BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Ruger Expansion

Any NC folks might be interested to know Ruger DID decide to expand it's facilities out of the NE to Mayodan NC. It is on their corporate section of the Ruger website, lots of jobs coming and as it was explained to me by them, it will start with their rimfire rifle line, then expand as other 'product lines' are moved.

Good news for once.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Master Pontificator

Dammit. Meant for this to go in general 'Firearms/Weapons'.

Help moving it someone?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdog View Post
Any NC folks might be interested to know Ruger DID decide to expand it's facilities out of the NE to Mayodan NC. It is on their corporate section of the Ruger website, lots of jobs coming and as it was explained to me by them, it will start with their rimfire rifle line, then expand as other 'product lines' are moved.

Good news for once.
That damn Judas engine won't die.

Thanks for the 1995 Assault Weapons Law, Mr. Bill Ruger. Even with that unconstitutional law your Mini couldn't take the market or govt contracts from Colt, or the AR design.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM

Thanks Pitdog, hubs just asked after you this morning... we made a run to our local biggest gun dealer on the east coast yesterday. He's got inventory and it was what hubs was looking for, to round out the collection.

I'm glad Ruger decided to come down here. I think Mayodan is a ways away from us. It'll put some good folks to work. '95 was before I was interested in guns, so while I appreciate your perspective, Sarge, I just wasn't "there" when it happened. And while we have a few Rugers, we've spread our spending around pretty well.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post

Thanks for the 1995 Assault Weapons Law, Mr. Bill Ruger. Even with that unconstitutional law your Mini couldn't take the market or govt contracts from Colt, or the AR design.
I'm a little confused here about Bill Ruger, Didn't he just introduce the law and congress got it past ? Any of us can introduce a law but that's not the same as who passes it. I'm not sticking up for him Just sticking up for his constitutional rights.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
I'm a little confused here about Bill Ruger, Didn't he just introduce the law and congress got it past ? Any of us can introduce a law but that's not the same as who passes it. I'm not sticking up for him Just sticking up for his constitutional rights.
Bill Ruger was heavily involved in the crafting of the assault weapons bill and a strong supporter of it then, the anti-gun congress and senate turned on him too.

Bill wanted Law to strangle the emerging polymer technologies, semi autos, tritium sight, and 15-20-30 round magazines that were coming to be preferred by the Govt, LEO, and the public. Moved on from what Sturm, Ruger, & Co profitted from best. Walnut and blued steel traditional designs. Bill used his money and sat down helping to craft that bill which, prez clinton made law.

Ever wonder why you a mere civilian could not purchase the 30 round Ruger magazines for the Mini but, LEOs could? The ten round magazine limit? Ever wonder why it wasn't 8 or 15? Because it didn't affect most of the designs put out by Ruger with tubular magazines or internal rotary magazines.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM

AH... thanks Sarge!!

Well, maybe I'm just a weirdo but I've always gravitated toward walnut & bluing myself. But, hasn't that motivation to stifle polymers, backfired on Ruger? Everywhere we find ourselves, people keep telling me I've GOT to have at least one Glock... and the only one that even fits my hand is the 36. People love them... but they just don't fit me.

And yeah, I keep looking at the 10-22 rotary magazine and scratching my head about the form vs function design difference... nice to know the history of that. Now that I think I can convince hubs he's "done" collecting for awhile, maybe we can get some range time in. Shooting is way more interesting for me than shopping. Or maybe when my SIL comes back down, I can steal him away from kid duty... and leave grandpa... and learn how to sight in my rifles from someone who knows... (hubs is more handgun oriented).

SIL lives & breathes hunting rifles.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Well, at the end of the day- Bill Ruger is dead.
NOW Ruger makes a metric ass ton of polymer guns, AR-15s and high cap mags for everything. Obviously management strayed from the opinion of the founder and went where the market told them to go- personal opinions aside and now look at them.

Lot of jobs, good products etc.

I don't disagree with Sarge, fax are fax- but the game has changed since Bill went under the dirt.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Bill Ruger was heavily involved in the crafting of the assault weapons bill and a strong supporter of it then, the anti-gun congress and senate turned on him too.

Ever wonder why you a mere civilian could not purchase the 30 round Ruger magazines for the Mini but, LEOs could? The ten round magazine limit? Ever wonder why it wasn't 8 or 15? Because it didn't affect most of the designs put out by Ruger with tubular magazines or internal rotary magazines.
I have a 30 round mag for my mini 14 and I am not an LEO or even involved in LEO.....When was this supposed rule in effect, as I purchased the mag probably 25 years ago? I bought the mini-14, it came with a 5 round mag. I promptly went out and bought two 20's and then found a 30 rounder...... Never was an issue.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
I have a 30 round mag for my mini 14 and I am not an LEO or even involved in LEO.....When was this supposed rule in effect, as I purchased the mag probably 25 years ago? I bought the mini-14, it came with a 5 round mag. I promptly went out and bought two 20's and then found a 30 rounder...... Never was an issue.
Manufactured by Ruger? Purchased directly from Ruger? This is the time before the 1994 weapons ban, the ten years that was in effect, and for a few short years after.

Of course, distributors were out to make a buck, so once the ban went into effect and a $12.95 30 round magazine went to $60 or more they kinda forgot that any not stamped (LEO only) was only meant for LEOs anyway.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 PM

I'm sure all these details are true..... But like said. At the end of the day, regardless of Bills personal motives, the 1994 issues could have been a LOT worse for us as individual shooters if the wording had been left to those with lesser firearms knowledge than Bill...... Again, if it hadn't been for him, it could have been a LOT worse then and today without that input.....

So we move on.... and try to prevent the further erosion of the bill of rights and country.....

Good luck
Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
I'm sure all these details are true..... But like said. At the end of the day, regardless of Bills personal motives, the 1994 issues could have been a LOT worse for us as individual shooters if the wording had been left to those with lesser firearms knowledge than Bill...... Again, if it hadn't been for him, it could have been a LOT worse then and today without that input.....

So we move on.... and try to prevent the further erosion of the bill of rights and country.....

Good luck
Maybe you misunderstood me. He didn't just help write it, he gave money and other support to help the 94 AWB pass.

He wanted to destroy other companies ability to manufacture and boost business for his own company. He just didn't count on those antigun senators and congressmen turning on his company and adding Ruger guns to the list. That's the only ray of sunshine there. Bill screwed himself while trying to screw every other gun manufacturer and citizen.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Master Pontificator

Speaking of jobs Sarge....go get one. Trinidad is hiring I 'hear'
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdog View Post
Speaking of jobs Sarge....go get one. Trinidad is hiring I 'hear'
Naw, they have done a fine job of cutting their own throats too.

I expect the whole of the Gunsmithing program to be closed down.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:

Bill Ruger did not have to do anything to Colt. Colt did them ownselves in with their arrogant and haughtiness to the general public with their high dollar take-it or leave-it attitude. With the government contracts to support their company they acted like the general populace buyers were a thorn in their side more than an asset to cultivate.

BUT.... When they lost their lucrative government contracts, it was a whole different story. Colt was then courting the buying public like the the love-sick bull just turned loose on a 10,000 acre range without a single cow in sight.

In this day and age I hate to see any gun manufacturer go under, because we have already lost far to many, and currently a number of others are struggling, which we are apt to also loose. Having made the previous statement, COLT is the one exception, I could care less about, because of their own indifference, disdain & contempt for the general public, I feel they received exactly what they deserved, only it was long overdue.

Colt did manage to re-organize, but appear to be struggling and I for one will never purchase anything which bears the name Colt.

Colt is a legend, but legends belong to history and that is exactly where Colt belong----- in history.