BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Uuuummmmm...... Need more info.....

What are you thinking about ?? Rifle, handgun ??
I'm sure there are many multi shot models of each available, but I'm not familiar with any of the latest models..... I would presume a multi shot mechanism would have to be CO2 powered...... I guess google is a place to start to find air gun manufactures and info.....

Years ago, one Firearms Safety class I taught with had several CO2 powered rifles that took a 12 pellet cylinder that loaded into a detachable magazine that loaded into the rifle..... The kids and adults really liked to shoot them.
So did I.............

Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 PM

Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle..................................Know anything about? Sounds like a good idea. You have to buy a hand pump for the cylinder (3000psi). There are several manufactures out there with models like this. If hunting and you had 4-5 good shots without pumping each time and the pellets already in it would be an advantage.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 AM

Bunny Hunter reviews several air rifles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzC6v-nOof4
Old 09-10-2014, 01:32 AM

Just seeing this thread after joining. My son and I have been researching pellet guns (mostly him). I ended up buying a Hatsan 95 (.177) for about $159 from air gun depot. It has a nice Walnut stock and feels good like a rifle should. My son shot it first and placed 5 rounds within an inch at 20 yards out of the box using the iron sites. It came with a scope, but I haven't shot it yet with the scope. As soon as he gets a little extra change, I'm selling it to him and getting an RWS 34, German-made with a lifetime warranty. It's a bit higher at around $250, but it does come highly rated. I'll probably get the .22 caliber rifle with this one though so we have some variety.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 AM

Here are some sites where you can become educated on air rifles.
Some are capable of killing deer sized game:
http://www.pyramydair.com
http://www.blueline-studios.com/kuen....com/talk.html
Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 PM

What oil does everyone use for their air rifle?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermasse View Post
What oil does everyone use for their air rifle?
Any good gun oil will work on the outside, BUT you never use it on the piston seals or in the barrel.

Just put a drop on the pivot points for the lever and trigger once in a while

Some of the older "pump up" types like the Crosman used felt or leather washers in the pump that needed to be moist to seal, but most guns now use silicone and the wrong oil will damage them

Oil in the barrel or in front of the piston on a spring powered gun can cause "dieseling" which is an explosion from the compressed oil igniting under pressure

Any oil that might get into those areas needs to be either synthetic or all natural, but NOT petroleum based

This site explains some of it:
http://www.blueline-studios.com/kuen...ealreplacement

Here's a good article on air gun lubrication that goes into a lot more detail:
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/...on-pneumatics/

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 09-12-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Air rifles, The Good:
No paperwork.
The great ammo shortage of (insert the Obama Gun Grabbing scare years here) did not impact air rifle ammo at all.
Ammo can be delivered to your door with no HAZMAT fees.
Decent rifles can be had for under $200.
The smaller calibers are very quiet, no ear protection really required. Some of the large bore might require ear protection.
Break/under/side leaver actions are self-sustained. No need for external equipment to charge the power plant.
Great way to improve the fundamentals of marksmanship at a low price.
Great for small pest control. Larger calibers can take larger game at greater ranges.

The Bad:
They are addicting.
Upgrading to a PCP will require a external way to charge the reservoir be it hand pump or scuba tank.

The Ugly:
They are addicting.
Once you upgrade to a PCP, you will be looking at other, more expensive PCPs to add to your collection.
Some are as expensive as regular firearms.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheradar View Post
Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle..................................Know anything about? Sounds like a good idea. You have to buy a hand pump for the cylinder (3000psi). There are several manufactures out there with models like this. If hunting and you had 4-5 good shots without pumping each time and the pellets already in it would be an advantage.
I own one in .22.
It is awesome.
10rnd magazine (get extra), I get about 60 shots before I need to refill.
It seems to like the 5.52mm head size best in the 18 to 21grn range. At least mine does.
It got more use this year then any of my other firearms.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM

On the cheap end, air rifles can cost as little as $40 for Daisy 880 and $1.75/box of 500 daisy lead pellets.

The $40 Daisy power line 880, or the $60 Crosman 2100 can be used for small pest control at 10-20 yards depending on your skill, or quality optics.

On the higher end, quality air rifles can cost as much, if not more than firearms. Even the less expensive German imports like RWS (Diana) 34 and HW30s will cost $250-$300.

Higher quality PCP air rifles will cost more than new Ruger mini-14's. Having used Crosman PCP air rifle in .177 caliber in outdoor 50 yard range, I'm inclined to recommend .22 instead. The .177 is more accurate under perfect conditions, but a light wind and it veers off course.

If you're a Prepper, you probably want a spring powered air rifle instead of scuba tank filled PCP. While it is possible to use a hand pump, it just isn't as convenient as spring piston.

New for 2015, Diana 340 N-Tech gas spring air rifle: ($450)
http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.ph...68&height=1024

If you ha e never used a RWS/Diana 34 with T06 trigger, be warned the factory setting on trigger pull may be dangerously light, as in hair trigger like.