BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Jiffy Laundry Soap Method

We were going through my mother-in-law's old stuff the other night and I came across this. I have not tried it as we've always clarified our fat first but someone may care to try it. I also believe you could adjust it down depending on the size of your cauldron.

Here it is:

"In a fifty gallon barrel or large cast iron kettle that you can build a fire under, put all the cooking, broiling, baking, trimming, panfrying waste be it pork ,tallow, or grease from chickens and other poultry. Fill the barrel or kettle a third full. Add to this the same amount of cold water and heat the mixture til it all melts. Add to the warm emulsion ten or twelve cans of Lewis Lye and two or three boxes of Mule Team Borax.

Bring to a rapid boil, continuing to stir with a long heavy paddle or stick. Cook until the conglomeration has a thick honey look. It will require four to five hours of cooking over a steadily burning fire of cobs, wood, or coal.

Let set until slightly cool, then pour into it a couple gallons of cold water and stir. Let set overnight with the fire out.

The clean fat content will rise to the top, this is your soap. THe unclean remnants will remain in the bottom with the water.

When cool and set, cut the top emulsion into long strips with your corn knife. Lift the strips out of the barrel and cut off anything that may adhere to the bottom from the waste. Place the bars in a box or on a shelf where it can cure. You will have beautiful, clean, honey colored bars of soap.

To use this to wash your laundry or to do dishes, shave the soap from the bar into a gallon pail of water and melt over heat. Pour the required amount into your wash water. You may add more soap as you do more loads. (This was from the wringer days) Your clothes will come out sparkling white and smelling like the morning dew. The unusable portions in the bottom of the barrel may be fed to the swine. the lye and waster are an effective worming potion for the pigs."

I had to chuckle when I read that last part, but I actually remember when folks fed lye to hogs as a wormer. Guess it burned the worms out.

If any of you all try this, please let me know and if I ever get around to trying it, I'll let you all know.