BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Clothing inventory

I'm going through my clothes today, washing, drying, folding, checking for things that need repairs, and the like so I'll be ready for cold weather when and if it get here. So far I know that I have 5 different pair of capri's for hot weather along with 5 blouses that will go with them. These are things that I wear outside the house not when I'm home so they stay nicer looking. I've got at least 5 pair of shorts to wear around the house and at least that many, if not more, tee shirts to wear with them.
I'm also trying to see just what I have, so I can tell what I need to buy for winter wear. I want at least 5 days worth of clothing for winter time to wear outside the house, though I don't need that many outfits to wear inside.
I've got a lot of pair of socks as I bought myself a pack of 13 pair last year just before Christmas and have actually managed to keep up with most of them. I should also have plenty of undies and bra's.
I've got one pair of long john bottoms so I'd like to get at least two more of them and at least two pair of sweat pants and sweat shirts.
I've got one heavy jacket and a windbreaker to wear over it and a full length London Fog coat with a zip out liner that I love.
I tend to wear pajama bottoms and a tee shirt indoors in cold weather as I like to be comfortable and they seem to be the most comfortable thing I've found.
Any one else preparing for winter already?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Master Pontificator

I know we're good for clothes because over the last couple of years while I was still working I stocked up at thrift shops or end of season sales. For inside, dh and I both generally wear sweats. He wears flannel shirts with an T under. I usually layer depending on how cold it is. I buy tank tops at end of summer sales to use as an extra layer rather than buying expensive long john tops. So bra, tank, turtleneck then a sweat shirt on top for me. I buy my sweatshirts a size too large to allow room for layering. We also each have a new winter coat and older coats to wear for rough work. I hate long johns in general and especially under jeans and sweats. If I need long johns I wear them under lined wool pants which are much warmer than jeans and that is usually just for shoveling snow. Inside we keep throws or afgans handy to cover our legs when we're sitting down. We keep the temp at 66 inside during the winter so we need to dress warm.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Anna I don't wear long john tops, just the bottoms under my somewhat dressy pants if I'm going out somewhere on the bus. I don't like tank tops all that much so instead I layer with bra, tee shirt, blouse, and jacket. Depending on whether or not it very windy I sometimes wear a long sleeved tee shirt under the blouse I'm wearing, I think the sleeves to it look better than sleeves to a long john top. I don't need a whole lot of things because I wear my clothes until they're either too stained or worn out to continue wearing. If I can't wear something when I go out somewhere it becomes wear around the house clothing instead. I haven't thrown much out in quite a while because I see no point in it. I did discover while doing the wash today that I have something like 5 blouses in the coral, melon, color range and just one pair of capri's like that. I'm trying to figure out just what other colors that they will go with as I try to mix and match as much as possible. I admit I've gone somewhat overboard with this one color but I'll survive, may see if I can get some tan, khaki, or black pants to wear with it. I've also got two pair of white shorts, knee length, that will go good with it so I'm not doing too bad.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 AM

I wash my clothes when I put away or after wearing. I need two weeks of clothes between washings. With just me.

Clothes I put on in the morning is what I wear for the day. On days I go to city on bus I have been trying to dress a bit better. Pants/slacks are cheaper than jeans to wear really. But wear jeans to store and rec center. Old but good yet.

I have knit tees for every day and have knit tops that are nicer to wear . I set my clothes budget for this year at zero. I have clothes.

I had something fade on my good heavy sweatshirt and tee. I treated the sweatshirt and washed it again and okay. So those heavy sweatshirts will go another winter I am sure. The tee I need to treat or toss out. I donot wear stained stuff like that. No idea what got on it. Just every day.

I only wear sweat pants fot PJ's. I quit wearing any of those knit pull on pants as I saw how awful I looked in them. I went for tailored slacks. I was working and I upgraded my clothes.

I would go through my clothes each fall and discard anything I could not wear anymore for work. With out working now I do not have to buy clothes. I saved the best of the work clothes to wear for city wear. Last pants I bought are too big now and some jeans. I have already tossed out a lot of clothes. Before I got rid of lot of small clothes but had not the pants and jeans. I had just did the closet.

After I got sick and had those shots in the tummy and I have a fat tummy now. I need go through my dresses and toss any I can not wear. I had waited till I got my wt stable. Some of the dresses without waist lines but they are out dated I know. They still wear shifts and basically that is what they are. Material out dated. I have no where here to wear a dress . I guess toss in a big box and put in the shed. Be better to have room for pants and what I can wear can do. Use to be I had to have long dresses for things.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 AM

I just finished folding and putting away the clothes i washed today and the ones I had washed a few days ago. I don't need any clothes for warm/hot weather, I've got at a minimum: 5 pair Capri's; 3 pair of knee length shorts; 7 blouses; 12 tee shirts; and 4 pair of short to wear only around the house. I'm still looking into my winter clothes but so far I've got 2 pair of slacks and one pair of hunting cammo pants along with 5 long sleeve shirts and one heavy short sleeve blouse plus one pair of long john bottoms. Tomorrow I'll dig through my plastic storage bins and see what I have in the way of winter things stored away. I'm looking into buying at least 3 pair of sweat pants and one more pair of dress slacks so I've got things to wear outside the house. I know I've got at least two pair of sweat pants, one of which can only be worn at home and I want at least 3-5 pair to wear when I go out and 2 pair to wear around the house. Since I don't own a dryer I'll have to wash small loads in the winter because it takes things longer to dry. If I can find what I want and need at Goodwill I'll be happy, otherwise I'll hit up Walmart for the sweat pants since I know I can get them for about $7 each new. I've got other things, both summer and winter wear that I need to figure out where I have them stored and see if they're still wearable.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Don't you label your storage bins what is in them? I tape or glue labels to my boxes and bags. I have stuff in bags no boxes. Or number you bins and write a notebook list.

I checked my stuff this spring as I put things away. Long johns in bag, undershirts in another and long sleeved ones in another. Extra socks are boxed and bras and panties. I will maybe need to get out more socks as I have tossed a few. Socks I am wearing are getting thin. I have replacements okay. It is walking shoes I could buy but can get by with out for awhile. But I will watch for them as it does take time.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 AM

Colorado I used to be pretty good at remembering what was where but not anymore. I did get lucky today and find another pair of the charcoal grey sweat pants with the drawstring in the waist, which I detest as it's on the inside and just one giant loop. I'm debating on cutting it then knotting each end so I can tie it in a bow as that's easier to untie when you're in a hurry, which I am a lot of the time. When I had DD and her family living here for about 9 months things got put away without my actually paying attention to what I put where so that's one reason I'm still somewhat confused about just what I have or don't have. lol I've got things, or at least I did at one time that I want to find as I'll need them if it gets really cold this winter.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM

I donot like draw strings either. I want to be able to pull them on and off with out fooling around. More better to sleep in. If I can not figure out to fixed the waist on on be pair I will toss in the rag bag. One pair I can just cut the string off other too big to stay up. They usually seem to fix the waist so you can not just run in some elastic, Elastic seems to go out first.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 AM

Was given some nice clothes and a pair of athletic today by one of the ladies I volunteer with, they had been give to her by a neighbor. Then as I was walking out the door she stopped me and gave me a white tank top with flowers on the front that I love. She also asked me what I needed and I told her not much of anything but if her neighbor has a nice heavy winter jacket I would appreciate having it. I've got a long coat but since I have to walk so far to the bus it's easier to wear sweat pants and a short jacket in the winter. I just hope the shoes fit, they're my size but since I have a wide foot they may not.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Yesterday I wore a tee shirt and sweat shirt and jacket to city. I took off the jacket as it warmed up. Had small blanket with me to on the bus. This rain has cooled things off. I put on a light sweat shirt this morning. Will go to rec center to walk. I need long sleeves. Need to be putting away the tank tops and sleeveless tops. Bus picks me up at the house. No public buses here just senior bus. I have already gone to long seelve PJ's. Arms too cold. One pj bottom the elastic is not tight enough. Still quite good. Wore to ER Sunday. Wear these out before I start on the "new" ones. But have them stacked to the bottom. If get ill may need more. 3 pairs should do me from wash day to wash day. I figure two weeks to get enough for a load.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 PM

It kinda makes me chuckle when I hear about San Antonians preparing for winter.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 PM

Cabin Fever,
I do think they feel the colder weather after being so hot.

It was at least 27 below here in Colorado where I am last winter. And that sets no record for Colorado by any means. I am sure colder where you are. ?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:17 PM

Yep, sometimes it gets cold enough to freeze Jack.....

Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 PM

Over in San Luis Valley it was -35 for three days and on down in the valley more like minus 65. That was 62/63 winter. I was alone with 3 young kids. I had coal. It has been cold enough to freeze thermontors.

It good they have some clothes in case the heat goes off when colder.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:47 AM

Cabin fever-----I have lived in S.Tx. all my life--and love the winter.
This coming winter I am taking a trip(Sons' paying) so I can see the Snake River in the winter.

After living with 100'116; heat indexs' a little cold weather makes us Texans frisky.
Was that JD involved when you took those---Pics of the showering wife? :
Just asking--Giggle.

But I know those sub-zero temps are a bit much----when we get snow here every 7--10 yrs you wouldnt believe how folks bundle up.
temps drop down in the 20 's and pipes freeze--our pipes aren't buried like they are up north.

you look like you have figured out how to ((deal) with it though!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM

Cabin Fever I have lived in several states where it got quite cold in the winter but that was a good 45 year or more ago. I can still tolerate the cold unless it's also rainy, which it can be during the winter here. I've learned to layer my clothing, both when I'm inside and when I go out so I can peel off something if necessary. When I get on the bus in the winter I always take off my jacket or coat, hat, and gloves as I know if I don't I'll really feel the cold when I get back out in it. Learned that many years ago as a child. A couple of winters back we had a spate of 65 hours when the temp never got above freezing and it was also very windy.
I have chronic health problems and because of the medicines I take I've noticed that I don't cope as easily with the different temps we have here as I did when I was a lot younger.
I remember out 13" of snow back in January of '85 very well, it basically shut down the city. My brother, my best friend's kids, and another couple of friends went out behind where we all lived and had a snowball fight, hadn't done that since I was a kid and haven't done it again since. lol
Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM

My wonderful wife (the one in the shower photo) is a Texas native (E. Texas near Nacogdoches). She loves the cold Minnesota weather. She will be joining the forum soon. Look for the name "Wind In Her Hair." She asked that I post this important Pubic Service Announcement for you Texans.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHr7LCVQRw
Old 09-14-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
My wonderful wife (the one in the shower photo) is a Texas native (E. Texas near Nacogdoches). She loves the cold Minnesota weather. She will be joining the forum soon. Look for the name "Wind In Her Hair." She asked that I post this important Pubic Service Announcement for you Texans.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHr7LCVQRw
Nacogdoches is a rocks throw from me.
Tell her to hurry---we'll save the shower pics far her!!! :
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM

I think I will have to refigure how many pairs of PJ's I need so can get though from one wash to the next. Two week. I was figuring 3 sets. But. . . spare or two would be good in case. On the shelf ready and not packed away. When you are old and single things need to be handy.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM

I think I can take winter easier than summer. You can always get warm. Once it gets so hot...well, you can only take off so much. Cold is brisk and brazing. the only thing I do not like about northern areas, winter lasts so long, I am ready to start digging in the dirt. Once we were cutting grass already and we got six inches of snow, had all my potatoes frozen down to the nub May 30th. . Sure can do without that.