept had an opening so she and WM said their good byes. She liked WM while
in Okla but once here and with policy changes--not so much.
Perhaps somewhere in that 300 mile difference there is an attitude change--???
She doesnt fault them because when she needed a job--they gave her one.

It depends on the store location----the one in Liberty has no Competition---pays the lowest of most Wm's---now Lumberton pays more cause they have the big city competition.

Yes they gave me a job and I was grateful---LOVED my freight-----but when all the policy changes as Johnny says it went to hell in a hand basket-----we couldnt get a raise or our bonus but the big shot heirs bought a $3,000,000 painting at an auction.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 PM

Default would u haul for walmart

SmaRt on not buying Thier fresh meat. It's treated with that stuff you embalm folks with to keep it looking fresh longer. Haven't bought fresh(ahem)meat there since I found that out.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Master Pontificator

Wal-Mart moved into one of our very rural parishes (counties to the rest of you) and virtually put every small competing business out of business. Then WM decided there was not enough business for them in this rural parish, so they closed the doors and moved on. The parish virtually lost its entire tax base over night. I don't think they ever want to see another WM in their parish, never ever again!

The things I learned through my employment, made me quit using Wm as a place to shop a long time ago.

Sam Walton's motto was Made in America, Sell Made in America. The children's motto is pretty much To H e double l, with America, sell Made in CHINA! China Mart is what they are known by around here.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Wal-Mart moved into one of our very rural parishes (counties to the rest of you) and virtually put every small competing business out of business. Then WM decided there was not enough business for them in this rural parish, so they closed the doors and moved on. The parish virtually lost its entire tax base over night. I don't think they ever want to see another WM in their parish, never ever again!

The things I learned through my employment, made me quit using Wm as a place to shop a long time ago.

Sam Walton's motto was Made in America, Sell Made in America. The children's motto is pretty much To H e double l, with America, sell Made in CHINA! China Mart is what they are known by around here.
Sam was no saint but his children are nothing better than trust fund babies.

Some of us will live long enough to see Walmart cease to exist. They failed to heed "be careful of what you wish for".
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM

Just wondering...

If Sears goes down the tubes, then K-Mart and Walmart, what would be left to shop at?

From where I live, the nearest Walmart is 7 miles away, so don't frequent there much.

Even in the city, not many clothing stores to choose from, etc., and malls have been closing.

It is difficult to shop for basics.

I had to order out-of-state for a metallic ironing board cover (through a catalogue). Still need the spring hooks that keep the cover in place, but can't find the ones I need.

If you made a list of items you thought you'd have to replace someday, check out now if you can still find them (or a reasonable facsimile).

If anyone comes across the old-fashioned spring hook ironing board fasteners, please let me know, LOL.