Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Default How in the heck do I keep mice out of my house?!

I feel so dumb for asking this, because I should know how (isn't that part of the required reading before buying a home in the country?), but... how?

We've found their points of entry into our house. The cabinents under our sinks have elevated bottoms about 3-4 inches above the actual floor. The space around the pipes was sealed (by previous owners) around this elevated bottom, but not around the actual floor. So, they can get in under both bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink (we don't think there are any other points of entry). We're working on sealing those (Hubby is supposed to remove the false bottoms to actually seal around the pipes).

But, I know mice are persistent and will usually find other ways into a home. We think they only way they are getting under the house is when we open the crawl space, but we aren't sure on that. So, what options do we have to actually keep mice out of our home?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Inactive Member

Default Re: How in the heck do I keep mice out of my house

How do you get rid of them? *

You don't. ;D ;D

Actually, if you ever find where a snake sheds his skin, place that around the pipes. *Mice won't cross it or go near it. *I was told that long ago and it worked. *However the skin I found was shed in the house! *LOL *I went into the kitchen one morning and found it along the bottom of the cookstove. *I guess he shed it overnight. *I put it around the pipes and no more mice. *The snake left later, too, but the mice didn't return. By the way, it was a big black snake snake so I was able to cut it into several shorter lengths to put in places the mice had come in.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Barn cats , find the entrance , hirer a lawyer and have them evicted ;D
Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 AM

Is it reasonable to believe that our home is built securely enough that they aren't just going to find new ways to get in once we seal up (snake skin up, huh?!) where we know they're getting in now? They aren't going to keep poking and prodding for new ways in after?

I'm debating about whether or not to slide a package/cheese wedge/whatever they are of Decon under the sink, but I'm not too excited to have dead mice in my crawl space, or worse in my walls where I can smell them for a few days... gross (The Decon is fine to use with a small child as long as he can't get to it, right?)
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 AM

Not meant to sound wiseass but--ever heard of a cat?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM

We put bar bait in the crawlspace above the second floor and in remote parts of the basement. Don't use the low quality d-con type stuff, we use the rat bait from the feed store. You only have to replace it once every year or two. It does wonders.

We don't have cats either. Neither one of us like them. We just aren't cat people.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Johnny, I love cats and would have several if we could, but I'm super allergic. Any time I'm even close to them I break out in hives, start having an asthma attack, runny nose... all of that fun stuff. We do have several strays that we feed scraps too and that patrol the house outside. Maybe the fact that we have cats outside caused the mice to seek shelter in the crawl space when we were down there...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Oh, if we actually use poison, are we going to kill "our" cats if they happen to eat one of the poisoned mice?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Inactive Member

you won't kill the cats if you buy the bait that is in the stores today... if they eat a poisoned mouse. However, if you feed the bait to the cat it can harm them. But, I have never seen a cat eat a sick mouse... They will toy with them but usually they will leave them to die.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM

I've heard that if you put steel wool in their opening and around the holes the pipes go through that it's like barbed wire to them and they can't get through that way again.

I've also heard those products that use sound to repel insects and mice work well, if it's a good brand. I personally wouldn't use poisons because they CAN kill a cat or dog or cause liver and kidney damage.

I have a lazy cat so I use snap traps. If where I place them is an area that it could be difficult to retrieve it I screw a TINY eye hook to the edge of the trap and tie fishing line to it and secure the other end so I can ALWAYS find it.

My husband made a trap that works pretty well ... you take an empty tin can and put a hole in the center of top and bottom covers. Thread it with a piece of string and glue cover back on.
Attach string & can to the top center of a bucket (the bucket must be deep enough that a mouse can't jump/climb out of.) The can must be able to turn on the string with NO resistance. Wire can be used instead of string. Fill the bottom of the bucket about 6 inches full of water. Smear peanut butter over the center of the outside of the tin can. When the mouse climbs onto the can it spins and throws the mouse into the water where it drowns because it can't get out.

I hope you find something that works.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM

I'm nervous about hurting our strays, but the sound/noise thingys aren't going to work for us. We tried them, and even though we couldn't hear them, we had headaches and earaches because our bodies still recognized the noise.

I've thought about the steel wool. Maybe we'll try that to seal their holes instead of the foam stuff. And it would be an (hopefully) easy way to fix their new ways in that we find too.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Get some penny-royal or grow some from seed IN CONTAINERS (darn stuff spreads like crazy).
Put fresh leaves where the mice come in and in the back of your cabinets or where-ever you have seen the fuzzy critters. You can also harvest the plant, dry out leaves and scatter them around the outside of your foundation and in your crawl space.

Penny royal repels both mice and roaches.

Do not let a pregnant woman handle it, it can cause miscarriage.

The question is not "Who is going to let me?"
It is "Who is going to stop me?"
Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funmommy
I've also heard those products that use sound to repel insects and mice work well, if it's a good brand. I personally wouldn't use poisons because they CAN kill a cat or dog or cause liver and kidney damage.
I worked with these things in the coops for too many years. The new poisons WILL NOT hurt your pets if they eat a mouse that has ingested it. There is not enough concentration. The ONLY way it will hurt the dog or cat is if they get into the poison and eat the poison direct. You can buy lockable bait stations that keep children and pets out of the bait.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Banned

I had a BIG mice problem when 1st moved here a few yrs back.

I rounded up 6 cats and fed them just enough to stay around. My mouse problem was under control in a few months.

I never liked to poison them and then have dead mice in the walls.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM

my mother used to say and i'm not sure if there is anything to it. but she used to say "pet mice would keep field mice from coming in." i guess the nasty smell they put off
Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM

I get blue grains from the feedstore for down at the house. Mice were carrying the barn away, when you opened the feedbins they would scamper. Now we have a few barncats and I see a mouse occasionally. I use no poison at the barn.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM

It's hard to keep cats near the woods. Coons will kill them if they wander too far away from the LGD area. Coyotes and coons don't get too close because of the dogs, but cats will wander out of the dog areas at times and get killed. Kittens are especially hard to keep if you have a lot of coons or coyotes around. I don't know if possums kill them too or not.
We won't keep cats inside because we just are not cat people. I am not particularly fond of them, neither is hubby. But even keeping them out near the henhouse or goat pen seems to be a loosing battle from predators.
I prefer dogs. Nicer animal.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Tip if you go with the poison

We did battle with mice when we were in Wisconsin. The only problem with the poison is you don't always find the dead mouse--but the smell can drive you nuts!
I found the best solution when there was a hidden decaying mouse was to use the sort of air fresheners that come in a solid. Airwick is the name I used. The strongest one I used was blue--don't recall the scent. All I know is it was the only thing that could make the smell bearable.

It takes a couple/few days until it stops smelling. During that time use the strongest airwick completely open and try to find that mouse!

The d-con type stuff does kill the mice but in our case they were hiding in walls and ceilings and very hard to find.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Not meant to sound wiseass but--ever heard of a cat?
I knew sooner or later we would agree on something....
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeberry Mary View Post
We did battle with mice when we were in Wisconsin. The only problem with the poison is you don't always find the dead mouse--but the smell can drive you nuts!
I found the best solution when there was a hidden decaying mouse was to use the sort of air fresheners that come in a solid. Airwick is the name I used. The strongest one I used was blue--don't recall the scent. All I know is it was the only thing that could make the smell bearable.

It takes a couple/few days until it stops smelling. During that time use the strongest airwick completely open and try to find that mouse!

The d-con type stuff does kill the mice but in our case they were hiding in walls and ceilings and very hard to find.
That's why we don't use d-con and such here. Growing up, my folks used d-con and that smell was horrible. No way to get away from it, if the mouse was somewhere in the structure. Plus, I'm sensitive to most of the cover-up odors. Thought I was going to have to leave home when my sis mopped the kitchen floor using Pine-Sol. Can't stay around scented candles and such very long either. (sigh) Like some of the aromas, but just can't stay around them for more than a few minutes at the time.

We're doing battle right now with snap traps all over the house where the dog can't get to them. May have to go to sticky traps as we've got at least one of the tiny ones that's avoiding the snap traps.

Happens every fall.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.