BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Hands-On How-To

Hands-On How-To This board is ONLY for detailed, instructional posts about how to do or make something. General conversation about a topic belongs in the appropriate board.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Need fix-it idea for porch swing

Five or six years ago, I bought a two-seater swing at Walmart. It had cloth cushion seats and a cloth canopy that both sun rotted after a couple of years. I found replacements, but they cost more than the original swing, which was only $79.00. Since then, I've seen several frames like mine on the curb - waiting for trash pickup, so I know this is a common problem.

I thought I was pretty smart to buy rope and weave it in over the frame so I could put cushions on it - but the rope also sun rotted after a couple of years. What a surprise it was to get the cushions out after winter storage and have them fall right through the rope webbing! (It could have been ME that fell through, so that wasn't so bad as it could have been!)

I know lawn chair webbing will rot also, but there must be SOMETHING that will hold the cushions and not rot. But what?

I'm kind of leaning toward hardware cloth, maybe doubled, but how to hook it on? I've looked at trampoline springs, but that would take a LOT of drilling in the steel frame and maybe weaken it. Or would it? Would galvanized wire work? Or . . . .?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM

Don't know about a long term solution, but I got a few straps from a friend whose hubby is a truck driver. They are a thick nylon, about 4" wide and the rolls are very long--long enough to go over a load on a flatbed trailer and strap it down, maybe 30 or 40'? You've seen them on big trucks, no doubt. I used one to weave around the frame of a youth sized daybed I put in my enclosed porch. I put a chaise lounge cushion on it and it's pretty comfortable but still firm enough I don't sag it down when I sit. I wove it pretty tight.

The ones I got were filthy from use so I had to lay them down and scrub them and they still looked dirty even though they got washed, but I figured for the underside of something it wouldn't matter anyway.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Those nylon binders MollyPitcher speaks of are great. Another option are those ratcheting nylon load straps commonly used on pickup trucks and such. I have seen many of these flung down in disgust as the operator is too impatient to deal with them. Cut the mechanism off and you have some lighter weight version of the big ones. Also, the newer version of baler twine used for the huge square or round bales is extremely durable.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Wow - this is a FANTASTIC idea. I even have some of these & didn't even think of it. Might have to get more, but a trip to Harbor Freight is always fun!
Thanks! This is what I'll do.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM

If you want a permanent solution I would use 2 inch wide strips of .020 aluminum and some 1/8 inch pop rivets. You can weave the aluminum like lawn chair webbing. A couple rivets in each end and you can forget sun deterioration.

QGM
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 AM

I have the same thing, though I bought mine at Kmart. My solution was to completely remove the remnants of rotted cloth and use 1x pieces of treated wood. I simply cut them to length, laid them across the frame and secured them from underneath with pipe holders. I'll try to take a picture later. Turned out really well, though after a year I need to paint the wood! LOL
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM

you might try the plastic "snow Fencing". It shouldn't rot, it might very slowly UV degrade over time but you should be able to make it work. Might take a few layers.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:49 PM

If you have a junkyard nearby, you can probably get seatbelt webbing cheap.

It's strong and durable and generallly withstands sunlight without degrading.

I would fold it over at each end and then fasten it with two or three sheet metal screws with washers.

When I buy large parts (engines, transmissions, rear axles) they have me cut seat belts and make a sling, then they come out with their large forklift and haul the part out and into my truck.

In my experience, minivans often have incredibly long seat belts, which is handy if they charge by the piece.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Flatten out some pvc pipe and fasten it to the frame. 3/4" spaced at 1-1/2 on center should be enough.