BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Air Rifles... Good, Bad, Ugly

I have chipmunks around here till they would overrun you without control.....

Problem with them is they want into the buildings and once in they will do damage to something.....

I also have this old Beeman spring power (break open) pellet rifle. I got it for $5 at a garage sale with the matching Beeman 3x7 air rifle scope...... It is .177 cal and saw a lot of use and abuse shooting targets in a basement.... It has an incredibly lousy trigger pull..... YUK....

So the other morning I must have fired a dozen pellets at chipmunks at the bird feeders (exactly 16 yards away) only to find out my scope was loose....
To the garage tightened everything up, lube and clean. And sighted it back in....

Now this morning....... Two chipmunks...... Two shots.......

I have been looking for a better quality air rifle.... Cabelas has the Ruger air rifle.... I don't know whos gun it is, just with the Ruger name. And I don't want to spend 3-4 hundred dollars on one.... About $150 would be OK.... Can I do that and include a decent enough scope to get the job done ?? Will a decent trigger pull push the price up a bunch ??

I also have been thinking of staying with the 177 caliber... Not knowing anything about the 22 caliber air guns.....

Thoughts.... Help.... Experiences.....
Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM

I have a Gammo break over in .177. It came with a scope but I tossed it because the way a pellet rifle fires tends to through scopes out of alignment.

I use .177 because the velocity is faster and the ammo is cheaper.

I no longer have squirrels.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM

You need to site in the rifle. To do this set up a chair and table. Put a bag filled with dirt (garbage bad with sand)on top of the table, then set up a target. The target could be a sheet of paper with lines, circles etc. This target should be 40'-50' away. Sit in the chair and rest the rifle on the bag. Note the bag should conform to the rifle profile. Use the sites and fire away. Each time look at the accuracy and adjust the sites accordingly. Do this before junkin the rifle. As far as scopes are concerned, you what you pay for. On my air rifle I just use the sites on the barrel and it does just fine.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Rat trap + peanut butter = dead rodents of all kinds.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Rat trap + peanut butter = dead rodents of all kinds.
Yeah but that ain't no fun.

I have a .177 spring action pellet gun that looks exactly like a side folder Ak47. Some lady I worked with gave it to me after her husband passed away. The thing is very accurate. Has only iron sights but its more accurate than my scoped Daisy POS pellet gun.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Actually....... Rat trap with a salted in the shell peanut tied to the bait pan with a bread wrapper twist tie........ I keep one in a wood box with a hole small enough to let in a chipmunk, but too small for a squirrel.......
And yes it works very well. But like said, not as much fun....

I have knowingly killed several chipmunks DRT (dead right there) IF I am lucky enough to hit them in the head or neck the pellet will go right through. I know I have hit several in the body, not knowing if it is a through and through hit, or not. But obviously a good body hit as it knocks them rolling or off where they are sitting..... But they do get away....

I need a better rifle so I can assure a more consistent hit that will anchor them where they stand.... After all..... You got to show the body to get credit for the kill......
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 AM

Too many makes and models out there to choose from. I'm also looking to add a few more in assorted calibers to my pest control/hunting battery. Been stocking up on pellets while saving to buy 'em.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 AM

I have a Sears (Jennings?) brand bolt action single shot .22LR that happily digests CB longs.

Quiet as a pellet gun, higher FPS projectile.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 AM

Crosman 760 Pumpmaster. I have owned 3 in my lifetime. They work well and are usually under $40. BB and .177.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosman_Pumpmaster_760
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 AM

I bought an old one, .177, at a flea market a long time ago. It's copper colored, but I don't remember much about it. I forgot I had it, need to go dig it out of where I think I put it and see what it is. It did shoot, I do remember that much. Might be good to bean someone..err.. something with at a distance.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Night vision pellet gun rat hunting
Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 AM

Beeman used to be a name out there. I'm thinking that Dr. Beeman somehow sold or otherwise let the company go and... well... Still good guns I guess but not like the old stuff with that name. JMHO please realize.

It may be that that old gun just needs a bit of TLC, otherwise known as a tune. New seals, clean up, tightening up, etc. Don't know if there is a tuner near you or not. Don't know if you would want to tackle it yourself or not. The spring is a bear to deal with without proper tools.

Don't know the model of your gun, but there may be an after market trigger assembly that is more to your liking. That sounds like what is driving you to distraction anyway. That and the scope.

Wyo, an air rifle will never have the DRT of a firearm and, IMO, that is just the way it is. Air guns depend on shot placement for the DRT. That means knowing the pellets trajectory and the distance to the target, and usually glass. Springers are rough on scopes due to their action so make sure any new scope can handle the double recoil action (spring launch and then spring stop.)

Pellets come in different configurations. If I'm shooting for DRT I usually use a wadcutter type pellet, not a round nose. I like to think there is more shock on impact with the wadcutter, but, I still place the shot. Heart shots, well, there won't be a DRT with anything very tough. It will leave the area before losing consciousness and dying. Been there, done that.

Good luck on it and let us know how it goes, k?

John
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyPitcher View Post
I bought an old one, .177, at a flea market a long time ago. It's copper colored, but I don't remember much about it. I forgot I had it, need to go dig it out of where I think I put it and see what it is. It did shoot, I do remember that much. Might be good to bean someone..err.. something with at a distance.
Benjamin still make air rifles. My 1950's model is all brass after the paint has rubbed off. Is that what you have?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 AM

I believe it is a Benjamin! I never did dig it out, but I'm about 99% sure it's with the rest of the weapons. I kept thinking it was Robertson or something similar, but Benjamin sounds right.

Need to get it out in the next few days.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 PM

We have an ongoing rat problem here at the homestead. i went to Walmart and bought a Crosman Storm .177 caliber pellet rifle. This is a break-barrel spring action rifle that is powerful enough to deliver 1,000 feet per second! I got it on sale for a little less than $100, I think regular price was $129. It comes with open sights and a scope you can mount.
This thing is waaaay too powerful for rats, it will go thru them plus the 3/8" plywood walls of the feed shed. I think it would put a chipmunk's face in the dirt no problem.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
We have an ongoing rat problem here at the homestead. i went to Walmart and bought a Crosman Storm .177 caliber pellet rifle. This is a break-barrel spring action rifle that is powerful enough to deliver 1,000 feet per second! I got it on sale for a little less than $100, I think regular price was $129. It comes with open sights and a scope you can mount.
This thing is waaaay too powerful for rats, it will go thru them plus the 3/8" plywood walls of the feed shed. I think it would put a chipmunk's face in the dirt no problem.
Have that same orange wood stocked springer for critter patrol around the 50 Acre Wood. One morning was particularly productive with the Son & Heir helping me bag 5 chipmunks and a fat ground squirrel...only 4000 more to go.

That Storm is heavy for an air rifle, but helps make for more consistent shots while using an artillery hold. It loves the Wally World bulk tin Crosman hollow point premier pellets. You are right about the energy of that rifle. I missed on a diving muskrat on the pond and heard the sickening sound of it ricocheting off a rock and into the solar panel array. Fortunately, no damage done. Mind Firearm Rule #4...

An accurate pellet gun is a useful addition on any homestead and, in some ways, even more useful than a 22lr (especially given the Great Rimfire Drought of 2012-13).

Wyobuckaroo: check out http://www.pyramydair.com/ and http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com/blog/ for more airgun info.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 PM

This one is more than you wanted to pay, but it is one fine pellet gun. Price is $280.00 on Amazon:

Crosman Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 .22 Caliber Nitro Piston Air Rifle with Hardwood Stock (Includes 3-9 X 40mm Scope)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 PM

update, Wyo? What did you do and how did it go? Just curious.

John
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM

OK....... What I got, with the bonus points on my credit card, is this....

A Gamo .177 cal "Whisper" rigid barrel.
It has a lever under the barrel to cock it with. Like said a stationary barrel, and thumb hole stock... Not crazy about the stock, but will get used to it eventually. But do like the fact the stock is sized for an adult shooter.....

It has a noise reducer on the end of the barrel. With my first shot it cracked like a 22 rifle..... Scope zeroed in with only 4-5 shots. Now that I have fired it about 30 or so times, it is as quiet as a BB gun, or less.....

My old gun would stick a pellet 1/2 a pellet deep into a 3/4" pine board at 15 yards every time. This one shoots through the same pine board, every time.........

New pellet gun 5, chipmunks 0, so far...... (evil chuckle)

Good hunting.....
Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Has anyone used an air rifle that holds 8 rounds and uses a special pump that will fire 5 rounds. They have a magazine that holds the pellets.