BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Beer kit

My neighbor gave me a 2-gallon Mr. Beer kit. He says it is two years old. Should I buy new yeast?

If so, what type do you recommend? It has ingredients for Golden Lager and Blonde Ale.

The kit says they are 3.x% ABV brews. I am thinking of adding 1/2 lb of sugar per gallon. Any thoughts on that?

TIA
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Master Pontificator

buy new yest yeast degrades over time.. also the mr beer kit is ok for playing around but if you want to make some good brew spend some money on a better setup... $70 bucks can get you a nice kit for making 5 gal batch's.. here is a free online book to get a better understanding..

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2man View Post
My neighbor gave me a 2-gallon Mr. Beer kit. He says it is two years old. Should I buy new yeast?

If so, what type do you recommend? It has ingredients for Golden Lager and Blonde Ale.

The kit says they are 3.x% ABV brews. I am thinking of adding 1/2 lb of sugar per gallon. Any thoughts on that?

TIA
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 AM

Primevci, I forgot to say thanks for the reply...

I will order new yeast, thanks.

I don't have room to ferment goodies in volume, right now. So the two-gallon kit will be a fun test to determine if I like brewing and really want to gear up once I get more space.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM

I just saw this thread. Did you make any?

I have a Mr Beer kit. It makes brewing simple, but once you figure it out you can get as complex as you want. You can add different flavors while its fermenting to change the beer. For example you can toss half a peach in the barrel for a couple days and the sugars in it will be ate up by the yeast and change the flavor (I think that's how the science of it works)

I just checked the refill flavors and the new ones are different from what i've made. I think I like the Winter Wheat best. The Ale is good too. However, I didn't care for the Octoberfest tho.

I like to carbonate with sugar rather than Force Carbonation. I think it tastes better.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM

This thread made me smile. Pop used to make beer. He was an experimenter - he'd throw in ANYTHING, including raisins, which looked kind of like dead flies floating in the crock, once they rehydrated! That wasn't his best batch. His favorite joke was "This here is perfect home brew. If it was any worse, you couldn't drink it, and if it was any better and I wouldn't give you any!"

One year he bottled up a batch too soon (mom's tea-totaler folks were coming over and it was stinking up the house) - and he hid it in the woods rather than dump it, as she'd asked him to. We couldn't play in the woods for months because every once in a while another bottle would blow up, shredding leaves and scaring the neighbor's cows.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Master Pontificator

its a great hobby and rewarding in the end.. if you have a place to put a 5 gallon bucket you have room. Just sayin i went from a mr. beerkit to a 5gal 70 dollar setup, to a home made 5 gallon all grain setup. to a 10gal allgrain 2 tier brew stand with pumps and heat exchangers to a recirculating mash heater...

my setup... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKI4_cvZTE yeah i get obsessed with my hobbys..

what this does not show its my freezer converted to a ferment chamber.. and fridge turned into a kegorator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YznuqMqbhY
shows my old all grain setup... kegrator and my old freezer ferment chamber upgraded that to a bigger freezer..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn View Post
This thread made me smile. Pop used to make beer. He was an experimenter - he'd throw in ANYTHING, including raisins, which looked kind of like dead flies floating in the crock, once they rehydrated! That wasn't his best batch. His favorite joke was "This here is perfect home brew. If it was any worse, you couldn't drink it, and if it was any better and I wouldn't give you any!"

One year he bottled up a batch too soon (mom's tea-totaler folks were coming over and it was stinking up the house) - and he hid it in the woods rather than dump it, as she'd asked him to. We couldn't play in the woods for months because every once in a while another bottle would blow up, shredding leaves and scaring the neighbor's cows.
Thats a great story thanks for sharing
Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 AM

S2 - let us know how the first batch turns out!

Sounds like you and I are about to have a new hobby in common. I just bought a 5 gallon kit and have scheduled a brew day with my GF and her Brother - May 3rd.

I can't see how this isn't something that is going to fast become an obsessive activity for me. Our family consumes a vast quantity of beer - and I can easily see getting multiple carboys for a nice rotating stock.

Might be bold words considering I haven't tried this yet, but for work I've been a process expert\chemist and this brewing thing looks like a combination of that and canning, heh.

Lord knows I love canning. What could be better than "canning" beer?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 AM

I started making beer with a Mr Beer kit and had decent results, and enjoyed the experiments. Cherry wheat wasn't bad, with cherries from my sister's cherry tree. Pumpkin spice for Thanksgiving was different, but not for me. Instead of the mess of actually adding pumpkin, I just added some pumpkin pie spice. My favorite experiment was bacon beer. I added some fried bacon to a nut brown ale. It had a smoky salty taste, and it was one everyone liked.

Mr Beer fermenters were nice for experimenting because the batch sizes were smaller. Even though I moved up to 5 gallon batches, I still have 3 of the Mr Beer fermenters just in case I want to experiment again.

If anyone is starting out with the Mr Beer kit, the only suggestion I'd have is forget the booster that comes with the kit, it is just sugar. Instead buy some dry malt extract and use that instead of the booster. You will get a much fuller flavored beer.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 AM

Just bottled up my first batch. I tested 3\4 glass that was left over after the bottling process. Not bad, not finished of course - but makes me very excited about the final product.

Funny thing is, I've purchased a couple of additional carboys and another bucket fermenter, and have two more batches on the shelf.

This may be dangerous.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 PM

I have 4 mr. Beer kits now. It started with my sister getting me one for Christmas. The rest I got from the thrift store for like 4 bucks. The beer gets better each time with practice. Good to know about the booster.