BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 AM

I don't think parts are a problem,my dealer is 10 minutes away and seems to have a big inventory.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Master Pontificator

From the looks of the size, it appears to be as big as my JD 5425. I'd think that it would have a bit more HP than 49 though. You look happy up there in the cockpit.
As the other guys have pointed out, service support is so very important in these situations. As long as the place you bought it will service and maintain it for you, then you should have many years of smooth sailin'.
The problems come when you can't get anyone to fix it or replace a part. That is when the whole story becomes a nightmare.
No one would doubt that a piece of equipment that important should ever be taken lightly so you'll have to keep us informed as to how this buggy pulls.
I hope you have many years of happiness with that tractor. I'm having a hard time realizing that mine is 6 years old now...but like a wife, you get one and generally keep it...
//BT//
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 PM

Mahindra USA has been around the USA since the early 60s. Basically they are a slow evolving International Harvester design. Fairly bullet proof and time tested unlike some of these new imports. As I said they are all over Texas and if they stand up to the Texas heat then that says something. My buddy's tractor broke an arm on the lift after carrying way over the spec'd limit. A quick trip to one of the largest Mahindra dealers in South Texas and he was in the field again. Welded the original arm and now have a spare. If I were buying new I would seriously consider Mahindra. But since the old Ford still does what I need.....
Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM

well its been a year now, so far so good. It performs well and no problems in 86 hours.Of course more hours will tell the tale.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
well its been a year now, so far so good. It performs well and no problems in 86 hours.Of course more hours will tell the tale.
Only 86 hours in a year. Wow, you BABY that thing...I'll bet you did two 50 hour oil changes, too!
//BT//
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM

No just one, I waited until the snow was gone.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Almost 2years and still satisfied.Just bought a land plane to help maintain my driveway.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
Almost 2years and still satisfied.Just bought a land plane to help maintain my driveway.
===
You are doomed......
Tractors are one thing.... Attachment addiction is all consuming.... You look at a job that needs done and think to yourself.... If I had _____ for the tractor, I could do that.... Then one step beyond that is.... I could build that implement myself...

Enjoy...
Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
===
You are doomed......
Tractors are one thing.... Attachment addiction is all consuming.... You look at a job that needs done and think to yourself.... If I had _____ for the tractor, I could do that.... Then one step beyond that is.... I could build that implement myself...

Enjoy...
Implements .. are addicting.

Glad you are satisfied with the Mahindra! I used to formulate powder coatings for them.

I ended up getting a used older Yanmar, but I was keeping eyes open for a Mahindra during that time.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:23 PM

Default Suggestions on a tractor

This is still a few years out, but I'm planning on retiring to my farm one of these days. I will need a tractor, but I'm weighing what to get. I could use some suggestions.

First off, I have a MF dealer close at hand. I've had good relations with them. However, I'm not absolutely tied to Massey Ferguson.

Second, I'm not a mechanic. I'm handy, but I don't usually work on anything bigger than my lawnmower. I figure I'll buy new with an extended warranty and go from there. I'll then start haunting Craigslist and the auctions for attachments.

The things I want to be able to do:

Bush hog
Pull out cedar trees that I can't bush hog.
Mow. I have probably 40 acres that is not woods, but I usually have it mowed once a year by guy who takes the hay. I may start mowing it myself.
Cultivate a vegetable garden
Plant food plots for the deer
Haul wood. I haven't made up my mind yet to invested in a bandsaw mill, but I have a lifetime supply of timber if I decide to dive in.
Snow removal
Road improvement-- I have a 1/2 mile or so of abandoned road that I try to keep open so I can get around on the farm. It stopped being used before the advent of the automobile.
Trail building. The property is criss-crossed with old logging roads and such. Some day I'd like to be able to circumnavigate the 200 acre farm in a 4X4 pickup.
Pond construction. I have a few existing ponds that could be improved with a backhoe attachment. I have a few other places that could be improved to provide standing water with a front bucket. If I decide to do anything bigger, I'd hire a dozer.

So what do you think?

Last edited by dorfdimpaler; 02-11-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Smile

I got a 30 hp Kubota in 2006 with front loader, backhoe attachment, 60" tiller, box blade, bush hog, rock rake and a set of pallet forks. Not had any problems to speak of and I've used the heck out of it. Had to replace the battery last year and a hydraulic hose on the backhoe this year but that's it. Our place is only 92 acres with about 25 of that in timber. I don't do much bush hogging with it as it would be a little small for that with only a 5' bush hog. Our farmer friend runs several hundred acres and has turkey barns and he uses Kubotas also. He just traded one of his for a 100 hp and now uses a 15' bush hog and takes care of our fields in exchange for running his cattle on the pasture. He switched from John Deer because he kept having trouble with them. Our youth pastor is a senior mechanic at the local John Deer dealer and he was telling about the new tractors being all computerized now. If you had your loader bucket up in the air and got a fault code the tractor freezes up, can't move or do anything. Our farmer friend's dad traded his Kubota in on a Mahindra because he didn't like the exhaust going down under the tractor which makes you hot in the summer. The first Mahindra didn't do the job so he traded it for a larger one but it still wasn't up to snuff so he traded for a New Holland and so far he likes it. He also does custom bush hogging and spends a lot of time on the tractor. I've hauled timber, dug septics, set fence posts, tilled gardens, subsoiled and hauled everything you can think of with it. Mine is a small rig and that has to be kept in mind. If you try to pick up to much load it just won't do it. The backhoe has been a life saver many times. I think they now have three point backhoes which could be handier as mine is a frame mount and you have to remove the three point arms. The backhoe, loader bucket and pallet forks are the handiest attachments around a farm. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:36 AM

Howdy -

I have a Yanmar 2420D. 4 WD 27hp Diesel, with a loader and backhoe.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...ar-ym2420.html

I'm a hack mechanic, but maintenance and repairs for this type of tractor is very straight forward and, uh, easy (with internet support).

No fancy electronics to deal with, etc.

I have 40 acres of wild timber that I'm using it on, to clear and develop the homestead. So far, I have been very happy with it.

If you aren't set on going new, I would highly suggest something along these lines.