BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM

Default Naming sewing machines

I'm on an email list for treadle sewing machines and some of them name their machines - the ones who don't have 50 gazillion of them. LOL

I was just wondering how many on here name their sewing machines and if you do, how do you come up with the names?

I'm thinking of naming my old Singers. I have a class 66, from 1927 still at my parent's house, electric and in a cabinet. At my house I have a class 15 from 1941, in a cabinet, was a treadle but converted to electric and I plan to convert it back to treadle. Then I have a 1919 portable class 66 that is electric, Red Eye decals in nice shape. And I recently picked up (in rough shape, with Memphis decals) a 1910 class 27 hand crank portable.

I'm considering Lucy for the Red Eye, Red/Lucille Ball. If I can rehab the Memphis I'm thinking of Alexandria. Not really sure on the other 2. Not sure if those names fit on the 2 I'm considering either. They need to "fit", ya know?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I'm a car enthusiast, so I'm on a lot of forums. I'm always surprised how many people give names to their cars. It does vary by marque.

I know a lot of people name various machines. I've never been one to do that. Hadn't heard of it done to sewing machines, but hey, why not?

That said, I do have a habit of talking to my machines. I'll start worrying about that when they start talking back.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
I'm a car enthusiast, so I'm on a lot of forums. I'm always surprised how many people give names to their cars. It does vary by marque.

I know a lot of people name various machines. I've never been one to do that. Hadn't heard of it done to sewing machines, but hey, why not?

That said, I do have a habit of talking to my machines. I'll start worrying about that when they start talking back.
My names for my new-fangaled computerized sewing machine are not repeatable(( for mixed company. LOL
But the old portable Singer I have(tough baby) I have called Goldie for her markings.

My old truck I call MINE.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM

I guess if I would have named the old sewing machine I used to have it would have been "Pinchy"........ For obvious reasons...... ouch.....

My diesel tractor I call JD....... (John Deere) My John Deere lawn tractor I call Jr......

Enjoy.....
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Hmmm...........never thought about naming my sewing machines. Now our pick-ups, you bet! Ours is named the "Beast"!!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM

LOL I have known a number of folks who name things, I only name children and animals.

I did have a car that was named. The neighbors always named every vehicle, tractor, etc.. and they named my old 54 chevy "Old Quaker State".

They'd say, "There goes __________ and Old Quaker State." Well, it stuck and I still have the car after nearly forty years. We affectionately refer to that car as "Old Quakey" but all our other vehicles are simply called, The Buick, the truck, the old chevy, the new chevy, or old red or old blue.

My sister named her cars always, but I thought it was kind of a girl thing.

I know my wife refers to her sewing machines as The New Pfaff, the old Pfaff, the old Singer, the treadle, or the Kenmore, by their brands and not by a name of endearment.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Default sewing machine

It is sort of funny how we like to name things. I used to name my cars and trucks but not so much anymore. Just haven't had one I wanted to name. My sewing machine is a new one and I'm sort of in the same boat as the commenter above the names are not for mixed company! LOL! The older machines are muck easier to work with in my opinion, but have only room for one.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:53 AM

After my little pram flew off the truck rack, bounced down the highway a bit before going over a small hill, I called it the Titanic.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 AM

Default Naming sewing machines

I name everything, been known to rename people & thier dogs but the sewing machines that i use all have names -they have either become friends or enemies so some are nice & some are not. the rest are just boat anchors.
Reminds me of the movie Toy Story where all the toys want to be favored & played with. I wonder if the boat anchors huddle in the corner hoping to be dragged out & named.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
I name everything, been known to rename people & thier dogs but the sewing machines that i use all have names -they have either become friends or enemies so some are nice & some are not. the rest are just boat anchors.
Reminds me of the movie Toy Story where all the toys want to be favored & played with. I wonder if the boat anchors huddle in the corner hoping to be dragged out & named.
Now thats funny!!:
I name everything---my truck has some names best not repeated!!:

I even name myself----ole lady,ya big dummy,you didnt,and again some cant be repeated.

I think its something we learned early on.
Kind of a family heritage thing huh?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM

I've an electric named Brother & a tredle named Singer.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 PM

Default My treadle

I'd name my treadle Dixon or Dixie, since she is a Mason...