BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 PM

Default Blazer winch mount

We've been through a winch and on the second on the UTV by pulling logs down our hill for firewood, and had to build a winch mount out of an old Reese hitch, a metal fence post, and a piece of C channel. I couldn't find a wich mount for a Blazer on line except one that mounts hidden under the frame, which wasnt what I wanted, and it was 800 bucks. I made this one for about 35 including a new spool of welding wire. I'll try to post a picture in my album because I cant seem to resize them small enough to add to a thread. Kind of small file requirements here.

Trying to keep the blazer going at 148 K, so cleaned it up, added a new hitch mount, plugs, wires, injectors cleaned, 4 new shocks, front brakes, painted the bumper. Looks and runs better than ever. I haul wood, goats, boat, building supplies, and tow the UTV with this thing. Now I can skid logs. you wouldnt believe what you can fit in a Blazer.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...&pictureid=667
Maybe the link will get you to the picture I think loaded. wow, some real contortions to add pictures here. I think I gave up before.

Last edited by SevenCreeksSap; 05-16-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Nice mount. Always good to have one vehicle in the family with a winch, fer sure.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Very nice.

I bought a little 87 Ranger a few months ago. Got sidetracked, but the eventual plan is to make it into a sort of 4x4 utility/commuter vehicle.

Been giving serious consideration to building a front receiver hitch for it and mounting the winch on the hitch. That way, I could keep it out of sight and move it front to back as necessary. Could also move it to another vehicle easily.

Winch would be a great convenience, and also a significant investment. But it only takes one event where you absolutely need it to pay for itself.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
Very nice.

I bought a little 87 Ranger a few months ago. Got sidetracked, but the eventual plan is to make it into a sort of 4x4 utility/commuter vehicle.

Been giving serious consideration to building a front receiver hitch for it and mounting the winch on the hitch. That way, I could keep it out of sight and move it front to back as necessary. Could also move it to another vehicle easily.

Winch would be a great convenience, and also a significant investment. But it only takes one event where you absolutely need it to pay for itself.
It only takes one serious "stuck" to convince a person that a winch is the difference between driving and walking. Well worth the investment, and there are some pretty decent winches out there for moderate amounts of $$$.