BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Philosophy

Philosophy Any non-religious philosophical discussions.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Are humans primates?

If humans are primates, does a creationist believing person not accept this?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Some of them act like primates!!

Did we come from them? Is this what your asking or is this a religious discussion?

Clarify for me please.

Annie
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 AM

"Some act like primates"........ Bwahahahahaha.....

Just one of the many references used to describe how men act....
------
Do I think man descended from primates..... ??? Has man evolved from primates...... ??? First I don't know if the difference in the words make a difference in the answer to this, or how to answer this....

I kind of like to look at it from the prospective, for instance, of how there is a web of connection from the saber toothed tiger, to the modern lion, tiger, to the modern house cat..... In a way they are/were connected.... Maybe cats aren't the best comparison to use for this..... But you get the idea.....

Many people feel men haven't evolved much, if any past the Neanderthal stage of mankind......
What more can I say to that other than.... Uuggggg... Fire good...... Need raw meat....

(chuckle, chuckle, giggle, snort)
Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 AM

If human were primates that would be the belief of " from the goo, to the zoo, to you. For me the creationist is far easier to believe that mankind is an accident.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM

No, not a religious perspective at all. Purely philosophical and scientific. Humans are considered primates because of DNA similarities to the other primates. This is science. Although, some creationists consider science to be just another religion. And they are partially correct in assuming so. Sometimes, "science" requires blind faith to follow it, based loosely on unsubstantiated theories.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 AM

Similar DNA is just that Similar, The differences far out weigh the similarities. although with that said, I have a friend I am quite positive is a monkey's uncle. Science seems to be more evolving (changing) it's thinking as time goes on as new and interesting questions are being solved.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
No, not a religious perspective at all. Purely philosophical and scientific. Humans are considered primates because of DNA similarities to the other primates. This is science. Although, some creationists consider science to be just another religion. And they are partially correct in assuming so. Sometimes, "science" requires blind faith to follow it, based loosely on unsubstantiated theories.
Blind faith---?
I think even religious communities reguire blind faith.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
Similar DNA is just that Similar, The differences far out weigh the similarities. although with that said, I have a friend I am quite positive is a monkey's uncle. Science seems to be more evolving (changing) it's thinking as time goes on as new and interesting questions are being solved.
I have wondered about this: Pig dna?
Transplants from pigs have been used.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Speaking of cats, they are genetically related to jellyfish last I heard.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-research.html

Whether humans are primates, or pigs, or their genetic pattern was calculated by some supercomputer and put together atom by atom by nanotech machines using magnetic force fields, I don't know.

I'm not sure it matters.

If someone is cloned and the clone ends up with a personality all its own, is the clone a person? Or just a construct and not eligible for personhood?

Wood floats on water, saints and other "religious" folks have been known to float on air (not counting the guy in London that was floating with his arm on the double-decker bus, K?) so maybe reality really is what we think it is.

I don't know. That's my answer for now. lol

John
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM

What does it matter you say, well here is how it matters, If we were primates you could find a gorilla to mate with and you would have one ugly baby and we don't want a bunch of ugly babys running around now do we ?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 PM

I stand corrected... okay, actually I'm rolling on the floor laughing after being corrected. Nope, not you, bob.

I have been informed that almost all wood floats, however, the statement "Wood floats on water,..." is inaccurate. Even the more accurate "Dry wood floats on water,..." is in error also apparently. Jabota, Lignum Vitae, and I refused to accept petrified wood as an example due to no cellulose. However... the internet seems to back up the correction.

We pay for our raising and they get it honest. I was a smart smart-aleck kid too back in the day... lol

offgridbob, well, there are always reality shows needing ugly babies, or grown up ugly babies... But I too am feeling a bit anxious as I'm pretty ugly now and... and... My only hope is ladies that wear thick, thick glasses, if you know what I mean, and reading the kama sutra just makes me tired now.

Yeah, chimeras are coming if not already around. I don't want to be the one in arms reach of a lady gorilla if she is in the throes of passion, for sure.

The Big Guy in the Sky (Big Gal in the Sky?) I figure has it covered somehow.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 AM

Maybe a better question to ask is are primates human ? Because if one is then the other in reverse is also correct.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe a better question to ask is are primates human ? Because if one is then the other in reverse is also correct.
Humm,very interesting thought!!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Um no,

For example all oranges are citrus fruit, but not all citrus fruits are oranges.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 AM

That is true but my example says that if oranges are citrus fruit then all oranges are citrus fruit , No missing links. So if humans are primates then they are not human, No missing links there either
Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
That is true but my example says that if oranges are citrus fruit then all oranges are citrus fruit , No missing links. So if humans are primates then they are not human, No missing links there either
Um no,

An orange and a lime are both citrus fruits, but a lime is not an orange and an orange is not a lime.

In the same sense that if Mr. and Mrs. Smith have four children, two boys and two girls, all of there sons are Smith's and all of their daughters are Smith's, but while all of the sons are Smith's they are not daughters.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 PM

Darn Now I am totally confused, I going to go eat a banana and hang from the monkey bars for awhile. I find that to be totally relaxing for some odd reason.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM

Maybe I bit off a little too much on this. So, let me ask this, "Are Humans animals?".
Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 PM

Well, guess that depends on what an animal is. Words are so hard to define, I've heard. You know, I've heard there are even questions out there about what 'is' is...

A quick look at OneLook seemed to indicate multiple definitions with various flavors for animal. Some definitions exclude humans, some include humans, some are just wrong, some are absolutely right, etc., etc.

So, are you trying to ask what separates our species from other species besides the physical form?

If so then my answer is that our species has the ability to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. I truly truly believe that the replay button was invented to try to negate this wonderful ability of our species.

Slow motion replay I'm thinking was invented to allow more time to bet on what the outcome would be this time. I could be wrong, but...

Bottom line - I'm not sure there is an answer to your question. There are a lot of opinions, I'm sure, depending on what is considered the difference between animal and human, and what our individual utopia looks like.

Sometimes is my answer. Sometimes some humans are animals, and sometimes some animals are human.

John
Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoatgruff View Post
You know, I've heard there are even questions out there about what 'is' is...
what "is" is? ..... if there's a question out there, orange we sure a complimenting answer exists?