BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Regarding all of you who raise chickens & turkeys & that sort of thing.... have any of you ever heard of The Chicken Chick? She has a website & I'm tellin' ya... if you go away from that site not knowing what you need to know about feathered flocks, then you're not lookin' too hard for the info you want.

She talks about cannibalism, sickness, predators, you name it. She listed how to make a tin watering system for the flock that she says takes only a few minutes to make & yet will save you from having frozen drinking water in the winter time for your birds. I've read dozens of people who have tried it & rave about it.

She's a real resource for information. Yes, she's a retired lawyer & no, she's not a homesteader. Her chickens are her pets. But try to look past all that for the "meat" on her website. It's a treasure trove of information & can teach you a lot about your feathered flock so that maybe you don't have to lose as many as in the past.

Just thought I'd share.

Here's her url: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/

Her cookie tin water heater: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/201...-under-10.html

Flock security- chicken wire vs. hardware cloth: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/201...s-chicken.html

Solutions for 5 common problems with baby chicks: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/201...icks-with.html

Broody Breaker- when a hen's mood to hatch should be interrupted: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/201...-to-hatch.html

The list is endless but these are some good articles to start with.

I don't have chickens but if I did I swear I'd use this site as my "chicken bible".
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Humbug,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I noticed you use beef broth for the chili... could you make elk broth and/or use that?

(You can tell I live in a big city, LOL).

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Master Pontificator

Connie you could use elk broth. We usually bone out our elk and I am normally strapped for time and don't make broth from the boness.
March has been a busy one. Our weather has been almost summer like but very dry. We bought three baby pigs to raise for meat and two bred ewes. We hatched out our first set of chicks from the new incubator. The adjustments on the incubator were really touchy but we managed to get an 85 percent hatch rate so we are calling it a success. We got a hoop greenhouse built. I am very happy with it. I am filling it up with all kinds of vegetable and flower plants. We got the first garden rows planted this last week. They included peas, onions, beets, carrots, leeks and radishes. I have lettuce, spinach, chard, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage going in the greenhouse. I will get some pictures posted when I get some time at my laptop. ( I am on my phone right now) Spring is always such a busy time, but I love the work outside.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Default humbugs homesteading adventures

i had an uncle humbug.
i miss him so.
he would raise a garden just like yours.beautiful job and good going on all your adventures.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Master Pontificator

It has been a busy spring and summer here. We purchased two incubators in early spring and hatched out several batches of chicks and poults. Unfortunately while we were gone to a wedding our neighbors dog got in the fence and ripped the chicken wire off the pen and killed the majority of our birds. We just incubated and hatched out two more incubators of babies to replace them. We will be butchering late this year. We just butchered two lambs to put in the freezer and soon will be butchering two pigs. The garden looks ok..not one of my better ones. We had triple digit heat early summer.it really affected the cool weather crops. I am hoping for a good fall crop of my cool weather crops. We have been having problems with skunks digging under and getting in with the laying hens. Hopefully we have finally caught and gotten rid of the last one..I am tired of the stinking things. My rototiller through a rod out of the side of the engine so it is on the to be repaired list. Fishing has been good this year so we are getting quite a few in the freezer. We purchased a smoker and have been smoking trout...those are sure good! We both drew deer and elk tags this year so hopefully will have to purchase another freezer by the end of the year. We I know this is a short recap of the summer, I hope everyone is having a good productive summer.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 AM
Master Pontificator

I thought I posted about a month ago...but looks like it didn't. I have been using my phone for internet so it must not have come through.
We have been very busy. We moved to the 40 acres in elk country about 6 weeks ago. We purchased a 600 ft unfinished cabin to put on our new place. We have gotten the windows in and the doors. We ran the wiring and then we insulated. We are using Trojan L16 batteries charged with a generator and hooked into an inverter for our power. This last weekend we ran 8000 foot of poly pipe to a spring for water. We were really disappointed by the small amount of water we are getting. Maybe as we develop the spring we will get more.it seems like we have been moving slowly...I have to keep reminding myself that thngs take time. We have been having som e bad luck...our dog broke his leg and had to have two surgeries. We had to put new tires on the tractor and two other vehicles we own our road in here is really hard on tires. The pump on our well at our other place went out and we had to go down there and pull the well and put a new pump in it....all setbacks...but we are slowly progressing forward...
Old 08-30-2016, 02:31 AM

Love to see any update pics of your old place and any of your new one too.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Fantastic! Sometimes I'd like to wipe everything out and start over again but... Bet you're excited!

Keep us updated. I'm happy for you.
*Robert Frost*
Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Master Pontificator

We purchase this cabin this past summer. We ordered it with no windows and only one door...it was delivered in June..then we went to work

We cut the first window..what a view!!!!!

Last edited by humbug; 12-12-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Master Pontificator

We were lucky to have help from family and friends for our new home stead. We purchased our windows off craigslist. We purchased then from a contractor who had taken them out of a house when new owners wanted different windows. They were only a couple of years old. We had to take the whole lot..30 winndows..so I have enough for the greenhouse we will build in the spring.

Window #2 goes in

Front Door goes in next
Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Master Pontificator

We then in installed the woodstove

Cutting the hole for the pipe

Not sure why it downloaded this one sideways, and not sure how to fix it but woodstove in and up and running
Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Master Pontificator

We have been busy wiring and insulating. We finally got out cabin tucked in for winter..

We purchased three bred ewes, they are adjusting to their new home well

Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Master Pontificator

We rented a track hoe for the weekend and dug the septic tank hole and leech line, the underground water tank hole, water lines and the hole for the root cellar

We have been working on the new homestead for about 5 months. All of the electrical and plumbing are done. We have finished the insulation and everything is caulked. We have the interior walls framed. We have cabinets in the kitchen. We installed an underground water storage tank fed by a spring.. It has a transfer pump that comes on when the pressure switch on the pressure tank kicks on and pumps water into pressure tank. The pressure tank the feeds water to the house. We installed a septic tank with 100 foot of leech line. Our power is provided by a Trojan L16 battery bank with and inverter the batteries are charged by a generator. We run a refrigerator, small freezer, transfer pump, tv and lights. We are saving for solar panels..maybe in the spring.
The interior of the cabin will be finished with knotty pine which we are saving for.
This week we are hoping to finish the shower and get the rest of the sheetrock up in bathroom. We also need to install our on demand propane water heater. We bought a vent free propane wall heater for heat when we are not home, it needs to be installed too.
I am really surprised at how much time things take to get done. We also live about 140 miles from the nearest Home Depot. So going to get building supplies is usually an all day trip pulling our trailer.
It is taken longer than we thought it would..be we are getting there, and learning to appreciate even small progress!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Fantastic! Sometimes I wish to start over and use the knowledge I have now. I can think of many things I would have done differently if I would have known while I was building..
*Robert Frost*
Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Master Pontificator

Nice pictures. Looks like you will be happy in your new surroundings.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for the pics! I love to actually see what others are doing. Keep up the good work.